Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working out with a Snorkle? page

primalrob is offline Senior Member

Working out with a Snorkle?

Shop Now
    So, today's WOD from the Spartan Race was from another organization, Gaspari Nutrition. Basically, they suggest increasing lung capacity by breathing through a straw or snorkle during your workout. Here's the link:
    GASPARI NUTRITION PRESENTS – SPARTAN WOD SERIES: WOD #3 | SPARTAN RACE

Anyone every heard of anything like this? It makes some sense to me--working your lungs and diaphragm so that they can take in more air and send more oxygen to the blood. I'm actually going to tell my wife about this because she's a musician. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried it.
    I've got sprints today, so I'm not going to do anything to affect my breathing, but tomorrow I'm only planning on an hour ride on the stationary bike...so maybe I'll give it go. The only problem is that the Gaspari people don't mention what kind of workout this is for. Is it more for strength workouts? Endurance? What does everyone think?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quite a few mma guys do this during fight specific workouts (circuit training type stuff), not sure of the validity of doing this but worth a shot I'm sure. Just be careful to adjust any other variables to account for the reduced inhalation. Here's Sean Sherk doing a gasmask workout:

thanks for posting that video, coach. i'm pretty sure that guy should be playing bane in the new batman. those workouts may be a bit intense for me at this point, but i'll give it a try with a normal bike ride this week and see how it goes.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Seems like it would drastically increase your red blood cell count and shorten your lifespan.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

UK Guy is offline Senior Member
    If I'm not mistaken wasn't Sean Sherk banned from UFC for taking steroids? So which of these variables was more responsible for his fighting fitness? Which was less so or negligible? I'm not saying this wouldn't work...there was even a power breathe device that was for sale not long ago...( but haven't seen it advertised recently...it looked like an asthma inhaler ) ...but surely increasing the quality of your workout would have a more specific effect?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Train low, perform high... something like athletes in carb-demanding activities training low carb (marathoners, etc) then carbing up prior to competition.

This sounds like the kind of thing you'd only want to do for small periods, and with a stronger purpose than "just because" but give it a shot I doubt it'll kill ya on the first go-round.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    This sounds like the kind of thing you'd only want to do for small periods, and with a stronger purpose than "just because" .
    i think so too. this isn't anything i would do on a regular basis. the article recommends one minute on, one minute off for workouts an hour long, which is a long workout for me, so i may give it a try just to see what it's like. i doubt i'll try it more than once, particularly if it makes me uncomfortable in any way. but, i can see the benefit for increasing stamina at mud runs (or sometimes i like to race people up mountains) where i've still got plenty of juice in my arms and legs, but my lungs are giving up.

i suspect that i'll give this a try, consider it silly or a waste, and never do it again.

skeedaddy is offline Member
    How does impeding the body's ability to supply oxygen during exercise result in increased oxygen supply? Why not just hold your breath while working out if this is the goal? Extending this theory to diet would result in eating less than optimally in order to produce optimal performance.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    There is a lot of data out there presenting the case that this type of training has very little benefit that quickly goes away.

I personally think it's more about gym vanity than anything.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Long while back I saw videos of BJ Penn training underwater in Hawaii, carrying rocks and shit. It was pretty cool looking but he still lost that fight, I think against GSP, but it definitely didn't have much to do with his conditioning, just that GSP is a monster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast