Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I don't care about helping others anymore! page 8

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Going to need to talk to my mom, again, though. She just had back surgery, is overweight, has apparently some heart issues they discovered while she was in recovery, and a lung infection. They put her on a "low carb diabetic diet" which I need to figure out, odd since her doctor told her she'd drop her as a patient if she started PB. She really needs to do PB and I really need to find a way to get over her stubbornness this time around.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Eating is like religion; most people stick to what they were brought up with and the converted rarely convert to anything else. I stay out of it unless people really hammer at me. Not worth the effort. People have to have their own epiphanies for them to take.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Try convincing people that vegetables are irrelevant.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I like natural bodybuilding and nutrition, and was always tuned into the science side of it. Years ago I started looking at exercise/physic (and nutrition, too) from a hunter/gatherer POV. But I didn't have the diet dialed in right. I figured the AMA's and FDA's guidelines were based on good science; and reading Covert Bailey's Fit or Fat books reinforced that belief.

I felt I had to starve myself to get lean. Now I'm 55yr old, 200lbs, the six pack are showing, and I don't feel hungry. Paleo/primal diet is what was missing from my routine all those years. So, yeah, I like to talk about paleo/primal to anyone who'll listen and is interested in fitness and nutrition. But since it goes against conventional wisdom it'll get tuned out as just some fad diet.

Here's my concern: my wife is a nurse but won't read up on the medical reasons for go paleo/primal. My kids are interested in paleo/primal but aren't trying very hard to follow it, one of them has the PB 21 day Transformation. Their excuses is with college they are too busy. Both my wife and my 21yr old daughter have hypothyroidism. My wife complains about some foods affecting her stomach after she eats. Knowing that my daughter eats a lot of breads and sugar do I just shut up about her diet? What I've learned is that (chronic) hyperinflation affect the adrenal stress which affects thyroid. And that high insulin affects T4 from converting to T3 resulting in hypothyroidism. Her OB has her on thyroid meds and is telling my daughter she'll have to take them the rest of her life. See #39 and #8 iTunes - Podcasts - Primal Body Primal Mind Radio by Nora T. Gedgaudas, CNS, CNT of these itunes, and this interview with Mark Sisson by Dr Lo at 29 minutes The Primal Blueprint with Mark Sisson 10/11 by DrLoRadio | Blog Talk Radio

So, knowing what I've now learned and it directly relates to my family's personal health do I just shut the hell up and watch them self-destruct their health because they don't have the knowledge?
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    my grandmother used to say, "like throwing pearls to swine".. Of course, she was talking about preaching to a drunk but u understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Penady View Post
    I guess the difference is that people can make poor educated choices, not poor uneducated choices.
    Does that make sense?
    Makes total sense. One of my biggest pet peeves in this world is deliberate ignorance. I love knowledge, CRAVE knowledge, especially from novel points of view or differing ideas. That's how I grow as a person. Some people are just not open to novelty. In order to stay sane, I have to accept that about some people. And it will take a while to overcome the CW...look how long that stuff has been preached, it's not going away anytime soon. Educate the ones open to the experience and wait patiently for the rest (or as patiently as you can). Hopefully, they'll come around.[/QUOTE]

Oh, now I can relate to that. I once heard that a working definition of stupid is "a refusal to learn something that is directly beneficial to you."
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

I do have a friend who goes to the gym, has a personal trainer, and he's been trying to lose weight. I had laid off workingout for a number of years and started back up because my blood pressure was up. My doc, who is now paleo too, said to me "you know what to do. Get back in shape and drop the weight." So that's what I did. In the process I discovered paleo/primal and the more I dug into the science research underlying it the more it made sense to me. Bottom line is I've leaned out while my friend wasn't. He's now gone paleo/primal is telling me it's working for him. He's since dropped over 20lbs.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I'll tell people who've noticed how I've changed about the PB if they ask but in general I don't bother. I'm dead inside I guess.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    I'm with ya OP. I stopped telling people because they never listened and I just got tired of being ignored basically.
    My DH has a friend that has been trying to get in to shape. We told them (he and his wife) about Primal and how we lost weight doing it etc etc. They seemed interested, but yeah, it was all for show. Doesn't help that his wife wants to be a pastry chef and 100% buys in to the CW.

And then a SiL... she's pretty overweight and has asked me multiple times about Primal. I tell her every time what it's like, and that once you start, it's really not that difficult, especially if you're not super strict (which DH and I aren't).
    The info doesn't even make it in to one ear. She hears the "no wheat, no grains" comment and just totally shuts me out. And sure enough, she's still big and unhappy while she stuffs crap in to her body.

It just gets to the point where you care, but don't care any longer. You don't want to see the people you love unhappy with themselves, but when they totally ignore any and all advice... you just can't help but say F- it.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast