Thread: What rendered out of my meatloaf, and how can I use it?? page

elainevdw is offline Senior Member

What rendered out of my meatloaf, and how can I use it??

Shop Now
    So I love this meatloaf recipe from Epicurious, but a lot of... stuff... renders out of it, and I'd like to know what it is and how I can use it. Right now, while it's hot, I baste the meatloaf with it to keep it moist for reheating. I assume the top layer is... beef or pork fat? What's the bottom layer? Can I use this for cooking, like bacon fat or coconut oil or butter?

The meatloaf contains non-lean ground beef, ground pork, and bacon, along with a mirepoix mix sauteed in butter and worsterchire sauce, vinegar, chopped prunes, etc.

~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elainevdw View Post
    So I love this meatloaf recipe from Epicurious, but a lot of... stuff... renders out of it, and I'd like to know what it is and how I can use it. Right now, while it's hot, I baste the meatloaf with it to keep it moist for reheating. I assume the top layer is... beef or pork fat? What's the bottom layer? Can I use this for cooking, like bacon fat or coconut oil or butter?

The meatloaf contains non-lean ground beef, ground pork, and bacon, along with a mirepoix mix sauteed in butter and worsterchire sauce, vinegar, chopped prunes, etc.

Hi Elaine,

The top bit will be a mix of pork lard & beef tallow and the bottom will be kind of like dripping I guess, made from the cooked meat juices. Is it jelly like?

The top layer will be great for cooking things (e.g. frying eggs, saute'ing veggies, mushrooms etc.), especially as it will be flavoured with the spices and such from your meatloaf. The bottom (if it's jelly like) will revert to liquid when heated and would be good as a sauce or salad dressing

This is what I had left after rendering 2kg of beef fat last night, a bowl of crispy beef crackling and a jar and a bit of tallow:

After cooling for a while the tallow looked like this:
    Last edited by Misabi; 01-31-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, thanks Misabi!

I haven't dug into the bottom layer yet, it must be jelly like because it's not a liquid. As a salad dressing, eh? That sounds tasty.

Who knew I had been throwing out tasty cooking fat this entire time. I don't cook bacon often enough to get a lot of bacon grease, but I really like eggs cooked in it... I guess this means I'll have a steady supply of it now since I make this meatloaf around once a month.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Remember those cheesy commercials for Reeses peanut butter cups (maybe you are not old enough since they are from the 1980s), "two great tastes that go great together" or something like that for peanut butter and chocolate? Here's a primal riff on that, weight out 1.5 oz or so of the tallow and take about 3 to 4 oz of beef jerky. Dip the jerky in the tallow and you have a quick meal. It's close to the Native American food pemmican in which the two components would be more thoroughly blended after the jerky was minced into very tiny pieces. I do this a lot with my home made jerky and a store bought grass fed tallow but you could just as readily do it with rendered tallow like you have here. 3 oz of tallow has about 750 calories so be careful with it if you are trying to lose weight. I had about 800 calories of pemmican yesterday for lunch and felt great.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    certainly useable, but make sure you refrigerate, drippings like that can go rancid very quickly

I would use some of the top layer to fry up some onions and other veggies, add in the broth to simmer......Im thinking cabbage, onions, and broc.....YUM
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!