Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: I have to say this. page 15

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

@Kay, interestingly enough, last night while waiting for my yoga class to start I wandered into Safeway to take a look around. Apparently full-fat yoghurt does not exist anymore. Nor does whole milk. They have about 30 brands of margarine and "spreadable butter with HEART-HEALTHY canola oil" and on the bottom shelf was two brands of plain butter. TWO. I couldn't find whole milk cheese either. It was all, "reduced fat" or "part-skim" cheese. Organic eggs don't exist either. When I read the labels on a few things, the first ingredient: sugar.

@hippie_mama, lol I get those too. I was at the co-op on Monday, and they had marrow bones, oxtail, bulk bacon and pastured eggs on sale. I bought three dozen eggs, 2lbs bacon (mmm, baconwrapped asparagus with radish-garlic butter) and three bones. The clerk sort of blinked at my choices and stared at me for a while. The guy behind me in line with a cart full of vegetables and beans was giving me that look, you know the one: "THIS IS WHY YOU'RE FAT".

@neidermeyer, I have that problem on the bus. My hips and sides fit into the seat just fine, my fat comes out from my belly and chest, not from the side, but I have very broad shoulders and they stick out to the side. No matter how fat or not fat I am, that's still going to be there.

Charentais Guest

"But! But! Some of my best friends are fat people!"

Oy vey.

Can we just eliminate the "but some of my best friends are____!" excuse/disclaimer/qualifier/whatever, from the English language?

Drives me crazy.

hippie_mama is offline Member

That's the look i'm talking about. If only people could see how ugly they look while they're doing it... he he he.

verdilak is offline Member

@hippie_mama & @paleo_piper But those same people wouldn't even blink if you had a cart full of cereal, bread, low-fat or fat-free over-processed crap, and bags of chips. Because that is what is in their cart, more or less. No one wants to think that what they are eating, not how much, is what makes you gain weight.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

I was thinking about something else today that I believe is relevant to this topic.

Most of us are here on MDA because the primal blueprint has given us the ability to change *some* aspect of our life for the better.

I've never struggled with obesity. I'm 5'5 and the most I ever weighed was about 150lbs (In case you're wondering, I'm about 135lbs now, but with a heck of a lot more muscle than I've ever had in my life). Most of the points that I could make about CW and obesity in America (and elsewhere) have already been made.

However, I had terrible acne throughout my teenage years, which, in retrospect, I believe was due largely to eating junk. This wasn't just the normal acne that teens get due to hormonal changes, it lasted pretty much from when I was 11-12 until I was about 19-20. Coincidentally, the summer I turned 19 (2007) was when I went low-carb/cut out sugar, and the year after that (2008-2009 school year) was when I really started getting more primal. And guess what, that's when my acne really started to clear up, and is pretty much gone at this point.

Still, as an issue of physical appearance that was pretty damaging to my self-esteem, I'd like to think that having dealt with that gives me the experience and ability to sympathize with what people who struggle with obesity feel.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Chunster495 is offline Member

Wow... what a thread... what else can I add except that mean people suck and they don't seem to change easily.

Dagny is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I got a few funny looks at the Co-Op today when I bought 3 dozen eggs, a chicken, salmon, and beef ribs. My veggies came from the CSA yesterday, so I didn't need to buy any at the co-op, but I could tell the "this is why you're fat" looks from those in line behind me.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415