Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't care about helping others anymore! page 2

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Control what you can control and let the rest go by the waste-side... even if you love the person, you can't control how they view nutrition, health and the world.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcarol View Post

The irritants add up...until I explode...and start a thread on MDA to vent
    Indeed, this is why I love the "Funny CW Moments" thread on the "success stories" forum. its a good place to vent, although it is also a self-acknowledged "self-righteous circle-jerk" sometimes
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefGrok View Post
    Channeling you inner dado?

I'm sorry, I'm don't want to derail the thread.....
    Nah, it's my mantra because by nature I want to get people to do primal or whatever else I've decided is the right thing to do. I spent 20 years getting really good at tearing down arguments, and verbally boxing people into corners so they agreed with me, just to see them do the exact opposite thing as soon I turned my back.

Realizing that people aren't going to change unless they themselves want to probably cut my cortisol by 75%.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Nah, it's my mantra because by nature I want to get people to do primal or whatever else I've decided is the right thing to do. I spent 20 years getting really good at tearing down arguments, and verbally boxing people into corners so they agreed with me, just to see them do the exact opposite thing as soon I turned my back.

Realizing that people aren't going to change unless they themselves want to probably cut my cortisol by 75%.
    I thought your quote was really appropriate actually. People don't really want to be helped, unless they want to help themselves. And they sure as heck won't be convinced of anything if they don't want to be. This is what the phrase "keeping an open mind" is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Indeed, this is why I love the "Funny CW Moments" thread on the "success stories" forum. its a good place to vent, although it is also a self-acknowledged "self-righteous circle-jerk" sometimes
    Awesome! I should visit that thread. I have too many of those--like when I told my best friend I was fasting one day and she thought I was putting myself in serious health complications.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    Control what you can control and let the rest go by the waste-side... even if you love the person, you can't control how they view nutrition, health and the world.
    Was that a pun? I think it's wayside cute.

Learn something new every day appreciate the advice. I really can't control those around me, even if I think I could help them and make them ultimately happier. It's just not my place.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I decided at the start I would tell nobody about this diet until they said that it looked like I have lost weight and ask me what I've done. Exception is my partner because I live with him and he needs to know what I will and won't eat. So far not a single person has noticed my weight loss and asked me what I've done even though my clothes are falling off. Bummer because another gal in my group crows about the weightloss she has achieved in preparation for her upcoming wedding. Of course, she's just down the basic low-fat, low calorie thing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

stevew is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcarol View Post
    You seem to have much better resolve about this issue! If people ask I might tell them, but usually I don't tell them. I don't tell them "I load sweet potatoes with butter and eat bacon regularly..." which is what I'd proudly post here. I'll tell them "I limit sugar and processed wheats, grains and flours."

It's more the times when my boyfriend will ask me if I've gone to the gym. He likes to tease me that I'm lazy and don't run. I tell him I lift weights at home and walk. He thinks working out twice a day is the way to go, and I KNOW he's struggling to lose around 10 lbs from his ideal. Heck, I can't even convince him to turn the light off when he sleeps! He doesn't like sleeping in darkness. Oh dear lord.

THEN, just last night, talking with my dad in the kitchen and him eating a bowl of cheerios with fat-free milk. He starts at it: "I just don't know how anyone can drink anything besides fat-free milk. You call feel all that fat going down your throat, just waiting to clog your arteries!"

Meanwhile, my dad is probably 370 lbs, if I had to guess.

The irritants add up...until I explode...and start a thread on MDA to vent
    That's a good point about the training side of things. My workouts are normally about half an hour or so and just a few times a week. Some weeks more, some weeks less. I don't have a set plan when I go in the gym, I just do what I feel I need to on that day. But, like your boyfriend, I do remember when I used to train a couple of times a day, 6 days a week and got nowhere other than getting injured and looking bloated. It is difficult when you're in a relationship to try and 'convince' them of the benefits, but he'll have to decide for himself (or at least make him feel like it was his idea - us guys can be stubborn creatures!). Maybe point him in the direction of crossfit or something similar. Has he always needed the light on to sleep? Or is it just since he's training so much?

I think living by example, as someone else said, is the key. I met up with a group of old school mates recently that I hadn't seen for years, and one of them said it looks like I'm the only one in the group who hasn't really aged! Years down the line that difference will get more noticeable (I'm hoping!), unless they change their lifestyle too.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    I don't, mainly because I have always hated it when people have told me what to do. Especially when Mormons, of which there has been a resurgence in the region over the past few months, try to accost me on the bus, and other Christians start street broadcasting in Market Street.

The other reason is that I feel that one approach won't work for everyone, and that we all have to find our own way.

My approach is to get the physique I want and point people in the right direction if they ask, and let them know how I did it.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've given up, too. I don't care if people want to eat bread, it's thier choice. And who am I to preach to them when I cheat every month with ice cream, wine, chocolate or honey and whatnot.

BUT...I DO still recommend to everyone to check out local farmer's markets...because I don't believe in feeding industrial food companies (including feedlots and battery chicken) with hard earned money. Everyones health should be worth a lot more than that.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast