Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to say this. page 12

Darthash is offline Senior Member

I have no problem with overweight people, my best mate is overweight, i love him to death, I have never been really over wait, heaviest i have been is about 112kg, I am 5'3 and now i am 65 kg.

I don't want to be hurtful here or anything, but I don't like people i don't know in my personal space, doesn't matter if they are skin and bones, or 4 times my size. if someone sits next to me and is invading my space, i feel like i need to get out of there.

Although i do understand how you would feel, I do not agree that you should have to buy 2 seats, I think the airlines should accomodate bigger size people by making seats that arn't so bloody small. eh, I am small and even the airline seats i have been in feel like they are for children.

I liked your read, and i read alot of you post, so i vote you should stay

Ash

FairyRae2 Guest

[quote]

By now I would think that most of us should understand that obesity is a physiological disorder caused by a bad quality diet that results in *chronic hunger*, a *distorted metabolism* and *very high* proclivity for weight gain, even in a low calorie intake.

Saying that people are fat because they eat too much, and that the only thing they need to do to become lean is eat less an work out more is a gross oversimplification.</blockquote>

Thank you SS for bringing us back to the science of it all.

And Katt, ITA about the addiction factor. Both gluten and dairy have opioid like aspects. Dropping gluten, for me, sent me into a state of withdrawl similar to how I felt dropping caffeine. That &#39;low carb flu&#39; many PBers describe is, IMO, highly linked to dropping gluten...Food is soooo powerful--as many of you have said, it&#39;s NOT just about willpower.

stop_hammertime Guest

Hippie_mama- Was that directed at me? If it was I am afraid I didn&#39;t articulate my point very well.

Acmebike is offline Member

Well, this thread gave me something new to work on during Lent. Thanks for that Griff and all contributers!

hippie_mama is offline Member

@stop_hammertime: The last thing i said? Oh no, not at all It was for the people who are being persistently negative about the whole &#39;fat people don&#39;t try/don&#39;t do enough/etc.&#39; thing.

animalcule is offline Senior Member

Griff! Awesome post! I also consider myself an FAer and I read Kate Harding.

I&#39;m really disappointed in the fat predjudice I see in the greater primal/paleo community (not Mark in the least) as well as in the real world. There&#39;s such a lack of any compassion for fat people from so many. It&#39;s sickening sometimes what people will assume from the way someone looks, and the things they say, to your face and behind your backs, are truly wrong. Being a fat person is incredibly difficult.

As someone who has always had a BMI of 17 no matter what her lifestyle was (eating lots of sugar and not moving much for most of the last decade) it&#39;s been obvious to me that people do not choose what they weigh or how they look. Reading GCBC really drove this home...

Griff is offline Senior Member

First of all... I&#39;ve been away dealing with a horrible motor vehicle department issue pretty much all day. I have not been here watching this thread unfold.

For those of you who&#39;ve said "I don&#39;t feel welcome here now," PLEASE DON&#39;T LEAVE. The only way that the word will get out is if we&#39;re here saying "You know what? That belief about fat people is every bit as much CW BS as the belief that grains are good for you." Please don&#39;t leave.

Those of you espousing the CW BS - I ask you to think about what you&#39;ve been saying and start looking at your assumptions about fat people, the same way you&#39;ve looked at your assumptions about nutrition and diet. SerialSinner is correct, no matter how much you want it to be otherwise.

To everyone: Thank you for participating in this thread. I&#39;m stunned at how long it&#39;s gotten and how many personal and painful stories have been shared here. That&#39;s not what I intended when I started it, but I hope that it&#39;s been cathartic and healing for those who have shared.

And now, unfortunately, I have to go. I have a five-day exam starting in thirty-six hours, and I&#39;m completely overwhelmed.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

Two things: First, I always get annoyed when people "across the pond" say they have fewer obesity problems. Sorry, but when I was there last summer, I saw many obese natives - as many as here. The junk food eaten in England is deplorable and as bad as any here. My daughter lived there for 6 months and she had great difficulties finding fresh vegetables and fruits (unless she went to Harrod&#39;s and paid extravagant prices on a student&#39;s income).

Second - We have proven Griff&#39;s point quite well, I think. There have been several on this thread that have spouted the typical CW: fat people eat too much or don&#39;t exercise enough. I was thin until after I had my daughter. I used to blame it on the pregnancy, but it coincided with my foray into the world of diets. Diets made me fat - I ate what I was told was healthy - "good" carbs, vegetables, fruits, lean meat - and I kept getting fatter on every diet known to man and exercising out the wazoo. I started gluten-free and then primal and even not sticking to it 100%, I have lost 15 lbs without any regular exercise and eating wonderful food. It&#39;s the "food in-food out" not "calories in-calories out." Disbelievers, wade through Good Calories, Bad Calories PLEASE. It will open your eyes.

What do I think when I see someone who is overweight? I am sad because I know they are where I was (and still am to some extent), and I want to tell them there is a solution, but I know they would be appalled if I did. When I talk about food at school in the context of our Biochemistry unit in Anatomy, I see the heavier girls perk up, hope gleaming in their eyes, but too afraid to ask questions. I try to anticipate their questions and answer in a way that is directed to all, not just them. I hope they listen and realize I am telling them their fat is NOT their fault, but the fault of a society bought off by Big Ag and Big Pharm.

stop_hammertime Guest

I am not sure where in the UK they are from, but in England their obesity rates are not much below ours....and growing. I was surprised by that comment as well.

BBC: Obesity Rate Triples

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1170787.stm

stop_hammertime Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@hippie_moma- Phew good. I was nervous there for a second.

@Griff- Thank you for having the balls to do this. It was cathartic (if not a little upsetting) to have it all out in the open.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast