Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Peeps...Whats your latest purchase? page 3

billp is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by prodistat View Post
    You must have very soft facial hair, not be prone to ingrown hairs, be okay with a lot of tugging and uncomfortable shaves, or produce a ton of oil.
    Nope, none of that. Thick and distinctly wiry beard. But it is blond, so I can get away with 5 o'clock shadow. I have had the odd ingrown hair - maybe once every couple of years.
    Even using feather blades on a DE safety razor, I have to replace the blades at least once a week. With no shaving soap I get tons of irritation despite using witch-hazel afterwards.
    I don't know what witch hazel is. You get irritation because of your shaving cream/soap whatever and your blade is too sharp, not because your blade is blunt. In fact I find best results are when the blade has has a few weeks to break in. Otherwise I can cut myself too easily and it is too harsh on my skin.
    Next you'll be telling us that cold-water shaving is THE BEST THING EVER!
    Have a hot shower. Wash your hair without shampoo - i.e. give your head a quick rub under the shower. Come out. Bathroom is full of steam. Fill the basin with hot water and shave normally. Keep the blade hot. Using warm water instead of hot and having not showered/lack of moisture in the air all reduce the blade's lifespan. I had one I had to change after six months due to carelessness like that.

The thing about coming out of a hot shower is that the heat and water naturally softens your stubble.
    Shaving foam? Maybe. You can use a shaving soap. Some people like the pre-shave/shaving oils as well as lather-less creams.
    Putting chemicals on your face every day is a totally unnatural part of male grooming. I've got a beard at the moment, but when I do shave the quality is all reduced by these additives. Hot water and a sharpish razor are optimal.

I found this searching for "shaving foam con": The Shaving Cream Racket by Jeffrey A. Tucker
    See, I'm not alone. I have better skin and I save time and money as a result.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I found this searching for "shaving foam con": The Shaving Cream Racket by Jeffrey A. Tucker
    See, I'm not alone. I have better skin and I save time and money as a result.
    Thanks for the link!

As someone who has already abandoned shampoo and conditioner I welcome this advice and will give it a try immediately.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raptoryell View Post
    I'll give the hot water a try for the shave....I sometimes use a little baby oil with a few drops of olive oil. Like a homemade shave oil.
    As far as the shampoo goes, I'll stick with my Dr. Bronners (Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps All-One!) for hair and body. I follow up with a splash of distilled white vinegar on the head afterwards. then rinse.
    When I stopped using detergents on my head my hair loss stopped completely. It didn't grow back, but it used to recede a lot more and now it is stable. I don't get dandruff any more either. I would be a little wary of using vinegar on myself anywhere. Its an industrial cleaner, and it works great on sinks and floors. I can't believe it can be good for your skin. Same with paraffin (baby oil) or olive oils. If you put it on your skin it is an alien compound that might get absorbed. When I cook with animal fats a lot I find they are quickly absorbed by the skin of my hands, and after a wipe they don't need washing. So maybe lard/dripping is a better skin ointment.

Mountainduck is offline Member
    I just picked up a 12" cast iron skillet. Seasoned my old 10" one that I never really used except to make corn bread. WOW! Never realized what I was missing! Heats even, requires less heat, and finishes food with a different texture. My old one is slick as a whistle. Quick rinse with hot water, and she's ready for the next batch of primal awesomeness!! Highly recommend the switch to cast iron!!

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raptoryell View Post
    As far as the shampoo goes, I'll stick with my Dr. Bronners (Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps All-One!) for hair and body. I follow up with a splash of distilled white vinegar on the head afterwards. then rinse.
    I use Dr. Bronner's, too; only for my hair I use 1/2 Dr. Bronner's and 1/2 baking soda. It works really well, and my hair now takes 3-4 days to looks oily, rather than 1 day it took previously. Those soaps are great stuff--you could almost call them magical!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I just got some Zemgear ninja booties. My object is to combine them with my huarache sandals to make hiking sandals that won't get a lot of stickers stuck in my socks. Because now my socks will be ninja booties.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I just got some Zemgear ninja booties. .
    Now those are badass. Are they comfortable?
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Just threw a bunch of money at a big box of raw meat and a vat of coconut oil. Also a bag of hyper-charged organic catnip for my little fluff babies. I sewed a handful into each of their toys and now they're drooling and flopping all over the place. Hilarious.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefGrok View Post
    Groceries... Meat, veg, eggs, goldfish crackers (for my son). Why is beef so GD expensive?!?! I live in Texas, shouldn't it be free? At the store, the cashiers always comment on all of the vegetables I buy... while most of them are as big as a house.
    Fellow Texan here too....bought two pounds of organic grass fed beef and it cost an arm and a leg....
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    2 half gallons of Trickling Springs Dairy Creamline milk, a pint of TS organic heavy cream and a pint of TS half n half - Raisin bran for the hubs (yeah, I know), a half gallon of Trickling Springs Black Raspberry Ice Cream (yesterday was my day to shop at the Menonnite farm market in Elkton) and a pair of Merrell Barefoot Life Delight Gloves minimal shoes.
    Last edited by Lynna; 02-02-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast