Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: I have to say this. page 13

hippie_mama is offline Member

Shop Now

I agree that, painful as some of it is, it's better to have it all out there.

verdilak is offline Member

I've got to say that while I was eating bad, when I was drinking my 2nd or 5th soda of the day, when my hand was reaching into the chips... I knew that what I was doing was wrong. That I was trying to lose weight, not gain it. But I still did it. It made me feel better in the same way that smoking a cig after a stressful day used to make me feel better.

I "chose" to eat those chips and to drink that soda, as well as the 40 cal/slice whole grain bread and whatnot, becasue it made me feel better. I can see now that I was addicted to the sugar. I had no more real choice than anyone else who is addicted to something. But, as this thread shows, some people do not see what is really going on.

With that said, I dislike anyone in my personal space besides my wife and kids. I dont like hugs from even my family members, I never have. I dont like sitting next to anyone regardless of the situation, it makes me uncomfortable if it's at the movie theatres or at a long table at a restaurant, or in an airplane.

When I got involved with Primal/Paleo, I started to see fat and fatty deposits on people differently. Fat is nothing to be ashamed about, regardless of what society says about it. Society is the one who should be ashamed for shoving their misinformation down our gullets because they are getting lobbied and paid to do it.

And to those who say to eat less and exercise more in order to lose weight, that is what society says as well. Just because you are eating Primal instead of CW, doesnt give anyone the right, here especially, to say that sort of thing.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

the UK is adopting more of the SAD and increasing their consumption of processed foods. actually, much of the world is doing so, albeit on a smaller scale than the UK. america is exporting its damaging food culture and food supply globally.

certainly it's not as simple as 'eating too much makes you fat', but there is relationship between food and body weight and body fat, though not a simple or easy one. there is also, more tenously, relationship between how one gets around and one's body composition.

we wouldn't all be here if we didn't think what we ate and how we move/live didn't have pretty big effects on how we look and feel.

surely we can acknowledge that much amicably.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

hi everybody,

its been awsome to read everybodys personal stories - this board has felt like a big family to me even im not a frequent poster. this thread hit a nerve.

i was a chubby child and an overweight teenager living with a skinny sister who happens to have a constantly mean disposition - so i got to hear how disgustingly fat i was every day (at height 140 - 168 cm and weight no more than 70 kg at my heaviest). I lost the weight during my senior year in highschool eating nothing but a big bowl of carrotsalad and a bun during school and minimum amounts of healthy homemade foods at home. I grew up in a country with no fastfood whatsoever and had always eaten healthy - i just loved my food and i wasnt into sports then. its been a much bigger challenge to get from unhealthy skinnyfat to where i am now. - thats just my story. nowadays my dear sis comments every single time we meet that i look like a man and how disgusting muscles are on a woman - well couldnt give a ratsarse today about such comments.

just wanted to say - i feel for people struggling with their weight because i know the hurt.

i have to say that at least here where i live (our O6/O3 ratio is 4/1 consuming the average diet + and very small average fructose consumption) being obese is quite hard to achieve unless you really have a underlying metabolic disadvantage.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

goneprimal is offline Member

Griff, just as you advocate sympathy for the obese, try to be sympathetic to others. All humans are flawed, especially in our perceptions of others. Any negative, judgemental comment you encounter is a direct result of that commenter's frightened and insecure, yet socially reinforced, interpersonal tactics to gain acceptance.

As an obese person, you have likely endured much pain from being ostracized. Let it go - it is in the past. Enjoy who you are now, an expert at weight loss and PB - and view any further derision as the aggressor's problem, not yours.

I also am flawed, and with this post I am trying to help you, and others reading this, in the same spirit you help me with your expert posting on cholesterol, etc.

Best of luck.

hecha Guest

You don't want to be treated differently? You are different. Quit rationalizing and accept it.

robmedina is offline Member

hmm, the more I learn about what made me obese ( I would not be considered obese by looking at me, although clinically I am) the more sorry I feel for obese people (myself included)

I hate, HATE, being fat. I went from 305lbs to 195lbs by eating a high protein diet and exercising. I felt that eating "right" and moving my body was the answer. I got to a good weight and found my love for running. I even ran a marathon.

I enjoyed running so much that I began hanging out with other runners. While training for my marathon they informed me of proper nutrition and hydration. Carb loading was what a "runner" needed to do in order to complete the 26.2 mile distance. Well, I ended up gaining 25lbs while training for my marathon. People blamed it on my "lack of discipline" WHAT? I am running over 50 miles a week! Calories in vs calories out, right?

After my marathon I was still running 40 miles a week even though I was not training for anything. In a running group there seems to be this notion that you should ALWAYS be marathon ready. I ended up getting hurt. My IT band got wrecked and I could not run, heck I could barely walk for a few weeks.

I reduced my calories down to 1400 a day while I took a break. I gained 47 pounds while I could not run, ALL from a restricted caloric diet. I did not choose THAT.

I started doing research on my own and found out about this thing called insulin resistance, aka Metabolic Syndrome. I had all the symptoms. I started cutting my carbs to nill and weight started coming off.

Now I am back to running as my IT band has healed. I have been LC since Feb 4th and have lost 23lbs. My running has improved as well with this diet (I hate calling it a diet)

So now that I KNOW, I actually am feeling quite offended at shows like The biggest Looser- because it affirms the idea that fat people just need to move and eat a restrictive caloric diet.

Well, I guess I don't have to much more to add, other than what I already stated. Like Griff said, to make a choice, one would need to know ALL the choices.

robmedina is offline Member

ATHENA writes "However, that is a small percentage of people who are overweight. The majority of the people who are overweight is typically an issue of overindulgence, not eating healthy, or lack of sufficient excersize."

Typically an issue of overindulgence, not eating healthy or a lack of sufficient exercise.....

I wish you could meet my buddy Dennis, who I call Freak of Nature. He is sedentary, junk food and beer consuming-holic and over indulges in everything he eats and drinks, which is mostly pizza, cheesteaks, and man does he love his sweets- cake and ice cream, oh and drinks probably a case of beer a day YET he is 155lbs and has a six pack. You would not call him these things if you saw him. Yet I would stand next to him. 5'10" tall

1 in 4 people are insulin resistant - that is 25% of the population. what happens in people who are insulin resistant is that when they eat (a SAD diet), the cells walls are resistant to insulin (that would normally take the glucose and use it for energy) so the glucose gets carried into the liver where it is converted into fat and stored. All the while, the pancreas create more insulin to try and break through the cell walls- thus creating more hunger, etc- it is a never ending cycle- you end up getting fatter and fatter, not because you have no will power, but because your body is so desperately trying to get energy, but yet you have consumed enough calories, it is just that your body isn't using them correctly. Well I am not going to get more into this- there is a ton of material on this.

On a side note- eating the boxes of pizza thingies, and "junk food" is so much cheaper than eating the "healthy" foods.

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

I've witnessed the change "CW" can bring on in my own home country. I come originally from the middle east and in school very very few people were fat (literally 4 or 5 kids) and they were by no measure obese, just chubby. I can't even remember a person in my direct family that was overweight, maybe my grandma but after 8 kids and middle age she's allowed to be a bit chubby. Although some candy or processed food was available I had never heard of "low fat" food or diets until I hit my late teens around 10 years ago.

Now low fat is all the rage, people ask for very lean meat (when before asking for pieces of lamb fat was the norm) and you can find zero fat yogurt in even the smallest grocery store. The last few years when I went back to visit, I was sad to see several of young cousins seriously fat, and definitely more kids running around overweight. The chic women on tv morning shows recommending what you guys refer to as CW.

I have to admit, I used to look at fat people (or alcoholics for that matter) as ones without control, that was pure ignorance. Right now I just feel frustration that I know something that might help but would be invading their privacy to share it.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Great thread, thanks for everyone sharing their stories. It helped me understand how people end up in that situation.

It seems most people here are trying to improve themselves and got in this situation by "eating right" and are just the exceptions. That would explain them finding this place... trying to figure out what is wrong.

That doesn't apply to most people though it seems. I see what people are eating in our cafe at lunch. They say they don't have time to workout. They are the overweight norm.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast