Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: I don't care about helping others anymore!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    236

    I don't care about helping others anymore!

    Does anyone feel this way? When I first started reading and really got into nutritional science, I was ecstatic and wanted to share it with my family and friends. Then, when meeting such resistance, my motivation to share my knowledge slowly weaned as my words continued to fall on unreceptive ears.

    I've pestered my boyfriend repeatedly, since he wants to lose weight and he trusts mostly everything I say (because he knows how much of a book nerd I can be). He texted me the other day "You're gonna be mad...I ate a beefy sandwich with french bread." I texted back, "Eat what you want babe. Your choice."

    Your choice...meaning, I don't give a crap anymore! It's too hard to convince others. I'll only help myself now. Both my parents are going to the doctor currently for inherently systemic inflammatory conditions, and I could give them a 10 minute presentation on how they can help themselves, but they don't want to. They just want a prescription. Like Wolf said, "modern medicine doctors are here to help people who don't want to help themselves."

    I'm in the angry-primal phase. This is probably not doing well for my cortisol.......

    Thoughts appreciated. Who feels the same way?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    791
    I'm with you, I started this journey with my wife, so that's one less person. My parents are the same way too, I tried to tell my brother about it, and "he'd look into it". He's been on statins for years and only 39 years old!

    Unfortunately, their diets do nothing but harm them. As much as I'd like to, I don't discuss it with anyone, unless I'm asked directly. I decided to get my cert as a personal trainer because of this lifestyle, maybe I can bring people in that way.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    34
    I don't really see how people can argue about having lots of fresh veg and organic meat...and bacon. How can you argue with bacon?

    I know people get hung up about having 'high fat', but it's not as though I'm drinking pints of oil or anything. I tell people how I eat and train if they're interested, but I don't preach or else I'll be no better than some of those annoying vegetarians who think they have the high ground and need to convert everyone. Everyone's free to do as they please. If people want to make a positive change to their life, it ultimately has to be their choice and through their own effort.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186
    I've given up too. Hanging around here makes it feel like everyone knows this, but very few people have agreed with anything I've said and those just happened to have read paleo-related books.
    I talk to so many people/friends my age who are depressed and anxious and tired and getting pissed off about skin problems. I tried telling them about it and I either get told that it's bullshit or more commonly a polite "I couldn't do that".

    So, to alleviate my strong urge to save a world that doesn't want saving I remember that less demand = more supply = cheaper food for me. My food's expensive enough as it is, don't want $500/lb butter here like that Norway incident.

    Then, I remember that looking, feeling, and acting healthy while living in an unnatural environment puts me ahead of the game. I don't have much to work with as far as genetics go, so let the genetically-gifted eat their bread and vegetable oils.

    This world has created me! Bwahahaha.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    I don't really see how people can argue about having lots of fresh veg and organic meat...and bacon. How can you argue with bacon?

    I know people get hung up about having 'high fat', but it's not as though I'm drinking pints of oil or anything. I tell people how I eat and train if they're interested, but I don't preach or else I'll be no better than some of those annoying vegetarians who think they have the high ground and need to convert everyone. Everyone's free to do as they please. If people want to make a positive change to their life, it ultimately has to be their choice and through their own effort.
    You seem to have much better resolve about this issue! If people ask I might tell them, but usually I don't tell them. I don't tell them "I load sweet potatoes with butter and eat bacon regularly..." which is what I'd proudly post here. I'll tell them "I limit sugar and processed wheats, grains and flours."

    It's more the times when my boyfriend will ask me if I've gone to the gym. He likes to tease me that I'm lazy and don't run. I tell him I lift weights at home and walk. He thinks working out twice a day is the way to go, and I KNOW he's struggling to lose around 10 lbs from his ideal. Heck, I can't even convince him to turn the light off when he sleeps! He doesn't like sleeping in darkness. Oh dear lord.

    THEN, just last night, talking with my dad in the kitchen and him eating a bowl of cheerios with fat-free milk. He starts at it: "I just don't know how anyone can drink anything besides fat-free milk. You call feel all that fat going down your throat, just waiting to clog your arteries!"

    Meanwhile, my dad is probably 370 lbs, if I had to guess.

    The irritants add up...until I explode...and start a thread on MDA to vent

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by kcarol View Post

    The irritants add up...until I explode...and start a thread on MDA to vent
    Indeed, this is why I love the "Funny CW Moments" thread on the "success stories" forum. its a good place to vent, although it is also a self-acknowledged "self-righteous circle-jerk" sometimes
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

    My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

    Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Indeed, this is why I love the "Funny CW Moments" thread on the "success stories" forum. its a good place to vent, although it is also a self-acknowledged "self-righteous circle-jerk" sometimes
    Awesome! I should visit that thread. I have too many of those--like when I told my best friend I was fasting one day and she thought I was putting myself in serious health complications.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Indeed, this is why I love the "Funny CW Moments" thread on the "success stories" forum. its a good place to vent, although it is also a self-acknowledged "self-righteous circle-jerk" sometimes
    Same here
    " If you truly love nature you will find beauty everywhere"

    - Vincent Van Gogh




    Primal Since January 2011

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by kcarol View Post
    You seem to have much better resolve about this issue! If people ask I might tell them, but usually I don't tell them. I don't tell them "I load sweet potatoes with butter and eat bacon regularly..." which is what I'd proudly post here. I'll tell them "I limit sugar and processed wheats, grains and flours."

    It's more the times when my boyfriend will ask me if I've gone to the gym. He likes to tease me that I'm lazy and don't run. I tell him I lift weights at home and walk. He thinks working out twice a day is the way to go, and I KNOW he's struggling to lose around 10 lbs from his ideal. Heck, I can't even convince him to turn the light off when he sleeps! He doesn't like sleeping in darkness. Oh dear lord.

    THEN, just last night, talking with my dad in the kitchen and him eating a bowl of cheerios with fat-free milk. He starts at it: "I just don't know how anyone can drink anything besides fat-free milk. You call feel all that fat going down your throat, just waiting to clog your arteries!"

    Meanwhile, my dad is probably 370 lbs, if I had to guess.

    The irritants add up...until I explode...and start a thread on MDA to vent
    That's a good point about the training side of things. My workouts are normally about half an hour or so and just a few times a week. Some weeks more, some weeks less. I don't have a set plan when I go in the gym, I just do what I feel I need to on that day. But, like your boyfriend, I do remember when I used to train a couple of times a day, 6 days a week and got nowhere other than getting injured and looking bloated. It is difficult when you're in a relationship to try and 'convince' them of the benefits, but he'll have to decide for himself (or at least make him feel like it was his idea - us guys can be stubborn creatures!). Maybe point him in the direction of crossfit or something similar. Has he always needed the light on to sleep? Or is it just since he's training so much?

    I think living by example, as someone else said, is the key. I met up with a group of old school mates recently that I hadn't seen for years, and one of them said it looks like I'm the only one in the group who hasn't really aged! Years down the line that difference will get more noticeable (I'm hoping!), unless they change their lifestyle too.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    That's a good point about the training side of things. My workouts are normally about half an hour or so and just a few times a week. Some weeks more, some weeks less. I don't have a set plan when I go in the gym, I just do what I feel I need to on that day. But, like your boyfriend, I do remember when I used to train a couple of times a day, 6 days a week and got nowhere other than getting injured and looking bloated. It is difficult when you're in a relationship to try and 'convince' them of the benefits, but he'll have to decide for himself (or at least make him feel like it was his idea - us guys can be stubborn creatures!). Maybe point him in the direction of crossfit or something similar. Has he always needed the light on to sleep? Or is it just since he's training so much?

    I think living by example, as someone else said, is the key. I met up with a group of old school mates recently that I hadn't seen for years, and one of them said it looks like I'm the only one in the group who hasn't really aged! Years down the line that difference will get more noticeable (I'm hoping!), unless they change their lifestyle too.
    I have nooo idea about the light thing actually. He says he just prefers it? He gets sick very often too. I tried to explain the benefits of darkness and hormonal signaling and the whole health shtick about sleep, but I think it goes in one ear and out the other sometimes. Oh boys... (Oh, I think one thing I haven't mentioned is that I'm majoring in biochemistry. He was a business major. He'll "listen," cause he knows this is my thing, but I don't know how much he retains. :P)

    I have done CrossFit in the past, so he definitely knows about it. He actually told me it was too hardcore for him! Now I've left CrossFit and am trying to stick to weight training and walking (I want to lean out as much as possible right now, and I've heard this is more conducive to leanness than CrossFit, albeit a brutally awesome workout). But now I'm "lazy" for just walking. How paradoxical right?

    I agree with your last part. I think that's ultimately what I'm sticking too to, waiting for others to ask. Buuut, with all his teasing, I can't wait to lean out a bit more and give the "I told you so" verbal beating coming to his sorry ass for calling me lazy 1000x times. I'll be soooooo ready.

    In the mean time, mouth shut, focusing on myself. That's all I have the patience for.
    Last edited by kcarol; 02-01-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •