Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the Switch page

boarderbabe13 is offline Junior Member

Making the Switch

I'm one week into this whole new way of eating for me. I quit all soda and caffeine (soda, coffee,tea) cold turkey and immediately adopted this new way of eating. I felt great right off the bat, but I notice I am still feeling the symptoms of no caffeine, although it's getting better. During the middle of the day I desperately want a nap. I also was doing fantastic for the first few days, but started craving my pastas and sweeth stuff again. I'm trying really hard....and trying to compat those cravings keep a bar of dark chocolate on my desk and will eat one square to help cure the cravings. However, I'm officially one week in, and I don't know if this is normal to experience this, but all I can think of right now is carb overload. I can't really give up pastas and grains completely (I have two small children at home.) I have however decided if we must have a meal that has some sort of grain I use gluten free only.

I guess my question to everyone here is, how long does it typically take for your body to adjust, and how did/do you combat yoru cravings?

Thank you

Kacie

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Wait... What do children have to do with you being grain-free? I don't see the connection here.

Every time you succumb to your cravings it will prolong your suffering. Stop now. Same thing with grains. Small doses will make it harder. Quit the chocolate and have some coconut oil or butter instead. The fat will fuel you without having sugar.

Most people seem to take a few days to a week, occasionally more, but there are a lot of variables that we can't account for here. Yes, carb flu kinda sucks. Eat more fat and protein.

Caffeine isn't the worst thing ever. A cup of coffee or tea each morning might be something you can continue if you want.

DebraL is offline Junior Member
    It'll get better!! I didn't go cold turkey, so I don't have an answer that is supported by experience -- but I've heard that it takes about a week. I've been doing the program for about 2-3 weeks now and I was a sugar addict to the extreme! Right now, I drink decaf coffee (with heavy whipped cream and 1 cube of sugar) and I also drink decaf tea with a little honey in it. That little bit of sweet seems to really help, yet it's not enough to feed my "sugar gremlin"!! I only have one cup of coffee in the morning and one cup of tea at night (instead of snacking) and it really has helped those darned sugar cravings and they're almost gone now. I would encourage you to download the reader-contributed recipe books that you can get on this website for free (just subscribe to the newsletter). Chocolate is my nemesis, so I couldn't keep a bar on my desk or I'd just be fueling my sugar addiction, instead I made the Coconut Flour Cupcakes (the recipe is in the book) and they are a special primal treat for me that I look forward to. Hang in there Kacie!!

DebraL is offline Junior Member
    Every time you succumb to your cravings it will prolong your suffering. Stop now. Same thing with grains. Small doses will make it harder. Quit the chocolate and have some coconut oil or butter instead. The fat will fuel you without having sugar.
    Words of wisdom. I should drink my coffee and tea without sugar or honey, too!!

Debra

I can't do coconut because I'm allergic.

And as for the kids thing, I have very active kids. They don't get sugars or sweets, but to make sure they're getting proper nutrition. My son is a snowboarder and skateboarder and recently taking up wrestling. So I'd like to continue to fuel his diet properly without gluten.

Kate_Tower is offline Member
    There are plenty of athletes who are primal and they can get the carbs they need for activities by eating sweet potatos or an occasional white potato. Search MDA and there are plenty of articles about the carb loading myth for athletes.

I had the "carb flu" for a few days and then it went away. About a week later my sugar gremlin pitched a fit. Too bad you cannot do coconut butter. I use that to fight the cravings. I also buy one chocolate bar 70% or greater of free trade organic. This week, it is green & blacks. I only get one a week. So, I can dole it out or I can eat it all but when its gone, its gone.

As far as only a little carbs through grains, even a little is harmful. It's like being "a little pregnant", not possible. You cannot have just a little because it does not allow your gut to heal. It also will prolong your cravings. I had some of my birthday cake this week-end and it resulted in my eating way beyond my 80/20 ratio! Today, I have noticed my cravings are back.

Are you allergic to tree nuts? If you are not, try almond or cashew butter. No sugar. Just the nut butter itself. That may help with the cravings. You could also try some fruit as well. Someting that is lower in carbs but still gives you that sweet taste with no grains or sucrose.

Good luck!!!!

Thank you everyone. And this may sound like a stupid question....but I thought one of the main reasons that grain was so bad was because of gluten. I was making the assumption that if I did the occasional italian night with gluten free pasta I would be ok. Kate...that's what I've done with my chocolate. One bar and when it's gone it's gone. I'm sure this is easier for so many people, I however am such an extremely picky eater and learning to overcome many of my food aversions as I go, so this is a huge struggle for me, but I'm committed. I live in the breadbasket of the world, corn reins supreme here. Trying to get others to do this with me is hard as hell. So I've come here looking for the encouragement, and when I feel like I'm losing my battle with the cravings, hopefully can come here and get that bit of encouragement I need to keep going.

mnp403 is offline Junior Member
    Does coffee (with no sugar, just a bit of cream) make a big difference? I drink 3 to 4 cups a day. Is that a problem on the primal blueprint?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Coffee makes me sick as a dog. Per my doctor I was advised not to drink it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast