Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't care about helping others anymore! page

kcarol is offline Senior Member

I don't care about helping others anymore!

Shop Now
    Does anyone feel this way? When I first started reading and really got into nutritional science, I was ecstatic and wanted to share it with my family and friends. Then, when meeting such resistance, my motivation to share my knowledge slowly weaned as my words continued to fall on unreceptive ears.

I've pestered my boyfriend repeatedly, since he wants to lose weight and he trusts mostly everything I say (because he knows how much of a book nerd I can be). He texted me the other day "You're gonna be mad...I ate a beefy sandwich with french bread." I texted back, "Eat what you want babe. Your choice."

Your choice...meaning, I don't give a crap anymore! It's too hard to convince others. I'll only help myself now. Both my parents are going to the doctor currently for inherently systemic inflammatory conditions, and I could give them a 10 minute presentation on how they can help themselves, but they don't want to. They just want a prescription. Like Wolf said, "modern medicine doctors are here to help people who don't want to help themselves."

I'm in the angry-primal phase. This is probably not doing well for my cortisol.......

Thoughts appreciated. Who feels the same way?

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you, I started this journey with my wife, so that's one less person. My parents are the same way too, I tried to tell my brother about it, and "he'd look into it". He's been on statins for years and only 39 years old!

Unfortunately, their diets do nothing but harm them. As much as I'd like to, I don't discuss it with anyone, unless I'm asked directly. I decided to get my cert as a personal trainer because of this lifestyle, maybe I can bring people in that way.

stevew is offline Member
    I don't really see how people can argue about having lots of fresh veg and organic meat...and bacon. How can you argue with bacon?

I know people get hung up about having 'high fat', but it's not as though I'm drinking pints of oil or anything. I tell people how I eat and train if they're interested, but I don't preach or else I'll be no better than some of those annoying vegetarians who think they have the high ground and need to convert everyone. Everyone's free to do as they please. If people want to make a positive change to their life, it ultimately has to be their choice and through their own effort.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    I've given up too. Hanging around here makes it feel like everyone knows this, but very few people have agreed with anything I've said and those just happened to have read paleo-related books.
    I talk to so many people/friends my age who are depressed and anxious and tired and getting pissed off about skin problems. I tried telling them about it and I either get told that it's bullshit or more commonly a polite "I couldn't do that".

So, to alleviate my strong urge to save a world that doesn't want saving I remember that less demand = more supply = cheaper food for me. My food's expensive enough as it is, don't want $500/lb butter here like that Norway incident.

Then, I remember that looking, feeling, and acting healthy while living in an unnatural environment puts me ahead of the game. I don't have much to work with as far as genetics go, so let the genetically-gifted eat their bread and vegetable oils.

This world has created me! Bwahahaha.

Meegeek is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I have gotten that way with various members of our family. My SIL is the worst, she is obese and has followed us on the different CW diets we have tried in the past. Her eating habits are so bad that though, she has gone back up and ended up heavier then when she started. She has gerd, IBS, and a history of breast cancer and diabetes on her maternal side. Hell, her mother died of cancer. To top this all off, she is a practicing mid-wife and RN. We have pretty much given up on her, although she calls my wife at least once a week to try and figure out what she should be eating. This has been going on for 30 years. It is totally effed up, imho. We are kind of dreading when we see them again, maybe not until June. My wife and I specifically talked about this. My wife is just too much of a caring person to not say something eventually. I on the other hand have a hard time being in the same room with her. I have usually been the heavier fat one, so she has always made, sometimes backhanded, comments on my weight in the past.

I just don't give a crap anymore!

On the other hand, I have noticed you can influence folks around you by you actions. They have eyes and a brain, can put things together and figure it out. You don't have to preach, a positive attitude and smiles go a long way.
    "When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... you find someone to carry you."

Onward....my primal journal
    2012 Slow Movement Challenge: My distance so far = 665 kM

My Map My Tracks Profile

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    A man convinced against his will is still unconvinced.

Kate_Tower is offline Member
    I feel ya. I am kind of keeping my PB journey a secret at the moment. I am just not talking about it. Partially because I was a vegetarian for years and people were used to my "wierd" eating habits. But I just did not feel good as a veggie. I have switched to PB for three weeks and I feel really good, better in 3 weeks than I did 3 years as a veggie. I am not starving all the time and I have shed 6 pounds easily. My plan is to educate those who ask me what I am doing. Other than that, I am not talking about it!

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    A man convinced against his will is still unconvinced.
    Channeling you inner dado?

I'm sorry, I'm don't want to derail the thread.....

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    LOL I thought it would be easier convincing folks that primal eating is healthy after my disastrous attempt at trying to show that a veg diet was healthy. Of course people get pissed when you tell them that meat, eggs, dairy and the like are unhealthy. But with primal, you keep all that stuff! the only thing is the grains! i find it amazing that more people don't jump on the bandwagon for primal. all for ''precious'' grains...

and also: PEOPLE LOVE BUTTER! why wouldn't they be thrilled to find out that butter is good to eat??? isn't that the best discovery in the world?~!!? YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF! EAT ALL THE BUTTER!!!!

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    I don't really see how people can argue about having lots of fresh veg and organic meat...and bacon. How can you argue with bacon?

I know people get hung up about having 'high fat', but it's not as though I'm drinking pints of oil or anything. I tell people how I eat and train if they're interested, but I don't preach or else I'll be no better than some of those annoying vegetarians who think they have the high ground and need to convert everyone. Everyone's free to do as they please. If people want to make a positive change to their life, it ultimately has to be their choice and through their own effort.
    You seem to have much better resolve about this issue! If people ask I might tell them, but usually I don't tell them. I don't tell them "I load sweet potatoes with butter and eat bacon regularly..." which is what I'd proudly post here. I'll tell them "I limit sugar and processed wheats, grains and flours."

It's more the times when my boyfriend will ask me if I've gone to the gym. He likes to tease me that I'm lazy and don't run. I tell him I lift weights at home and walk. He thinks working out twice a day is the way to go, and I KNOW he's struggling to lose around 10 lbs from his ideal. Heck, I can't even convince him to turn the light off when he sleeps! He doesn't like sleeping in darkness. Oh dear lord.

THEN, just last night, talking with my dad in the kitchen and him eating a bowl of cheerios with fat-free milk. He starts at it: "I just don't know how anyone can drink anything besides fat-free milk. You call feel all that fat going down your throat, just waiting to clog your arteries!"

Meanwhile, my dad is probably 370 lbs, if I had to guess.

The irritants add up...until I explode...and start a thread on MDA to vent

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast