Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mommymd's LCHF journal page 3

ferrygirl is offline Junior Member
    Hi! Sounds like things are going well for you! I'm very curious...how do you make the slow cooker crustless quiche? Sounds delicious.
    Female, 5'7"

Primal SW: 74.4 kg
    CW: 73.4 (3/12/12)
    GW: 61 kg
    BF: 35%

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    Slow cooker crustless quiche? My husband made it actually. I will find the recipe and post soon. It comes from a book that adapts french cuisine for the slow cooker, and then we further adapt it for LCHF.

I had a great weekend and start to the week. Went skating with the family yesterday and then played "baseball" outside with the kidlets. Today I worked out with my trainer. I weighed my lowest yet today. Yay. 16 lbs lost, and 9 more pounds and I'm out of the overweight category. My upper back is getting nicely toned according to my trainer.

Went for my bloodtests today. I tried to add a VAP and betahydroxybuterate to the labs, but the local lab can't test for them. I did sneak in creatinine and b12.

Yesterday because of call my eating schedule was weird. Breakfast was after my 1st nap at 12 o'clock and it was 2 eggs cooked in butter with melted cheese and sauteed spinach. Dinner was at 6:30, BBQ feast:4 chicken wings with skin, steak, 1/2 lobster tail, miami rib, asparagus and a small amount of mixed greens. I fell asleep with the kids at their bedtime for my 2nd nap, then got up and read a novel for a while, but found my eyes were jumping all over the place (from being tired), so I basically meditated till bedtime.

Supplemented with fish oil, vit D, and mg.

Today for the bloodwork I fasted, then came home and had 10% greek yogurt with coconut butter, coconut shavings, blackberries, strawberries and cinnamon. Worked out, then had a big salad for lunch with left over steak, feta, avocado and other veggies. Tonight I'm planning a lamb/eggplant dish, if I get to the grocery store in time.

I tested myself for ketones after lunch and to my surprise it was negative. ?too much dairy, fruit and protein? I was thinking of a starbuck's today, but I guess I will save it for later in the week.

mommymd

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Hey mommymd,

Really nice journal. Great success! Keep going!

Hi kcarol, thanks for checking in.

Here is the quiche recipe, ferrygirl:

Unsalted butter
    4 ounces chopped ham (I would have liked more in mine and would double it next time)
    8 large eggs
    pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    freshly ground pepper
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 cups grated Gruyere, Comte or Emmental cheese

Generously butter the insert of a large low cooker. Scatter the ham in the slow cooker.
    In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the nutmeg and pepper until frothy. Beat in the milk and cream. Pour the egg mixture into the slow cooker. Scatter the cheese on top, avoiding the sides of the cooker.
    Cover and cook on high for 2 hours and 15 minutes, or until the quiche is lightly puffed and a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.
    Run a knife around the edge of the quiche. Cut into wedges and serve hot.

The original recipe called for 2 TBSP flour to be added at the same time as the nutmeg.

It's a good cookbook: The French Slow Cooker by Michele Scicolone

Let me know if you make it. Obviously it would also be good with bacon

mommymd

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Hey mommymd. I'm enjoying your journal. I suppose I could be mommyrn, but my boys are now both bigger than me by far (oh, the joys of teenaged boys), so haven't been called "mommy" for quite some time . I'm assuming you're in anesthesia? It seems like you're making your call schedule work pretty decently with primal. Nice work!

Hi Greensprout! Join date March 2010! Happy Anniversary! I'll have to check out your journal to see how to do it longterm!

Yep Anesthesia. Today I was stuck in the OR over "lunch hour" and was very hungry. I managed to get a handful of almonds in and that held me off until 2:30 when I could eat the left over moussaka concoction that I made for dinner last night (ground lamb, tomatoes, eggplant, onions, cinnamon, allspice, oregano with a pureed cauliflower/ sour cream and feta topping)

Today's breakfast was 2 eggs with cream and almond meal, made into 2 "crepes" with smoked salmon and goat cheese. Lunch was as above. Dinner was a left over chicken wing, BBQ asparagus, BBQ salmon, small salad with macadamia oil and basalmic. water to drink, 2 pieces 85% chocolate--forgot about our other appetizer, scallops wrapped in proscuitto on rosemary skewers with lemon on the barbie

Went for another massage. Hedonistic, I know, but I got off work early, and DH was preparing dinner, the boys were with our nanny, so what's a girl to do? Also did a yoga class tonight. I'm extra sore from my workout yesterday. I can't really identify a new move that has my hamstrings yelling today, but none the less, they are. On occasion I've been surprised how good my legs look!

Tomorrow is my regular day off work. Working out in the morning with my trainer. Then because it's March break we are going on a family outing to see a Japanese animated kids film and dinner.

Still haven't had my starbuck's this week. Maybe I should just go a week without...

mommymd

I regret that I went for my bloods. My doctor's nurse called and said I had to change what I'm eating, increase my exercise, and go see a dietician. My total cholesterol was 6.5, HDL 1.42, TG 0.62, LDL 4.5. She, of course, is worried about the high total, high LDL, and unfavourable total/HDL ratio. She made no mention of the outstanding TG/HDL ratio. I've spent the last few days rereading all the info on cholesterol, saturated fats, tests, results, etc, and am feeling a little better about it. I thought that my HDL would come back a bit higher, and I didn't expect the LDL to be as high as it is. I read into the "Iranian" formula, but see that it hasn't been further validated anywhere in the literature, and there is no mention of it in any textbook on lipids. There doesn't seem to be an easy way of having my LDL profile read. I will have to go over the summaries of the research again. I also ordered "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" for myself. I don't intend to change the way that I eat, I hope it doesn't affect the way my own MD treats me for non nutrition related concerns. I have an MD behind my name and I find it hard to present all of this to my doctor.

Food has been great. I sprinted Friday morning and fasted until noon. Broke my fast with a small salad, salami and a whole avocado. Came home afterwork and snacked on cheese, salami then had a big salad, mashed boursin cauliflower and ribs for dinner.

Today had 2 eggs with sourcream and salad for breakfast, 1 piece of keilbasa, cheese and veggies for lunch, spiced pecans for snack and then dinner was ribs, cauliflower and salad with a glass of wine. After dinner I had a weird feeling in my parotids, maybe something to do with the wine?

We went to our friends for dinner today. S is also eating paleo and has lost 12 lbs. She looks great.

I did go a week without Starbuck's.

mommymd

LDL phenotype A or B vs tg HDL ratio.gif

I am trying to upload a graph from a study that looked at the triglyceride/HDL ratio and LDL particle size of participants. It shows that people with low ratios have pattern A, and high ratios have pattern B. My ratio is 0.44, so based on this study, I have pattern A. Yippee!

The study:
    Accuracy of the triglyceride to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio for prediction of the low-density lipoprotein phenotype B

Viktor Hanak, MDa, Corresponding author contact information, E-mail the corresponding author,
    Julian Munoz, MD, MSPHa,
    Joe Teague, MDa,
    Alfred Stanley Jr., MDb,
    Vera Bittner, MD, MSPHc

a Department of Medicine, Carraway Methodist Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
    b Kemp-Carraway Heart Institute, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
    c Division of Cardiovascular Disease, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Received 9 December 2003. Revised 23 March 2004. Accepted 23 March 2004. Available online 9 July 2004.

Published in The American Journal of Cardiology
    Last edited by mommymd; 03-17-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Great day! Weighed in at another 1.6 lb loss, for a total of 17 lbs.

Worked out with a new HIIT:
    cardio warm up
    3 move set, 30 seconds each, 5 second rest between moves, 2 minute rest before repeating X2: plyo pushups, squat/jump, sumo kickback to plank
    3 move set, 30 seconds each, 5 second rest between moves, 2 minute rest before repeating X2: spiderman pushups, mountain climber, low arm plank/saw
    3 move set, 40 seconds each, 5 second rest between moves, 2 minute rest before repeating X1: kettle ball swing squats, football shuffle/sprint, resistance band row
    Stretched with a foam roller

Food:
    Breakfast 1 fried egg and 2 sausages, sauteed spinach and shallots (smaller than usual because of planned work out)
    Lunch (at a buffet party) 1 glass of pear wine, diluted with fizzy water, cured salmon, deviled eggs, bbq chicken, 3 figs with goatcheese and walnuts, bite of sweetpotato brownie, brie cheese,
    Dinner butter chicken, eggplant and broccoli. The sauce for the butter chicken came from a jar, included canola oil and modified corn starch. Seared organic chicken breasts, bone in skin on, in coconut oil, added jar, chicken broth and chopped eggplant, low simmer for 2 hours. It was delicious. The eggplant absorbed so much of the flavour of the sauce.

I looked good today. At the party, I definitely turned heads in my little black dress. See the success stories picture page for my 5 month primal pics, pg 396.

mommymd

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Enjoying your journal and hearing about your successes!All the best in your journey

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast