Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your coconut oil in? page

back2basix is offline Member

How do you get your coconut oil in?

I've started using it exclusively to fry in...eggs, saute veggies, occasionally sweet potatoe fries if we are craving that. But it looks like some use it straight off the spoon? Seriously? I realize it is a little sweet but wouldn't it be like eating shortening--texture wise?? I also think I read in a smoothie. That would work too. Any other ideas? How much do you take in daily?

TIA!!

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    I drink mine in green tea three times a day, about a tablespoon at a time. Sometimes I will have a coconut milk and blueberry smoothie.
    Last edited by kkarrolle; 02-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

patski is offline Senior Member
    I cannot eat coconut oil off a spoon. The texture grosses me out going down. I usually get nauseated afterwards as well. Can't figure that one out.

However, I fry bacon in it, add it to smoothies. Anything I would use olive oil for when it comes to high heat frying, I use coconut oil instead.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I also fry with it. Usually half and half with tallow.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    I don't know but it may be the brand. Because many years ago I tried the one in the black jar at the grocery and it just turned me off. But this organic raw coconut oil I use now is Yum Yum! I will take a spoonful and the taste is clean to me. Looking forward to using it in something other than the fry pan or straight - in a smoothy I suppose.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    In my bulletproof coffee, stirred into tea, in smoothies, in the pan when cooking just about anything, and yes, right off the spoon. I also rub it all over my skin after a shower, and leave it in my hair overnight for a moisture mask. I especially love it to keep my tattoos bright. Virgin coconut oil is absolutely the greatest substance known to man. And now they sell it for like 5 bucks at Trader Joe's!

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I bring it work to stir into my coffee instead of having bfast. Also, in BulletProof Coffee, to saute veggies, fry bananas, sear meats...
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I actually only use it for frying sweet potatoes - I find the smell / taste to be a bit odd for other cooking (I prefer the flavors of lard or butter), no need / desire to eat spoonfuls of fat, and I'm bald and my skin has plenty of natural moisture. You don't really need to use it to join the primal club.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I have a coconut milk smoothie with berries almost every day. I cook most of my foods in coconut oil or ghee. And sometimes I just take a tablespoon of coconut oil straight to the dome.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I drink it in coffee and tea, I use it as a cooking oil for most everything (except sauteing mushrooms), I make cocoa crack with it, I use it on chapped skin, etc.

I also oil pull with it, which is me taking a big ol' tablespoon, putting it in my mouth, and swishing it around for 15-20 minutes before spitting it out. And since my room temp is generally just below 70F, my CO is fairly solid to start with, takes a minute to melt in my mouth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast