Thread: Quinoa.. anyone know anything about it? page

verdilak is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Severaly people have told me about Quinoa since it is gluten-free, and can be used like a grain. But I've also heard that it is more like a fruit than anything else.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

It's a seed rather than a grain, and does contain "complete" protein (ie all essential amino acids).

I think on PB it's in the "lesser evil" category along with rice.

Not great, you could eat something much better instead, but it probably won't kill you

Actually it's quite a nice taste, looks a bit like frogspawn when it's cooked though, hehe.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I'd avoid it if you are trying to lose weight.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

@NMG - frogspawn! That's hilarious! I've never thought of that before, but you're right - quinoa does look like that!

@verdilak: definitely soak quinoa overnight with a little yogurt or whey (drained from the yogurt) in it a'la WAPF/Nourishing Traditions or you might, uh, be sorry in an unhappy GI tract sort of way.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

As far as grains go, it is the least terrible. It has a bit more protein and fiber than brown rice, a lot more nutrients, no gluten, and for a grain a relatively low GI. If you are watching your insulin spikes, it still isn't a good idea.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Eat it every 10 days on my "re-feeds", doesn't bloat at all and no noticeable negatives such as acne or anything. Gluten-free/ancient grain... much better then the other grains out there

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

maba is offline Senior Member

Quinoa has a coating of saponin, which is bitter-tasting. Quinoa that comes boxed has the saponin removed, but if you buy it from bulk-bins in health food stores, they may still have the saponin coating. So if you decide to eat it, make sure you rinse it thoroughly and soak it. Quinoa sprouts very easily, it takes just a couple of hours. Sprouting reduces the anti-nutrients and may increase the nutrient content.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I used to eat some quinoa back when I was a WAPFer. It seems to be alright from the standpoint of "avoid gluten" and so on, but it's still higher in carbs. Plus, it takes some soaking/spouting to get it to taste alright. But IIRC, it makes a pretty decent sprouted salad.

There are worse things. I'd only eat it if I were already at my target weight and for the 20% rule. Something to be enjoyed now and then, but not always.

verdilak is offline Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to avoid it, I'm 100% Primal, but it might be something to bring up to my wife and kids.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal