Thread: coconut pots de creme page

mavery is offline Junior Member

coconut pots de creme

tried this recipe over the weekend. loved it. thought i would share.

14 oz coconut milk
    5 oz 85% chocolate
    2 tablespoon 100% maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
    seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
    pinch cinnamon
    pinch nutmeg

place all (except coconut milk) ingredients in a food processor or blender. don't mix yet. bring coconut milk to a simmer. pour hot coconut milk over ingredients. mix until smooth and creamy. be careful about using the lid on the blender with hot liquids. pour into ramekins ( i used coffee cups). chill in fridge for 5 hours, if you can stand it that long. enjoy. remember to share.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Wow, this is the easiest "pudding" dessert yet and doesn't have any starch in it. Is it the chocolate holding it all together? What is the texture like?
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    YUM! Sounds amazing!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    Wow, this is the easiest "pudding" dessert yet and doesn't have any starch in it. Is it the chocolate holding it all together? What is the texture like?
    Well, chocolate is solid and coconut milk is very close when refrigerated, so it's not that surprising.

I imagine it would be like eating chocolate whipped cream.

the texture is a little thicker than, say, jello pudding (blecch). the chocolate and coconut milk do get fairly stiff when combined and refrigerated.

it is pretty decadent. definitely something to enjoy only on "special" occasions. the small amount that this recipe makes is split between myself, my wife, and the three rug rats.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    this sounds amazing! can't wait to try it!

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Just made this for a dinner party I'm going to and popped it into the freezer to chill quickly before I go.
    Tastes great!
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Just made this for a dinner party I'm going to and popped it into the freezer to chill quickly before I go.
    Tastes great!
    This went down a treat! My family are used to me bringing random primal desserts now, most of which haven't gone down to well
    The liked the carrot cake I made, but the previous versions of this and the chocolate avocado mousse have not been appreciated.
    So it was with much trepidation that they took timid tastes of this, only to find that it was absolutely delicious and then complained that I hadn't brought more

Unfortunately I'd run out of G&B organic 80% (and the heathens don't like it when the chocolate's too dark, which was part of the problem with previous desserts), so picked up a bar of Cadbury Old Gold 70% instead. In hindsight, I should've reduced the maple syrup to offset the higher sugar content...

According to www.paleotrack.com this is the nutritional breakdown for the total amount in this recipe:

You'll note that this says 3 servings, when the OP said it made 4 (2 for an adult each and 2 for a kid each), I was working on 3 adult portions.
    Last edited by Misabi; 02-05-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Do you think that I can just melt the chocolate and syrup in a double broiler and then slowly add the coconut milk in and stir together instead using the blender method?

Smile

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you think that I can just melt the chocolate and syrup in a double broiler and then slowly add the coconut milk in and stir together instead using the blender method?
    I don't see why not. mayo can be made either way, and it takes much more emulsifying to come together than this recipe. it tastes so good i would probably drink the stuff if it didn't work with that method.