Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help out my friend - crashing around 4pm each day page

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member

help out my friend - crashing around 4pm each day

Shop Now
    a chance to help someone out and keep them going forward with primal! we just have to figure out what the hell is goin on..

so a very good friend of mine crossed over to the primal lifestyle about 1.5 weeks ago.. actually his wife who is veggie is going 80% or so as well .. he is still eating limited dairy, and eating nuts .. usually the only dairy is if he is falling asleep at work and has a milk around 5pm ..

issue is that every day around 4pm he starts to drag ,.,, hes not hungry ... but just gets dead tired .. hes getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night

eating is about like this daily:

1700 calories
    80g fat
    80-90g protien
    60-70g carbs

5'11" - was 210 at the start, down to 200 in about 1.5 weeks .. his goal is 185, but more importantly just in better all around shape and feeling better.. hes younger than i am, i think like 28? and he works on his feet and is active in his personal life with walking, biking, etc..

hes enjoying the energy in the morning and waking up without being drowsy, but these afternoon crashes are tough.. and i dont want him giving up.. his wife is having the issues too

hes only hungry enough for 2 meals a day ..

i never had this issue.. what do you guys think? seems like maybe extended carb flu? but thats a while .. his wife and him ate a lot of carbs prior as he was eating vegetarian part time with her cooking... lots of sandwhiches, rice, potatoes, etc ...

let's save one!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Depends on his carb delivery (and accuracy of his carb estimates), but he could just simply be doing a normal "spike and crash" if he's getting a big chunk of those carbs in one meal.

It's also possible he's spiking insulin with the milk (lactose), and crashing thereafter. And it could very well be carb flu.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    couple of thoughts... that's a pretty low level of calories for a guy his size; never heard of drinking milk as a 5pm pick-me-up.

yeah he doesnt drink it until he gets to the point of passing out .. no idea how it picks him up either but it does LOL

spike and crash could work .. hmmm ...

as far as calories i think that might be the main issue, but hard to force yourself to eat, ya know?

we will see, any more opinions?

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i felt draggy & super tired every afternoon for like 2 or 3 wks when i first dropped grains. I was eating a ton of dried fruit & nuts at that crash time. Needed the sugar & fat to get thru it for those few wks. It took me 4 wks to transition & about 6 wks for my husband. Your friend is probably just deep in carb flu. 1.5 wks is not long enough to fully transition IMHO.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I'm no pro- only one month in myself. My first thought is not enough protein for his size. I've been having intermittent afternoon crashing and just realized (through food journaling) that I wasn't eating nearly enough protein. I'm going to agree that 1.5 weeks isn't enough transition time. I hope he'll stick it through!

This is another random suggestion, but I know I feel a lot more energetic with LHT. Strength exercises do it for me where even mild cardio on it's own just doesn't.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

come to think of it i ate less calories than that for the first 3-4 months

quick bump .. im agreeing with the carb flu theories

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    What's he eating for breakfast?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Probably carb flu if he just started less than two weeks ago. Have him move a majority of his protein to the early meal and most or all of his carbs to his late meal. 1700 calories is about my maintenance range, and I'm a moderately active 5'4" female. I'm thinking he's not eating enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast