Thread: Bok Choi page

Griffin is offline Senior Member

Question Bok Choi

Ever since going Primal I've been tempted to try Bok Choi. I've had it in SAD chinese "food" before but I've never prepared it at home.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Bok Choi is yummy! My favorite way of eating it is Thai inspired, I believe. We put a piece of salmon in a parchment packet over chopped bok choi, caramelized onions, peppers, bean sprouts, and lime wedges. Squeeze some lime over top and add fish sauce. Cook till done - delicious!

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    I love Bok sauted, If it is mature you just start slicing it and saute with some onion and garlic, you can season with coconut aminos if you like.
    Baby Boks are GREAT, cut in half and cut the bottom off just enough to get the stem off, but to keep in tact. fry them in a flat pan until they start to tender. They seem to lean towards the need for an asian flair as far as seasoning. Great in soups, clear broth, bok, straw mushrooms, chili peppers......NOM NOM
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    The way my mom prepares it is to boil it for the quickest cooking time. Alternatively, you could also steam it.

Boiling instructions:
    Add salt to pot of water and boil. Add large bunch of bok choy (stems chopped) to boiling water in pot to make 1 layer. Cover and let water come to a boil, about 2-3 minutes, and let boil for another 2-3 minutes. Take out all the bok choy (blanch if you want) and start over.

Steaming will probably take about 7-8 minutes, depending on how much there is in the steaming pot.

Bamboozel is offline Senior Member
    Bok choy is best steamed! put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes or in a steamer. Don't over cook it though because it becomes bitter. simply slice it in half, wash and place in a bowl in the microwave. Zap for 1-2 minutes. done!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like bok choy, mushrooms, chicken and chicken broth. Makes a quick soup. Its also really good sauteed with garlic and mushrooms.