Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't care about helping others anymore! page 6

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I do not sell this diet to anyone. People have seen me eat at work for 5 months now. I finally told them about the diet and how it has helped but they can't get past the whole bread thing. Meanwhile I have to watch a coworker turn into a basket case on her low fat portion control nightmare and listen to her weekly tear sessions as it tears her apart eating fat free Franken-food. People can't see the evidence staring right at them and they really love a crying, dieting woman. They can relate to that, not to success.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    The people around me know what I do. I sometimes see the subtle influence of my health choices on them - my roommate experimenting with gluten free muffins (almond flour and the best muffins I've ever eaten bar none), other roommate trying out crossfit (she's a veggo distance runner, so this is a major thing even though I didn't continue cfit). My dad is semi-paleo, at least he stopped the 1/2 gallon of juice per day habit, constant snacking, and makes sure to get enough protein in his diet. My uncle getting diagnosed with gluten intolerance helped as well. I did buy PB for my sis, who struggles with all kinds of health problems, but it's up to her to try it - she knows what I do and has seen my transformation. Persuasion doesn't work. You can lead a sister to water, but you can't make her give up bagels.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I do not sell this diet to anyone. People have seen me eat at work for 5 months now. I finally told them about the diet and how it has helped but they can't get past the whole bread thing. Meanwhile I have to watch a coworker turn into a basket case on her low fat portion control nightmare and listen to her weekly tear sessions as it tears her apart eating fat free Franken-food. People can't see the evidence staring right at them and they really love a crying, dieting woman. They can relate to that, not to success.
    I read the thread you started. You said her argument was that you simply gain all the weight back once you simply start eating bread again? Did you tell her it's more akin to vegetarianism; ie dietary choices that you keep for life, allowing you to stay in the healthy, lean homeostasis that comes with it?

Of course, I would only reply with that if she attacks primal. While I don't necessarily sell anyone on it, if anyone starts talking about how bad red meat is, I will come back at them. They usually have no argument and go silent. I'm not THAT nice to let that one go.

Good example. My dad's friend recently lost a lot of weight. We were at dinner and he started talking.

"Well, we all know what's good for us. Veggies here, fruit there, stay away from red meat."

My dad said, "Oh Kim, you must be dying."

He looked confused. I decided to explain to my dad's friend.

"If you study hormesis and macronutrient metabolism, not to mention how saturated fat and dietary cholesterol relate to weight gain and heart disease, it's becoming more and more clear that eating red meat ad libitum is far more beneficial than it is harmful, and the wonder of vegetables is largely overrated as the superior food. It's in the newer research and papers critiquing past epidemiology."

Surely you can debate my statement, but can they? CW people can't. He said this:

"Oh, well, I don't really read research."

That was ACTUALLY his comeback. The conversation ended.

I don't like sounding like a know-it-all prick, which I'm sure that's how I came off...but...you gotta do what you gotta do. If slinging a couple big words and telling someone I've read research makes them judge me, screw them. Don't start the conversation then. It's pertinent, not superfluous, and you're an idiot for believing everything the USDA tells you.

Man it felt good to say that.

Anyway...that's about the only time I chime in and defend it, nowadays.
    Last edited by kcarol; 02-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm currently pushing Fast 5 intermittent fasting book to just about anyone who will listen but other than that I've given up on friends/family/the general public. I've been involved with nutrition a full 20 years and people just don't get it/aren't in to it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    To be fair to my co worker how do I know she is wrong. It's not like this forum is full of people years on maintenance. Mostly it's full of people in process. It remains to be seen if I achieve "look good naked" status and maintain it. I did not want an argument with her or anyone in the room. I am not a girly-girl and normally hang out with men. I figured I would put it out there for anyone interested but was taken abak by the hyper emotional response. My momentary lapse in my personal rule not to preach this diet was a mistake I regret but it still is hard to watch another person's mental health deteriorate so rapidly week after week.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Toxalot is offline Junior Member
    I have a real problem with people who complain about their current status while refusing to explore new options. If you don't want to hear what I think, don't complain around me.

IndyMike is offline Junior Member
    No joke, Toxalot.

I just don't get the mentality of the mainstreamers.

I mean, your diet / habits got you a mixture of the following: obesity, diabetic, taking statins and/or a pharmacy's worth of pills EVERY DAY, and feeling awful all the time.

And you really think STAYING ON COURSE is ever going to help you get better?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    To be fair to my co worker how do I know she is wrong. It's not like this forum is full of people years on maintenance. Mostly it's full of people in process. It remains to be seen if I achieve "look good naked" status and maintain it. .
    There are actually a lot of people years on maintenance but they don't tend to post as much. I "got healthy" in six months and have spend the past 1.5 years moving into "really dang fit for 40" category. There are lots of others. Also a lot of formerly extremely obese folks who have gotten to a far, far healthier spot than anyone thought they could get to. They're still "in progress" because they've only lost 120 out of the 175 they need to have BMI < 25. But there is a ton of longish-term maintenance here.
    I agree with your main points though.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    There are actually a lot of people years on maintenance but they don't tend to post as much. I "got healthy" in six months and have spend the past 1.5 years moving into "really dang fit for 40" category. There are lots of others. Also a lot of formerly extremely obese folks who have gotten to a far, far healthier spot than anyone thought they could get to. They're still "in progress" because they've only lost 120 out of the 175 they need to have BMI < 25. But there is a ton of longish-term maintenance here.
    I agree with your main points though.
    Do you believe BMI is more important than having a healthy percentage body fat and waist to height ratio?

I'd expect a significant number of long-term PB followers on maintenance to have a BMI in the 25-30 range and be muscular with the indicators I've mentioned in the healthy range. Especially men.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    but I don't preach or else I'll be no better than some of those annoying vegetarians who think they have the high ground and need to convert everyone.

I think this is a big part of it for me. I am just starting to really get going but have been reading this site and others recently trying to educate myself. I think as soon as you say the word "primal", people are done listening. It is the shortcut word that we all understand but I suspect it is a red flag to those who have never read or heard anything about it. Just like when someone tells me I should be a vegetarian. I cant get away fast enough.

I was just talking to a guy last night and the subject of food came up. I told him I had been in a rut and was just eating to eat and that I have decided to be a lot more concious of what goes in. I had been reading a lot and decided to try to eliminate as much processed food as I can from my life. Plenty of meat, fish, chicken etc. as well as beautiful fresh veggies and fruit. I told him about my bounty from the local farmers market the other day. I also thew in there that I had been reading a lot about grains and that I was going to try to do without them for a while and see how it goes. He mentioned that he had heard a lot about gluten free which was cool that he participated in the conversation.

All I'm saying is there is a way to go about it with people in you circle that wont turn them off so fast. They still may reject it, for now, but that's ok too. It shouldnt bother us if they dont want to do the same thing we are or agree with everything we say. Now family is a different story. Family is crazy.

I definitely understand the sentiments here but I also think it is a good way to live your life to put others first. Science thought the world was flat for a long time and we recently lost a planet so common wisdom doesnt always prevail but it typically takes time. Enjoy good health.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast