Thread: Niacin & Primal page

Niacin & Primal

Primal Fuel
    Yet another noob here, but some of you may recognize me from the hiking community.

I started Primal 8 days ago and am doing just fine, thank you, but I have a question regarding niacin which I take for cholesterol.

My doc told me 10 years ago about my “high” cholesterol and put me on statins. I mostly felt like crap while on them and figured out quickly they were rat poison. With his blessing, I switched to immediate release niacin (nicotinic acid) and have been on it since 2003. I currently take 4000mg daily and doc is quite happy with my numbers, especially HDL which is at 65.

So, the question is: Will niacin still be “necessary” to keep the HDL number up that high (for me) or will the Primal Lifestyle be enough to do the job? And...how would I know if Primal is doing the job, if I didn't stop the niacin first?

Anyone here take, or used to take niacin that could guide me?
    Last edited by Hoosierdaddy; 01-31-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I actually started taking Niacin while on PB. I was on Lipitor for a short while but got off it when my Total cholesterol was 95. I take it just to rev up my HDL counts. My personal opinion is that you can do what you want - if it works for you, that's what the 20% is about. I also pop about 4000 IU of vitamin D since I live in sun-starveD Northeast Ohio. If you haven't noticed - Mark S. sells a lot of supplements on this web site...
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

While I'd love to see my HDL numbers stay up there, I know that niacin doesn't do that much for LDL's. If sticking to PB alters my numbers enough, I'd like to cut down on the amount of niacin I take...if nothing else because I'm having to monitor my liver function very closely. So far, so good though.

Anyone have other niacin stories? I'd really love to hear them!
    Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
    Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
    Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.