Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Mommymd's LCHF journal page 7

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    2 weeks into my whole 30. I've noticed a lot more hunger. I read the official Whole 30, and it seems I'm missing some protein due to my intermittent fasts, so for the next 2 weeks, I'm full Whole 30. Eating 3 meals and a post workout meal.

Last night my DH made pulled pork in the slow cooker. He got it from here:

http://everydaypaleo.com/2012/01/09/...y-pulled-pork/

We pulled it, mixed it with a smoky bbq sauce, and served it with a peach and avocado salsa and lettuce wraps. DS1 said it was the best thing he ever tasted. I tracked all my food yesterday and came up with over 2300 calories, 71% fat, 18% protein, and 12% carbohydrate. That was a breakfast of a whole can of coconut milk with .5 c blueberries, .5 banana, 2 raw egg smoothie. (felt nauseous after that much coconut milk, but my elimination of solids today was devine) Lunch 2 oz chicken patty with kimchee (not tracked) one avocado and some red pepper strips. Snack almonds. Dinner as above. (BBQ sauce also not tracked) Overall missing some carbohydrates in the tracking. Works out to .7 g/lean body weight of protein for the day.

Today I had 1.5 eggs for breakfast cooked in butter and half an avocado, then worked out and had a post work out sweet potato/salmon mashup within 30 mins of working out. Then an hour later had a lamb rib chop fried with rosemary and oregano and a salad of mixed greens, roasted tomatoes from the garden, red peppers and onions. I was still hungry at the end of lunch so I had a large hunk of corned beef brisket (conventional meat) Went for a 1 hr nap, then woke up hungry again! So I had broth with coconut oil and 2 figs wrapped in proscuitto. Still a little bit hungry, but dinner is in 1 hour so I'm going to tough it out.

My weight is still in the plateau 3lb range. I think I'm going to try to start muscle building and forget what that number is on the scale. I can't seem to get my BMI into the normal range.

My last post I was missing cheese. Now I'm missing cheese and chocolate. And a latte with HWC. It will be good to be done this.

Today I bought a black foam roller. I've had a knee pain for the last month or so. Deep knee squats and lunges aggravate it as does stretching the quad under load conditions. I went to my fantastic physio who feels it's due to a tight quad, and too much squatting. She also had some concerns about my squat technique. I have been putting my weight into my heels. She suggested to modify it by shifting a little weight forward, but keeping the heels on the ground. The roller is to try to passively stretch the muscles.

mommymd

Finished my Whole30. Really stopped at 28 because of Our anniversary. (to break my whole 30 I made an amazing scandanavian flourless chocolate cake- more sugar than I've eaten in the last 6 months I'm sure) The second two weeks were much better. I still did miss cheese in my salads, but the hunger was better. I stopped intermittent fasting for the last two weeks. Ate a high protein breakfast, usually eggs and meat. I also added some sweet potato and salmon as my post workout meal, as advised in the Whole30.

Overall no weight loss. Did seem to get leaner in my arms and shoulders and, dare I say it, thighs. Belly is quite jiggly but smaller. Actually have been in this 2 lb plateau band since the beginning of April, so if I didn't have my monthly pictures I know I would have been very frustrated due to the scale not moving.

One of the women at work who started this back in the spring had lost over 20 lbs, and her periods became regular. That is, until they stopped. It seems she got pregnant. She had a history of infertility in the past. Another PB baby.

Mid October will be one year since going low carb. In that time two family members have been diagnosed with heart disease. Both skinny, active, SAD eating men. Inspite of all that I have read over the past year, I still sometimes fear that what I'm doing is going to lead me to heart disease. I'm never changing back. I have been avoiding going to the doctor though, because I don't want to deal with her. If only I could find a primal friendly doc in Toronto.

Look for my success pics mid October.

Mommymd

Over a month since I posted. Continuing to find this way of living very easy. Mornings are less hectic because I usually don't make a complicated breakfast. If I'm hungry I prepare a Greek yogurt and berries and macadamia nut bowl. If I'm not hungry, I pack 2 lunches of a salad with meat and cheese and a left over meal. On a no breakfast day I drink a latte with extra cream. I typically will snack on nuts around four, and then eat a protein 1 veg dinner. Lately lots of 85% chocolate. Did well around Halloween with one whopper candy only! All the candy is out of the house now, the Halloween witch came and took it away, leaving a book for each kid.

DH has joined me in my workouts to try to lean out. I'm happy with my shape. Still lots of extra fat around if I go looking for it by pinching but clothes fit nicely. the scale is stuck. I've pretty much accepted that this is it. My September whole 30 was fruitless on the weight front.

Here's what I ate yesterday.

Espresso with cream X3 (made at home, 6oz cups)
    2 fried eggs, 4 breakfast sausages, avocado slices
    Cashews for lunch
    3 squares dark chocolate
    Approx 100g salami, 2 oz Parmesan cheese
    1 chicken sausage, roast chicken ?6 oz, broccoli and bok choy stir fry with cashew sauce

I fet like it was a lot of food.

I guess to try to further lose weight I should cut the nuts and dairy, but really I don't want to. I'm over 10% weight loss, 3 dress sizes which is good. My BMI is still in the overweight category, but I'm assuming my bones are very dense. I've read in other journals about lifting really heavy things (Owly and sbhikes) and that they are leaning out a lot with this. I'm not going to join a gym so I don't think that will work. Body weight exercises have to be enough. I want to do things I can keep up for the rest of ny life. I can do 2 real pushups now!
    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I love my barbells, but you can do a lot with bodyweight training. I got quite lean and strong when I was doing TKD, a lot of that because of the strength and conditioning work that went with it. We would spend quite a bit of time doing bodyweight exercises, sprinting, and doing other conditioning stuff. I was at the point that I could do handstand pushups and squats with one of the larger male students on my back piggy-back style. It is definitely possible to get strong and lean without a gym.

Also, I know you're not worried about it, but you may find the scale moves again with an increase in LHT. You may eventually find you need to tinker with your diet as well, but that's entirely up to you. It sounds like you're feeling good and are happy with how your body is looking, and that's the most important thing in my opinion.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mommymd View Post
    Over a month since I posted. Continuing to find this way of living very easy. Mornings are less hectic because I usually don't make a complicated breakfast. If I'm hungry I prepare a Greek yogurt and berries and macadamia nut bowl. If I'm not hungry, I pack 2 lunches of a salad with meat and cheese and a left over meal. On a no breakfast day I drink a latte with extra cream. I typically will snack on nuts around four, and then eat a protein 1 veg dinner. Lately lots of 85% chocolate. Did well around Halloween with one whopper candy only! All the candy is out of the house now, the Halloween witch came and took it away, leaving a book for each kid.

DH has joined me in my workouts to try to lean out. I'm happy with my shape. Still lots of extra fat around if I go looking for it by pinching but clothes fit nicely. the scale is stuck. I've pretty much accepted that this is it. My September whole 30 was fruitless on the weight front.

Here's what I ate yesterday.

Espresso with cream X3 (made at home, 6oz cups)
    2 fried eggs, 4 breakfast sausages, avocado slices
    Cashews for lunch
    3 squares dark chocolate
    Approx 100g salami, 2 oz Parmesan cheese
    1 chicken sausage, roast chicken ?6 oz, broccoli and bok choy stir fry with cashew sauce

I fet like it was a lot of food.

I guess to try to further lose weight I should cut the nuts and dairy, but really I don't want to. I'm over 10% weight loss, 3 dress sizes which is good. My BMI is still in the overweight category, but I'm assuming my bones are very dense. I've read in other journals about lifting really heavy things (Owly and sbhikes) and that they are leaning out a lot with this. I'm not going to join a gym so I don't think that will work. Body weight exercises have to be enough. I want to do things I can keep up for the rest of ny life. I can do 2 real pushups now!
    I bought some 12, 15 and 35lb weights from Target of all places. You can hold the 35lb for squats right in your own living room. I use the 15 for triceps and side raises and the 12 for chest fly. Not super heavy weights, but I can't strain a lot right now due to uterine prolapse. Oh, joy. If you don't want to buy weights, then fill a gallon milk jug with water. No need to join a gym. Lift your kids!

I wanted to say I spit out my coffee when I read your 4yr old told you your head looked bigger than normal. I needed that laugh this morning. I miss that young age. Mine are now "talking" to me by rolling their eyes and sighing heavily (teens).

I had to cut out nuts. So easy to overeat nuts. I'm going to add greek yogurt back because I miss it so. Dark chocolate remains my big vice. So very good with cashew butter.

Congratulations to you and your husband on your progress. I am trying to get my MD husband on board, but he has a strong family history of heart disease and reluctantly started a statin. I do have him past his irrational fear of coconut milk.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

I understand how hard it is for md's to accept what we thought was true is now being shown to be false and hurting ourselves and patients.

So, I hardly ever cheat with wheat. I cant think of the last time, until last night. DH and I were out to dinner at a grown up restaurant. The special was a rack of lamb, and it was described with a mustard based crust. I did not ask if the crust included breadcrumbs, because the server told me of at least 6 ingredients it did contain, and I thought that was it. it came to the table with a suspicious looking crust, but was cooked beautifully so I scraped off as much as I could and enjoyed the meat. Today, I'm bloated. That was the only suspicious thing I had, the rest if the meal was a salad with smoked quail and the veggies were asparagus and fennel and carrots. Red wine.

Guess I'm one of the 6% of the population with wheat intolerance.

Tonight we are having eggplant involtini with Caesar salad. Yumm
    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Copied from the wise SBHikes

Try this instead:

Breakfast
    4oz meat (beef, ground beef, liver, salmon, eggs, chicken)
    As much vegetables as you want

Lunch

Dinner
    A small sweet potato
    butter if you need it

You can thank me later.

Doing this. (plus one serving creamy coffee drink)
    Last edited by mommymd; 11-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Stuck pretty close to the plan except for dinner. My husband made a whole duck, so I had considerably more than 4 oz, and I also had some cheese mixed in with cauliflower. The rest of the day was as above.
    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Day 2 of meat and veg and minimal dairy. Came home very hungry from work. Had 1 egg and 2 paleo sweet potato cheese prosciutto scones for breakfast (1/3 c sweet potato). Americano with whipping cream. 4oz pulled beef kale and avocado oil plus one hard boiled egg for lunch. Stopped for 5 brazil nuts on the way home. At home ate approx 90 g pâté and two bites of steak. Probably low on fluids too. Going out to dinner at Le marche a cafeteria style restaurant. I know I can get an omelette there and a side salad.

Forgot to mention the duck bone broth I had for breakfast too
    Last edited by mommymd; 11-23-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

I went to New York earlier in the month to celebrate my birthday. I was able to remain grain free, but ate more sugar and drank more wine than usual. When I got back I went through another carb withdrawal, based on a 2 day headache. Broke the headache by eating butter, both in coffee and on its own. After New York was up 2 lbs, but have gotten back down to my plateau, or what I've come to accept is final weight since I've been here since April. It was picture day today. I look a little thicker around the middle, which I guess is due to my indulgences in NY.

Tonight we went out for sushi after karate. Usually I just have sashimi, squid and short ribs, but tonight I had 3 mini rolls with rice too.

I made this yummy fritter for lunch today: riced cauliflower, boursin cheese, egg whites, pepper and arrowroot powder. Mix to make thick batter. Shallow fried in tbsp drops in hot duck fat (rendered from duck by DH) and fried to golden. Sea salt sprinkled on top while draining on a paper towel. I had never used arrowroot powder before. It browned nicely. I had egg whites because I made Primal Eggnog from this site using coconut milk. It's good, not great. I doubled the maple syrup. I think it could be more eggy. My son who loves eggnog said it was okay, but I had to make it sweeter for him to finish his glass.

Hyperlipid has some great posts countering Guyanet's hypotheses right now. I've been trying to follow everything he says, but a lot of it is beyond me. I recently read the blog of Dr. Rosedale (of the Rosedale diet) He advocates LCHF.

TheNNT.com has a good summary for those interested in Statins of the number needed to treat and harm.
    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast