Thread: Anemia? For women page

lolawolf is offline Member

Anemia? For women

Shop Now
    I'm wondering if I need to take iron supplements on top of the iron rich foods I'm already eating?

I had my implanon removed last friday and my period started full force a couple of days ago.Since it started I've been really sleepy - feeling like I really could sleep all day - and I'm thinking it's because of the blood loss?

I was curious what other primal women did? Do you take supplements? Or just eat more iron rich foods?
    Heaviest - 4/28/11 - 190
    - 1/12 - 171.4
    - 07/12 - 160&got pregnant!
    - 11/12 - 150ish
    Losing fat but gaining baby? WOO!
    Goal - healthy, happy baby and happy mama!

souldanzer is offline Senior Member
    Eat liver.

Heavy bleeding is a vicious cycle, the more you bleed, the more iron you loose. The lower your iron, the more you bleed. What you really need to deal with heavy bleeding is vitamin A, to decrease the bleeding. Eat liver, it's got tons of vitamin A and iron. Throw in some vitamin c for absorption.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    have tried both in the past, i think eating more iron rich foods works better (and is tastier)
    beef heart is really great for this. all beef, really, but heart is delicious and iron rich.
    i've heard that you are not supposed to have iron and calcium together because the calcium blocks absorption?
    i don't have any science to back that up though. nonetheless, unless you hear otherwise, if you're a milk/cream/cheese eater it might be best to separate the consumption of those from your deliberately increased iron intakes.

oh yes one other thing... for me, iron --> "not being able to use restroom"... unfortunate side effect, i guess. don't have a solution for it, sadly, just be prepared.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    ^Vitamin C aids in absorption and helps with the constipation issue.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would eat liver. You don't just lose iron when you are bleeding - but other important things as well. Liver has just about everything you could need.

I would also make an appointment to get your iron, ferritin, and B12 levels checked. If you are very anemic you may want to consider a high quality supplement for a while. There are some quality brands out there that have fewer side effects. Lots of people have success with the Floradix brand.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member

floradix

i second the floradix, i remember my little sis took that when she was anemic as a track runner in high school, and it worked well for her.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Cannot forget to UP the Vitamin C though, the iron will do you NO good if you dont!
    Strawberries and Kewi's are great sources in the fruit, and GREENS
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Not a woman, but my wife gave away our cast-iron pan to her anemic best friend, who loves the pan and is no longer anemic.
    I'm glad she's healthy, but I want a new pan.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    And don't forget that the first few periods are probably not how it will be forever. Sometimes the pendelum swings way too far before it corrects itself.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com