Thread: Longtime lurker, new to forum page

Tilly is offline Junior Member

Longtime lurker, new to forum

Hello everyone! I have been coming to MDA for about a year now, and have been following a primal way of eating (more or less) for about 9 months.

A little bit about me: I'm 48, female, overweight but have no serious health problems. My biggest problem is that I'm largely sedentary, and am looking for some motivation to get moving!!! In addition to not exercising, I'm also struggling with limiting fruit (esp. pomegranates, in season) and alcohol (usually red wine). Since I'm trying to lose weight, I know that I need to address all three of these issues.

The good news is that I've dropped a couple of sizes, and have a lot more energy than I used to. This may not seem like a lot since I've been doing this for 9 months, but considering that I'm not exercising and not being strict about what I need to do to accelerate fat loss, I feel pretty good.

But now I need to jumpstart my routine. So I decided that instead of just lurking here at MDA, I'd throw myself into the thick of things, starting with the Forum.

To all existing members from whom I've leaned so much, thank you! I hope it won't be long before I can start contributing something of value myself.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Walk, walk, walk.

Walking is great! I just have to get off my butt and do it! *hangs head in shame.*

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    It's a habit that for me is something I enjoy now and hate missing out on. I walk at least 3-5 miles per day, and sometimes more. It makes losing and maintaining weight much easier. Also, it's a good way to unwind, listen to music and just enjoy being outside. Even when it's cold, I at least hop on the treadmill and walk. I get to catch up on the news or whatever else is on at the gym.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Walking is a good start.

Thanks, John. It's funny: I used to walk a lot and I really enjoyed it. So intellectually, I should WANT to do it - it was an experience that was fun. But it's sometimes hard to take that first step. I'm not sure why.

mrshinyhead is offline Junior Member
    Co-opt a friend or family member to go primal with you or at least to do the walks. My wife and I had made it a habit to walk 3 miles each evening. I was a great chance to connect with each other. With both of us working and a house full of 3 teenagers, we need it more than ever now, but my job is requiring me to work nights, while she works days. REEEEEEEAALY miss those walks...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mrshinyhead View Post
    Co-opt a friend or family member to go primal with you or at least to do the walks. My wife and I had made it a habit to walk 3 miles each evening. I was a great chance to connect with each other. With both of us working and a house full of 3 teenagers, we need it more than ever now, but my job is requiring me to work nights, while she works days. REEEEEEEAALY miss those walks...
    That's a great idea. The Spouse is basically primal, at least when he's at home because I do all the cooking, but he's never been a fan of walking. He doesn't see the point. :-) We recently moved to a more rural location, right along a river, so perhaps I can talk him into giving it another try!