Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Mommymd's LCHF journal page 6

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    Long time no post.

Vacation and summer has been flying by. First vacation of 2 weeks out west and ate fairly clean. Probably too many nuts, and bad oils with eating out, but no grains and a small amount of exercise. Stayed within my band of plateau wrt weight. Was back home last week and cut out dairy for a week or so, including 3 nights of camping. Made a delicious fish in a foil packet with Thai green curry and coconut. Broke my no dairy fast with a feta shrimp and dill packet on the BBQ tonight. I posted the recipe in the recipe section. Also have been making some nom nom paleo recipes. Bought the iPad app last week. Today made the tuna muffins. They are made with sweet potato, green onions, cilantro and it's supposed to be jalapeño. Didn't have jalapeño, so I substituted dill and basil. They are great with a soft boiled egg. The addition of dill made it like cha ca Lavong , which is a fish dish from Hanoi.

Dill is my flavour of the summer. I put it in everything. Salad is much brighter with a little fresh dill.

Today I went on our new stand up paddle board. I felt like Mark Sisson. Ha, I imagined I was him at least. It was fun, quite stable, but I do have to learn the paddle stokes a little better, never really got up to any kind of speed. I'll get back on it again tomorrow.

Mommymd

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Mommymd,
    Nice to see well informed medical professionals doing the PB. And your pics are amazing. It really shows, not just around the midsection but also in your face and around your arms.

It looks like you are hitting about the same macros as I am. I'm trying to stay in ketosis as I am experimenting with reducing my dependence on medication to control my epilepsy. So far so good. I'm down 25% on one of my two meds and feeling great.

I love that slow cooker quiche recipe. Must try that soon. Thank you.

Hi Paleobird, thanks for the compliments. You , of course, are legend I wish you ongoing success at reducing and eliminating your meds if possible. The quiche is amazing. let me know how it works out for you.

Yesterday was a play day. Went miniature golfing with the extended family who are here at the cottage, then came back for another tour on the SUP. the paddling went much better after watching a few YouTube videos. Bought a new bathing suit yesterday, shopping for it wasn't horrid.

Food ( at the cottage)

Tea with butter 8 am
    Full fat latte 12:30pm
    Lunch at a park at 2pm : 2 tuna muffins from nom nom paleo recipe, 2 pieces of salami wrapped in romaine lettuce, blueberries, raspberries
    Snack 4:30 pm 1rollmop, handful of macadamia nuts, a few cherries
    Dinner 7:30 3 chicken drumsticks (recipe from nom nom paleo) cauliflower and broccoli with butter, whipped cream and blueberries for dessert. White wine. 2 squares dark chocolate. Should have stopped at 1square.
    Snack 11:30 (while playing identity crisis) small amount of mixed nuts an a sip of ouzo like booze from turkey.

Overall just shifted my eating hours. Fun day

Mommymd

Back into the swing of things at home. My day off today, worked out with my trainer, and going with the family to the CNE (fair).

Yesterday had a family 90th birthday party. Not a blood relative so can't count on her longevity genes.

Yesterday "fasted" with broth and coconut oil for breakfast, black coffee at 10 am and leftover brussel sprouts, red peppers and half a sausage for 12 pm meal. 2 pm handful of macadamia nuts and strawberries and blackberries, followed by a salad with a whole avocado with macadamia nut oil and balsamic vinegar. Very hungry at home, but instead of snacking before the party had 2 big glasses of water. At the party had bbq chicken breast and leg (lots) bbq veggies and cured salmon. There was a huge dessert platter, my sis inlaw brought raw vegan brownies made with cocoa, almonds and dates. They fulfilled my "need" for a sweet from the table.

Last night my husband made Hungarian chopped liver, a recipe he found on the internet. It's chicken liver with hardboiled eggs and onions. pretty good. also had some of that last night.

Today I woke to the smell of bacon. Bacon, eggs, sweet potato latke and 4 berries for breakfast before my big workout. Now I'm post workout and having berries and chopped liver. We adults are going to have a salad before we go to the fair today, because there won't be very much primal food there. Also going to bring some salami for snacking.

I'm doing a version of the whole 30. I've never seen the official program, but gather from various threads the gist is strict paleo for 30 days. I have chosen to eliminate dairy and any non cellular carbohydrate. This experiment started on Monday, the 27, and will end on Sept 23 because that's my anniversary and I'm not going to miss out on a big meal and dairy on that day.

Weight is stable. Down almost 20 lbs overall, 3 lbs above my nadir. My arms and legs are really starting to look muscular. My waist looks very small. Still in the overweight BMI category.

mommymd

Did quite well at the fair, considering the temptations. I brought a hard boiled egg and some salami with me, and for dinner had chicken wings ( with sauce, fried in canola oil so there goes my whole 30). The kids shared a deep fried mars bar, each had a corn dog, and one had a slushie, the other soft serve. The only thing I really wanted, but didn't have, was a caramel apple. Ds2 remembered that we shared one last year.

Splitting headache.

Mommymd

Slept more than 8 hrs last night. That's unlikely to happen again for a while due to work.

Yoga tonight.

3 eggs cooked in butter, with wilted arugula and balsamic.
    chopped liver and hardboiled eggs
    salad with avocado oil and balsamic with smoked salmon
    macadamia nuts
    piece of italian salami (hard kind super spicy)
    dinner was grass fed braised beef ribs with a prune wine tomato sauce, made by my husband, served over riced cauliflower. a few slices of red peppers and some tomatoes from the garden. That dinner was so filling! The meat was actually made 2 days ago and sat in the fridge, reheated today. There was a thick layer of fat on it, but we kept all of it.

I've been reading more of hyperlipid lately and another biochemical blog Lucas somebody. Extremely cool all this molecular biology. That was what I did 2 years of an undergrad in before going to med school. One of my friends on facebook has been posting about trying liver and brussel sprouts, I think I'm getting to her. She is very thin, so must be doing this for health.

I looked great today. (I really am much humbler than this) I wore my 50's inspired black with white polka dot wiggle dress and my fancy pearls. So many compliments.

mommymd

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a super cute dress!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Hi, Owly. I do love the dress. I'll post a pic sometime.

I'm continuing my dairy free and sugar free month. Today I oscillated between feeling full and feeling very hungry.

Brith with coconut oil and butter for breakfast. Macadamia nuts for snack. Coffee with butter at work
    Lunch was chopped liver and an avocado.

I tracked on spark people up to this point and had consummed 970ish calories, 65 g fat, 20 g carbs and 35 protein. I was very hungry by 3 pm so bought a tin of sardines and had some almonds

Dinner was ossobucco made by my husband. Also an arugula and tomato salad with avocado oil and balsamic vinegar. And broccoli with lots of butter.

Packet of men's vitamins-- not sure if there is something in there I shouldn't be having, but we have tons of them around the house.

Even after diner, withi the span of an hour I was feeling super full and then hungry, back and forth.

Got a delivery from brooker's meats today. Almost $600 of grass fed beef, pastured pork, free range chicken and eggs. Cleaned out the freezers. Had frozen leftovers from years ago. Both my husband and I were sure we had a pork belly in the deep freeze, but it is not there. Totally bizarre.

On call tomorrow night. Bacon for breakfast. Then will have to get some exercise before napping for my shift which starts at 4 pm and goes to 8 am.

Mommymd

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Ossobucco envy. I need to stop by my favourite lamb producer's booth at the market--he does special cuts for it and his lamb is amazing.

Meh. Pretty sure there's nothing in "men's" vitamins that will make you grow a beard or anything. It's just slightly different proportions of stuff and mostly a marketing thing anyhow.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I miss cheese. I have been doing a "whole 30" and eliminated all dairy except butter. BAS just doesn't taste the same without it. I have noticed some shape changes (until TOM and 3.8 lbs weight gain--gah) so it's doing something, but it's not something I will be able to keep up.

mommymd

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast