Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rest Days page

driftwood is offline Senior Member

Rest Days

Primal Fuel
    I typically do strength training every other day. So usually one rest day. Some times I take a couple days off if I feel tired or am still sore. So my question is:

If I am still sore the next day, is it better to wait till am not sore then return again or is it beneficial to work out when you are still sore.

For ex: I did strength training yesterday, very light cardio today. Upper body still feels sore (in a good way.) Am now not sure if it's better to work out tomorow or take an extra day.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    if you're still sore, you're training to soon. you haven't repaired the muscle.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    You will find plenty of evidence to support both ideologies. So much so, that it will make your head spin. For example, the "Bulgarian Method" of weight training says no rest. I believe the Westside Barbell Club also subscribes to no rest days. Other popular programs like Starting Strength and Wendler 5/3/1 all prescribe plenty of rest.
    Last edited by deepglades; 02-02-2012 at 06:03 AM.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    this really depends on how sore you are. if your muscles are tender to a light touch, maybe take an extra day. but, if you can pretty much function regularly (read: get up to pee without wincing), then just eat some food, take some supplements (magnesium), have a good, active warm up and get back to it.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    if you're still sore, you're training to soon. you haven't repaired the muscle.
    Not necessarily at all. Soreness doesn't really tell you too much. I've hit many a PR on days when my body was saying it was too tired, I should take another rest day. OP, just go with a good program and follow it as closely as you can. Eventually you'll learn how your own body responds to training specifically. But most people can go harder than at first they think they can.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Blah is offline Senior Member
    My hamstrings have been killing me for days, I tried active recovery by slow short runs for two days and that did nothing (would rathered a bike or eliptical but you use what you've got) went out today and just got on with my workout and the light deadlifts sent all the pain away.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Soreness is not a good indicator of either the effectiveness of a workout or your ability to recover from a workout. Like most things, try a few different approaches and see what works for you.

driftwood is offline Senior Member
    Ok thanks folks... I will just stick to it.. though I did miss today. ba.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't be exercising a muscle group more than once a week. A week should be plenty of recovery for muscle soreness. It sounds like you're overtraining your muscles.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You shouldn't be exercising a muscle group more than once a week. A week should be plenty of recovery for muscle soreness. It sounds like you're overtraining your muscles.
    Lots of experts disagree with you, including Marks PB fitness, crossfit, SS, etc.There is a sweet spot for training frequency that will depend on the individual, type of training (even what particular lift), training advancement, and situational factors. If I only chinned once a week I'd make no progress, yet deadlifting once a week is plenty.
    And is thinking of your body in terms of "muscle groups" really the best training approach?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast