Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mommymd's LCHF journal page 5

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, mommymd,

Your story is a lot like mine. I'm an RD, bucking the conventional wisdom with a LCHF diet and feeling great. I also have 2 boys. Not too much to lose, good response to the Primal diet. And I'm an Ontarian, up on the Bruce Peninsula. And married to a German - I get the herring salad thing!

I wish I'd found this WOE at 40, but it's still very effective at almost 52. Menopause has definitely made it harder to lose weight, but I'm dealing with it, and I'm winning - it's not going to turn me into a fat, osteoporotic lump!

Your success pics look great!

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    Hi marthat,

You have it tough, RD! How have you managed to incorporate all that you are learning regarding this way of eating and advising the people who seek your advice?

mommymd

Big body composition change

I had a viral illness last week, went for a few days with minimal desire to eat anything. Came out the other side 4 lbs down, and way smaller. Indeed, had to buy new clothes today as none of my summer dresses fit anymore. Lost some strength which was obvious on my workout day yesterday.

Got a cute haircut today.

Working overnight tonight, likely to be up all night long.

Yummy dinner at work tonight, last week made some BBQ chicken, cut up and froze, brought frozen, nuked. Then dipped it in half an avocado mixed with salsa and sour cream. Mexicany goodness.

Gotta go search out a drink. This hospital is so dehydrating!

Mommymd

So sore from my workout yesterday. Did a curtsie/kick combo and now cannot bring my leg across my body!

Slight increase in weight, all clothes fit still.

Just had a delicious salad of greens, avocado, egg, tomatoes, bacon, cucumber, green onion, avocado oil and basal mic, followed by one square of dark chocolate.

DH went for an ultrasound today, last year he had fatty liver. Now he's been primal for 7 months, and lost 18 lbs, I expect it to be gone.

Mommymd

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Hi, mommymd, I hadn't realized you'd answered my post. Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it's rather hard to be an RD and yet refuse to toe the line in some ways. My professional association has corporate support from the Dairy Board, Sugar producers, as well as meat marketing boards. I get regular mailings about new "functional food" products all the time. Most of them get tossed straight into recycling.

I work in long term care, so we are very regulated by Ministry guidelines. But I do what I can, encouraging additional good fats, discouraging the whole lowfat stuff, adding flaxmeal to their diets, supporting families who want to supplement their residents with coconut oil or other nutritional products. But outside of work, I tell those who ask about this way of eating, how it has worked for me. But I don't preach. Not worth losing friends over, or family members.

Plateau continues. Trying a dairy elimination for a few days to see if that helps.

Yesterday post call had a sausage for breakfast before my nap. Then went out for while, did errands and came back for a mid afternoon snack of celery and pate. dinner was a big salad with 12 oz ground beef/onions fry up. Went for a walk, originally to but some chocolate, but just came home and went to bed.

Today I did a kettle bell workout in the back yard and am planning on going to yoga.

So far had 3eggs cooked in bacon fat, with sautéed kale and basaltic vinegar.

Hot here, planning on making a banana coconut ice post yoga.

Sittin in the sun for some vitamin d.

Planning on taking a flank steak out for the BBQ tonight. Kids and dh are camping this weekend. Rest and relaxation for me.

Mommymd

Leaving dairy out did seem to make a difference. Guess I'll do that again when I don't seem to be getting anywhere. All in all doing well this summer. Made it through my trainer's vacation 2 lbs lighter. My own vacation is coming up. It's good my husband is on board, makes the cheats fewer, and the primal indulgences more frequent.

My yoga instructor is back from a prolonged overseas experience. She hasn't seen me since the end of January, except for Facebook pics. She should be surprised at my shape, and maybe even my flexibility.

Just posted in success pics because it's 9 months of eating primal for me. If you are reading this cause you saw me there, let me know.

Today's food:
    10% Greek yogurt with coconut bitter and macadamia nuts with 6 cherries
    Big ass salad with steak, eggs, and brie, avocado oil basalmic dressing
    Half a chicken patty for snack
    Tea with 10% cream
    Lamb sausage, hard boiled egg, cheddar cheese, cashews for dinner

I'm at work tonight. Need a drink, it's so dry in here.

Mommymd

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Oh, those pictures tell a wonderful story! I went back and forth, back and forth looking at them! YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

The Globe and Mail had an article today written by their dietician all about food journals. I added the following to the comments section:

A food diary worked for me when I wanted to lose weight-32 lbs. After losing the weight I stopped, and guess what, the weight came back. Then I heard about the Paleo/Primal/LCHF diet. For the last 9 months I have been eating this way. I have lost 22 lbs, but more interestingly am currently slimmer than when I was when I was at my nadir with the food diary-4 lbs less than my current weight.

For fun I tracked yesterday's food, I did not pre measure so the quantities are retrospective estimates, but I've measured before so know my sizes (I think):

Got up at 6 am
    1 cup 2% milk, divided over the morning into 2 cups of cafe au lait
    Breakfast at 12 pm 4 tbsp 10% greek yogurt, 0.5 cup coconut milk, 6 blueberries, 6 raspberries, 1 oz macadamia nut (497 calories to this point)
    Lunch at 3 pm 7 oz medium ground beef, 1 oz mushrooms, 1 oz onions, 3 tbsp sour cream, 3 tbsp salsa (lunch total calories 723)
    Dinner at 6:30 pm 3 large scallops cooked in olive oil, 2.5 oz salmon, 6 spears asparagus with salted butter, broccoli and onion stir fry with cashew nut sauce (coconut oil, soya sauce, sherry, cashew butter, garlic chili paste) 1 ripe tomato from the garden (dinner total calories 447)
    drinks throughout the day-green tea, iced black tea unsweet, and water.

Total calories 1667, Carbs 49, Fat 131, Protein 81

By eating only meat, fish, eggs, full fat dairy, veggies that grow above the ground, minimal nuts I aim to keep my carbs under 50. You'll see that I just squeaked by yesterday, though some of the counted carbs come from the fermented dairy products and are actually less due to conversion by the bacteria. The fat keeps me satiated. As long as I don't eat grains or tubers I don't have to measure, I don't have to count. There are actual randomized controlled trials of this diet vs lowfat/counting diets. People lose more weight this way. This is the way I will eat for the rest of my life.

mommymd

My post in the comments section of the globe and mail was deleted by the moderators. Maybe someone saw it and started their own investigations into this way of life before CWbots took it down!

Mommymd

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast