Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So that's what sprinting feels like... page

heatseeker is offline Senior Member

So that's what sprinting feels like...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I THOUGHT I'd been sprinting all this time... I was wrong. Prior to today, my sprinting sessions involved tabata intervals of some kind, on a rower, with a kettlebell, doing bodyweight moves, what have you. Today, out of curiosity, I went outside and did traditional sprints back and forth in front of my house. Totally different feeling! Running flat out at max capacity, with no equipment, no timer, just my body pushing itself to its limit, was incredible. And not easy. I was pretty wasted by the end of 10 10sec sprints, with 90sec rest in between. My legs and arms were shaky all afternoon.

Anyone want to share their favorite post-sprinting-session meal? I had mini-burgers with hot sauce and pickles, and coconut-lime steamed kale on the side.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    yeah, while some exercises are worth the time, sprinting is clearly superior, try it on an incline next time, not only is it safer (less chance of face planting) it's more physically demanding so in my opinion it's better all around. It also makes you lightning fast when sprinting on flat ground. It's basically the same thing as doing weighted movements, then doing those without weights.

Though I don't sprint as much as I should, I believe it's a great fat loss tool when not over-done, the 1x/week Mark recommends is just right.

As far as post workout, I can't eat immediately after, I like to wait at the very least an hour, but since I do it in the mornings I actually end up waiting maybe 3-4 hours and just eat lunch as per usual. It's probably a good time to have a high carb/low fat meal though. Edit: Forgot to mention that you SHOULD wait at least an hour to allow the HGH to do it's thing, that is: burn fat and promote muscle growth and then eat. Eating right away causes insulin release and all the HGH goes away. If you're using sprinting as a fat loss tool primarily, you want to wait at least an hour before eating anything.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 02-01-2012 at 03:32 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yes! I remember someone on here said that running in place really fast worked just as well. I thought there was no way they'd ever tried proper sprinting.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    very nice....I used kettlebells and did tabata and stuff with them and thought those were sprints....then I put on some cleats and did some real sprints like what you did.

Sitting on the john, walking, picking up a pen off the floor, putting on socks all sucked the next day!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You have now flown. Never forget the power of your wings and the rapture of wind on your face.

Yes, it should leave you panting like a pathetic puppy and unable to operate the clutch in your car without strong mental focus to stop the shaking foot.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You have now flown. Never forget the power of your wings and the rapture of wind on your face.

Yes, it should leave you panting like a pathetic puppy and unable to operate the clutch in your car without strong mental focus to stop the shaking foot.
    tear

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Love it. And yes, that is exactly how I felt.

I can already feel the protestations of my hamstrings. Don't worry, hammies, I'm doing this because I love you.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Because I wear VFF's, I don't like sprinting ON the track. So I sprint off of it. The imperfections around the track make me feel like I'm actually escaping something, like in PB. But I still go at a pace I think I can sustain. I like picking my next foothold in a split second.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    yes. sprinting kicks ass. my favorite is barefoot on a soccer field; actually, that's my favorite workout. i'm not particularly fond of wanting to vomit after my last couple of runs, but i feel amazing afterward. like iniquity said, try some hill sprints if you can. it's a whole other experience that can make you want to cry. i actually like when i find a park where i can mix in hill sprints and flat sprints, all barefoot if possible. Mark's fitness ebook also has some great sprint variations you can try out.

post workout meal: i don't really eat right after sprinting. i usually just sit and notice how my body feels for a while, walk/jog or drive home, play with the dog for a bit, then just get cooking a regular primal meal (my first of the day).

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I sprint almost everyday. LOVE IT.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast