Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage source? page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Sausage source?

Shop Now
    (That's what she said.)

So, I'd love to make some jambalaya/gumbo, but all the sausage I can find around here is TRASH. Anyone have somewhere they order it from? Who's got the good stuff?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Got a local butcher? That's the guy to see.

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    Nope. I live in the middle of god forsaken nowhere.

There's a local brand I had a lot of hope in, but it's full o' MSG and such.

finngirl71 is offline Member
    I'm going to be watching this thread because I'm having a really hard time finding anything remotely healthy for my gumbo. It seems like the smoked sausage always has tons of bad shit in it, not sure why that is. And it has to be smoked... no way you can sub anything else in the gumbo.

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Hey, in fairness, the last time I ordered from this guy I was "pre-primal" but figured it would be worth a shot. Don't know about the ingredients in the sausauge but he sells aligator stuff he ships frozen right to your door. He ships some pretty awesome stuff. . .

Crawfish and Seafood from Louisiana Shipped to Door/Airport

Figured it would be worth a shot, might want to ask about the ingredients in the sausage; they're not listed on the page.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    these ones are not too bad, for chicken sausages Aidells

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You could always learn to make your own sausage. It's really not that difficult even. All the supplies you need can be found online.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    If you want to do it that much, a trip to a Butcher is going to get you that ingredient you need. Mail order?
    Here in the UK, we have many brands close to 100% meat in the supermarket, no filler, no rusk, maybe potato flour, but then you don't know the source of the meat. Having a Butcher mince you some good meat and pack it into a skin is the way to go, pal.

I love Jambalaya and Gumbo! Must make it again ...

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    I second the suggestion of making your own. Start with the ground protein source of your choice, appropriate spices, etc - it's probably the best way to get a healthy and reasonably-priced sausage, provided you have the time and are willing to put in a little work.

I generally don't invest the time to do it myself, but I can definitely see the advantage in doing so, from a cost perspective.

jak757 is offline Member
    A warning about making your own sausage......you may become addicted! It's easy, and you can end up with sausage that is so much better than what you can buy. Fresh bulk sausage is super simple -- if you have a kitchen-aid stand mixer you can buy a grinder attachment and go to town. Also easy to make your own ground beef 9lamb, chicken, turkey, etc.).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast