Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not quite buying _al_l of this saturated fat business. page

ib4student is offline Member

Not quite buying _all_ of this saturated fat business.

Primal Fuel
    small chain, medium chain, and stearic acid seem to be good but what about other long chain acids?

edit: that should be _all_, not _al_l
    Last edited by ib4student; 02-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.

what does the book say?

The book talks about saturated fats in general, not really specific ones. I agree that the ones that i listed are great but the others don't look so good

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Be more specific.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    The entire basis of the argument against fat is that it has more calories per gram than carbs or protein. Therefore it causes obesity, which leads to heart disease. That's what the CW believes.

Since all of us are eating fat and losing weight, it seems like something else might be at play here.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    The entire basis of the argument against fat is that it has more calories per gram than carbs or protein. Therefore it causes obesity, which leads to heart disease. That's what the CW believes.

Since all of us are eating fat and losing weight, it seems like something else might be at play here.
    Uh, no, the argument is that it causes a lot of problems down the road, even if you are losing weight. Losing weight =/= healthy. I have not lost any weight, btw. That's not what this is about.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Be more specific.
    Long chain fatty acids. Are they good for us? They seem neutral or bad, if anything. Long-chain saturated fatty acids consumption and ri... [Ann Surg. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI etc.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ib4student View Post

Long chain fatty acids. Are they good for us? They seem neutral or bad, if anything. Long-chain saturated fatty acids consumption and ri... [Ann Surg. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI etc.
    And the result they MAY enhance (not even increase) the chance of gallstones. I would love to know what the rest of their diet was but I would bet a lot of "healthy" whole grains.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ib4student View Post
    Uh, no, the argument is that it causes a lot of problems down the road, even if you are losing weight. Losing weight =/= healthy. I have not lost any weight, btw. That's not what this is about.

What problems are those and what is the evidence? Heart disease? Nope. Stroke? Nope. Sat fat consumption not a predictor.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    What problems are those and what is the evidence? Heart disease? Nope. Stroke? Nope. Sat fat consumption not a predictor.
    Stop saying saturated fat. That's such a broad term.

I'm asking what the benefits of long chain saturated fats are.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There are a lot of good sources of fat Olive Oil comes to mind. A Better question than what are the benefits of sat fat but what are the disadvantages when the alternative fats are from franken-oils which we KNOW are bad.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast