Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: The Toxic Truth About Sugar page

jammies is offline Senior Member

RE: The Toxic Truth About Sugar

Primal Fuel
    I think this is a very interesting article on limiting sugar access for kids - particularly high fructose corn syrup. Since it is published in Nature maybe people will start listening at schools and activities. I'm not a fan of the tax it idea, but restricting it in schools seems like a logical choice to me.

http://www.nature.com.laneproxy.stan...l/482027a.html
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    You have access we don't. Lustig makes the same argument here Food Law Society co-sponsors TEDx conference on food policy (video)

I've had enough regulation, thank you. That's what got us to the point we're at now, better it all go away.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Sorry - I will figure out how to post the actual paper later.

I couldn't actually agree more - I'm not interested in the legislation part. I heard the author of this study this morning on the radio - really, he is not that interested in the legislation part. He just wants people to get started talking about the fact that we pump kids full of sugar 24/7 these days and we need to come together to decide it is not that much different than offering tobacco or alcohol at every event.

An example of this, for me, is that when I take my nephews to soccer or baseball there is always a sugary drink AND sugary snack offered afterwords. There are also snacks for sale during the games. Personally, I don't see why we have to give out snacks at all these events. Kids do NOT need all of it. However, if you say anything people freak out. I think it is great that the idea is coming up other places now.

Schools also - why do kids have access to sugar at school every single day of the week. It's crazy to me.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    IvyBlue- While I am right with you on the disgust for regulations, I think that lowering the sugar tariffs (to protect the very few sugarcane growers we have in the States) and eliminating subsidies for corn and ethanol would have a huge impact on the use of HFCS. HFCS is only used because of the corn subsidies and sugar import tariffs. Imported sugar from South America would probably be cheaper, if not for the government intervention already in place.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    All subsidies/tariffs being eliminated probably would lead to cane sugar taking back the market from HFCS which might be preferable to the same extent that a no additive cigarette is preferable to a chemical laden one. Watch the bastards tax cane sugar and leave HFCS alone, can't upset voters in Iowa now, can we.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    That whole kids have to snack is preposterous. My daughter goes to the afternoon kinderdarden, from 12 pm to 3:20 pm. They have snack time in that 3 hour stretch right after lunch & I have to pack her a snack. Huh?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

activia is offline Senior Member
    that's what happens when your body runs off sugar, you need more of it every 2-3 hours or you have major blood sugar drops and can't focus.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    That whole kids have to snack is preposterous. My daughter goes to the afternoon kinderdarden, from 12 pm to 3:20 pm. They have snack time in that 3 hour stretch right after lunch & I have to pack her a snack. Huh?
    Sounds ridiculous but my DD is in 1st grade and they still have snack. I'm kind of for it. They only give them 20 minutes to eat lunch. I don't know about your kid but mine takes a heck of a lot longer to eat than that. I would prefer they take the 20 minutes from snack time and add it to lunch time but it won't happen.

I don't have a problem with a snack - it's the fact that it is cookies, juice, and chocolate milk. On healthy days they have pretzels and cheese.

Kids do need to eat a bit more frequently than adults I think - but every two hours with sugary crap annoys me.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree. The supplied snack at DD's school is awful (poptarts and cheezies) so I send in one for her. Usually a sliced apple, wedge of cheese and a square of 86% dark chocolate. She loves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast