Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian and Primal? page

mjw812 is offline Junior Member

Vegetarian and Primal?

I'm a Vegetarian and am interested in going Primal. Can it be done and if so, how?

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Are you strict vegetarian or ovo-lacto (pescetarian?)?

I don't eat any meat/fish and or foods that contain them but I do eat all dairy products.

I think you could, as long as you had eggs and dairy in your diet. It would be difficult, as you'd really have to keep an eye on your protein and fat consumption, but doable. I think it'd get repetitive quickly though, given your limited choices for protein.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's optimal, but it can be done. You'll be eating a lot of eggs, though.

Are you vegetarian for ethical reasons?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

I'm Vegetarian because I don't like the idea of all the additives in meat/fish. I can't afford to go completely organic/free range so to just stop eating animals seemed like the most sensible option. In addition to dairy produce I also eat beans, nuts and legumes for protein.

What is the recommended protein requirement for an adult female weighing 210 lbs?

Well, beans (legumes) are out with primal, and nuts are something to be eaten more sparingly. In terms of affording meat - look for someone local to you. They may not be labeled certified organic (there's a lot of hoops to jump through), but their meat may be quite healthy. Plus, you can sometimes find cheaper prices.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw812 View Post
    I'm Vegetarian because I don't like the idea of all the additives in meat/fish. I can't afford to go completely organic/free range so to just stop eating animals seemed like the most sensible option. In addition to dairy produce I also eat beans, nuts and legumes for protein.

What is the recommended protein requirement for an adult female weighing 210 lbs?
    Your protein intake in grams should be about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass at the weight you want. Take your goal weight (150lbs, for example), subtract about 20% (average healthy female body fat percentage) and you come up with about 130 pounds. That's about 130 grams of protein per day, averaged over a week or so.

A lot of us have found that our grocery bills have gone down from primal. Yes, I buy more expensive foods, but I eat out less and don't need as much to be satisfied. I used to eat until I was full, but now I can cut myself off without any trouble.

To avoid the additives, I'd say start with small oily fishes. Those aren't farmed (that I know of) and they are low enough on the food chain that their levels of mercury and such are very low.

As lexie mentioned, go out and find a local farmer. Even if they aren't certified, they may still follow organic principles. You can ask, and check things out. It's a good way to get fresh whole milk as well.

Finally, Amish chicken, if it's available in your area. These people don't even use oil products to move around or plow their fields. Their chicken is delicious, and I don't even really like chicken.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Finally, Amish chicken, if it's available in your area. These people don't even use oil products to move around or plow their fields. Their chicken is delicious, and I don't even really like chicken.
    I am SO jealous! We don't exactly have a huge Amish population here in Vegas...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try the search function on the forum. The topic has come up once a month for the past 2 years. For me, the answer is flat out NO, but whatever gets you off processed crap and eating real food is a step in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast