Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole9 Support Thread - February 2012 page

namelesswonder is online now Moderator

Whole9 Support Thread - February 2012

Shop Now
    Hello again!

Last month many of us did a Whole30 and are doing some kind of modified structure for another 30 days for February. If you haven't finished your 30 days, please feel free to check in here and let us know how you're doing

It's probably a good idea to recap what you'll be doing for your next 30 days or however long, so here's mine:

+Anti candida diet for [no particular end date, looking for yeast relief]
    -That means sugar free, no fruit even!
    +Emphasis on low histamine to reduce allergy response
    +Ultimately looking to get rid of chronic congestion & post nasal drip as well as any unusual fatigue.

This week I'm taking it easy and allowing myself some of the raw, unheated, local honey I bought, as well as whatever fruit I can get my hands on, but next week I start in strict.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am in! My Nutritional specifications are very detailed and long-winded, because I am trying to combine Whole9 approach with the Ultimate Diet 2.0:

Eliminations:
    Grain, Legumes, Fruit, Nuts (can have in a recipe), Alcohol, Natural and Artificial Sweeteners
    Restrictions:
    Coffee – I recognize that I might need coffee to either help suppress hunger or get me going with a workout. I will try to avoid it as much as possible. I will try to avoid canned foods as much as possible, but yeah, I will be consuming some preservatives from them, like sodium benzoate.
    Supplementation:
    Multivitamin, Cod Liver Fish Oil, Creatine

Special Cases:
    Dairy: In 2 to 3 weeks, after I establish if I can use white potato successfully for carb ups, I will bring home-made quark (from home-made kefir) in for the 3 carb-up days (and, possibly skim organic milk the kefir is made of). I have never seen adverse impact from dairy, and seeing I don’t eat nuts, Ca won’t hurt.
    Grains: I will go to white rice carb ups if white potato proves less efficient. I had a great success with carbing up on plain white rice, so I know what to look for.
    Jack 3D: If I am absolutely toast, I will use Jack3D per-workout. I don’t think it will come to that, but oh, well. It has art sweetener in addition to the active compounds, it is not a great thing to ingest, but I might need it for Sundays later in the program or maybe even for Wed.
    Pop-corn: I am going to have a bit of air-popped popcorn with butter with my family on Saturday once in a while. Because, f’ck it, that’s why.

Macro-Nutrients plan:
    80 g of protein a day as a min
    Tue-Fri ~ 1100 cals with 50 g of carb or below, under 40% fat
    Sat: 3000-3500 cals, 600 g carbs, under 10% fat
    Sun: 1500-1800 cals, 200 g carbs, under 15% fat
    Mon: 1300 cals, 100 g carbs, under 20% fat
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Sally Sparrow is offline Junior Member
    Okay, well, I'll be doing the "recovering vegetarian/my husband's pickier than a five-year-old" approach to adrenal/candida/histamine recovery.

I'm very new to primal, and will be following food advice from here on the candida diet-- they allow for ancient grains, brown and wild rice, oats, some nuts and seeds-- and I'll be allowing some wheat (mostly sprouted, some whole wheat, as well as a chicory coffee substitute containing rye and barley because 1. the site recommends no wheat, rye or barley in case you are gluten intolerant, and I've pretty extensively tested myself for that already, and 2. it's recommended to cut coffee and tea for adrenal fatigue, and but I need something warm and comforting for my throat/brain in the morning-- preferably something my brain recognizes as "coffee"). I know these foods don't fit in a typical Whole9, but they fit in my modified version... at least for now. Limited legumes, too, but trying to cut any vegetables considered "sweet" (i.e. carrots, beets, peas) as well as all fruit (I'm keeping coconut cream and very limited blackstrap molasses, for now). This will be the lowest in sugar my diet has been in quite awhile, maybe ever, and I'm looking forward to it!

Dairy: NO cheese whatsoever (lactose intolerant/can't have most aged foods/totally addicted, anyway), no milk or cream; ghee okay, along with limited pastured butter, Greek yogurt and kefir.
    Eggs: Cut them out about a week ago, will probably add back in, making sure I cook the whites thoroughly (uncooked eggwhites are high in histamine).
    Meat: Nothing processed/smoked/cured, trying to limit pork (per candida website), mostly eating beef and probably some raw fish with sushi.
    Antifungals: Starting with CO (took a spoonful before I worked out yesterday, along with half a dozen almonds. Worked great for energy!). May add others as I go.
    Other: Trying to expand my vegetable intake out of the cruciferous family; no chocolate, no alcohol except occasional (1/wk?) gin or vodka; will probably add occasional raw sauerkraut and a probiotic pill. Considering supplementing C and B6 as well; currently take Co-Q10 and an algae-derived Omega-3, was taking B12 before I started eating meat again.

Wonder, I'm grateful that our overlapping symptoms triggered some productive research for me. I'm feeling hopeful. And in answer to your earlier question, yes, it is a DW reference

dana_leigh is offline Senior Member
    yay! thanks for starting a new thread for february, namelesswonder! it's great to be sticking with some familiar "faces".

here's my deal for the month (or longer):

just finished a no-cheat whole30 and found it to be a really good fit for me, so that's going to be my base diet--meaning, for the most part:

no grains, legumes, dairy, added sugar, alcohol

(also, again for the most part, no processed foods--other than larabars, since they are whole30-approved, and i'm having the ones containing nuts and dates only--and generally avoid nuts and fruit otherwise; a couple people seemed to take issue with larabars on the jan thread, but i'm convinced that this post-crossfit meal--my major source of carbs and ssweets all day--is one of the things that made sticking to whole30 the entire month fairly effortless, and when it comes to diet, i'm seeking effortless, enjoyable and sustainable--not into major struggle over the long haul).

supplementation will also continue as is:
    cod liver fish oil
    MCT oil (i discovered this in jan--love the sustained energy boost it gives me when added to bulletproof coffee)

exceptions:
    wine, 3-4 glasses a week (at least at first--and i'll see how it goes--might cut it entirely again)
    white rice (if, on rare occasion--like once a month--i go out for sushi)
    special occasions (basically, if i go out to dinner with my dad or someone, i'm not going to be super-strict with any of the "rules"--going out for dinner isn't a regular occurrence, but i hated being a high maintenance insufferable bore while on the whole30 on the couple of occasions when i tried to "micromanage" my dinner plate at a restaurant).

physical activity (no change):
    CF and/or bikram class 6-7 days a week
    walk lots

happy february everyone....good luck!
    Last edited by dana_leigh; 02-01-2012 at 08:14 AM.

lawyerhands is offline Junior Member
    Hi all, day 23 of my whole 30 experiment.

Restrictions: no dairy, no legumes, no grains, no potatoes, no alcohol, no sugar, limited processing

Exceptions: when I eat out, I have chosen not to stress about what's in the marinade/what fat was used to cook.

I have to say, even after 23 days, I don't feel any noticeable improvement, but I'm holding this as an elimination diet--when day 31 comes, I'll add in one thing at a time (really, not that many things, I ate a fairly paleo diet before except for sugar and diet coke, so those are the main add-backs) and see which I can tolerate, and which I can't.

Suzeruns is offline Junior Member
    I'm happy to join you and have some company as we all work to find eating patterns that work best for us.

I was super careful in January - and might allow myself to learn a bit about moderation in Feb. But I will continue with:

NONE: Grains, nuts, legumes, dairy, eggs, sugar etc.

ESSENTIALLY NONE: Alcohol, added sweeteners of any type

I want to learn to have a glass of wine at an event or dinner, or perhaps a bite of chocolate - without slipping into a glass of wine most evenings after work. At this point, such things will only be out and at events.

TRYING TO AVOID: Anything in a box or processed. I like bacon once in a while. Same with sausages- though I buy the no-nitrate ones. I use a lot of coconut milk - sometimes even the slightly sweet ones. I am too lazy to make my own stock so often use the boxes of broth. But that's really about it.

CONTINUING TO THINK ABOUT: Fruit and other carbs. I need enough to fuel my 2-3 hours a day of exercise, but not so much that I feel icky. I think I do pretty well with this, but I need to be cognizant of what I'm doing - not just going for the easy snack.

FANTASYLAND: I am quite a snacker - actually love eating this way. But I feel soooooo much better if I stick to 3 squares and let myself actually get hungry. I'm not sure how I'm moving towards this, but I'm hoping to work on it! My snacking is rarely because of hunger so changing how I eat at meals has little impact. I have weird work hours and a teenager at home, so it's usually nibbling for no good reason.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally Sparrow View Post
    Okay, well, I'll be doing the "recovering vegetarian/my husband's pickier than a five-year-old" approach to adrenal/candida/histamine recovery.

I'm very new to primal, and will be following food advice from here on the candida diet-- they allow for ancient grains, brown and wild rice, oats, some nuts and seeds-- and I'll be allowing some wheat (mostly sprouted, some whole wheat, as well as a chicory coffee substitute containing rye and barley because 1. the site recommends no wheat, rye or barley in case you are gluten intolerant, and I've pretty extensively tested myself for that already, and 2. it's recommended to cut coffee and tea for adrenal fatigue, and but I need something warm and comforting for my throat/brain in the morning-- preferably something my brain recognizes as "coffee"). I know these foods don't fit in a typical Whole9, but they fit in my modified version... at least for now. Limited legumes, too, but trying to cut any vegetables considered "sweet" (i.e. carrots, beets, peas) as well as all fruit (I'm keeping coconut cream and very limited blackstrap molasses, for now). This will be the lowest in sugar my diet has been in quite awhile, maybe ever, and I'm looking forward to it!

Wonder, I'm grateful that our overlapping symptoms triggered some productive research for me. I'm feeling hopeful. And in answer to your earlier question, yes, it is a DW reference
    Hey Sally (glad to meet another DW fan!), I'm curious about your choice to include wheat. How minimal do you think your consumption will be? I ask because 1. it's not primal, sprouted or no, 2. it's definitely not allowed on a Whole30 (not paleo either), and 3. it's going to be converted into sugar during the digestive process. The best way to kill off candida is to keep your carbs low, and that can be quite difficult when you include grains. I'm also curious about you keeping legumes, as those are not paleo/primal either, except for green beans/string beans, because you are mostly consuming the pod. I realize these may be things you are potentially transitioning away from, as a recovering vegetarian, so I'm probably answering my own question right here haha.

I'm curious about using Grapefruit Seed Extract and/or Oil of Oregano for anti-fungals. I've read some information online that seems to indicate they can be quite beneficial, but honestly I'd rather take care of this without extra support, by just limiting my diet. It'll save me money.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Sally Sparrow, I am giving a noddy nod to what NW said about the wheat. My first major break-through was giving up sprouted wheat, and then even buckwheat and millet - the non-glutenous grains. Wheat seems to be the worst offender along with the artificial oils.

Hi all, day 23 of my whole 30 experiment.

Restrictions: no dairy, no legumes, no grains, no potatoes, no alcohol, no sugar, limited processing

Exceptions: when I eat out, I have chosen not to stress about what's in the marinade/what fat was used to cook.

I have to say, even after 23 days, I don't feel any noticeable improvement, but I'm holding this as an elimination diet--when day 31 comes, I'll add in one thing at a time (really, not that many things, I ate a fairly paleo diet before except for sugar and diet coke, so those are the main add-backs) and see which I can tolerate, and which I can't.
    I am sorry to hear you are not feeling better. I would also caution against sugar and diet drinks. Those would be the last things I would ever consider eating again. My gut feeling is that to break the barrier you might need to eliminating everything sweet & sticking to high quality fatty proteins & veggies. Maybe you can do it for the last 7-14 days, and if it doesn't work, then you try putting sweets, fruit and tubers back in? Keeping fingers crossed whatever you decide to do.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I need to try and do this (yet again!) due to trying to give up dairy.
    Will also be doing no fruit as it seems my candida is back since ive been having more dairy again and the itching is getting out of control.
    So 2nd Feb is my day one of this.

Jennerator is offline Member
    I'd love to join this thread! I've been trying to tighten up my eating habits (and hopefully my belt) this year. This month has not been too bad (especially considering how my definition of cheats has changed) but I have definitely not been perfect so far.
    I had a lot of success with a november whole 30 and I think I'm ready to do another one. (Since I've gained back the pounds I lost during that whole 30)
    Some additional restrictions: no nuts and very very little fruit (I tried to eliminate nuts last time too and i didn't make it but I actually haven't been eating nuts lately so this time should be easier)
    I also need to start limiting added fats-> more steamed veggies and less oil on my salads, but most importantly no more multiple spoonfuls of coconut oil in a day :P

I will however have a few drinks on february 19th since I'm going to a concert and it's the start of my spring break. I might allow a bit more alcohol during spring break, we will see.
    A second aspect of my whole 30 will be exercise: I will exercise every wednesday, friday and sunday! No excuses! With bonus marks for any additional yoga and cardio days in between. (right now I'm thinking of doing circuits on wednesday and fridays and intervals on sundays, I think that's reasonable)
    tonight I get to take a little study break, this means exercise, stretching, a healthy dinner and most importantly an early bedtime! My whole 30 technically starts tomorrow since I had cream in my coffee today

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast