Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Exercise Routine for Toning and Curves page

  1. #1
    Lev's Avatar
    Lev
    Lev is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4

    Post Exercise Routine for Toning and Curves

    Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

    Iím new to the boards. I am not new to paleo or to this website though. I generally eat paleo, and have done so since about a year ago, though I find that I lose way too much weight on it to the point where I need to supplement with rice/potatoes in my primary meals. I am female - was 117 lbs at 5í6 and now I am 110 pounds (too thin). Right now I am trying to gain weight to get back some curves! So I have been eating much more than usual and more rice/sweet potatoes.

    BUT I would also like to be more toned at the same time. When I gain weight it usually goes to my stomach, and I would like it to go to more appropriate areas! In a word, I want to have some curves Ė I have been at a low weight for my whole life. So, I have signed up for a gym and now I have this routine:

    Gym = 2ce a week, sometimes 3 times, weight exercises, zumba class, yoga. About 1hr and 20 mins for each gym session.
    Home = simple crunches, pushup sets, and a few leg exercises, about 20 mins Ė (any time I donít go to the gym).

    After gym I usually eat lots of meat/protein and drink milk. However, so far (about a month) I have not seen significant progress. Any diet/exercise experts willing to give me some advice on improving this routine???

  2. #2
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,526
    What are your weight exercises? Best bet would be to do starting strength, the PBF or some other progressive program.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  3. #3
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,036
    Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or the PBF.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  4. #4
    Lev's Avatar
    Lev
    Lev is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    What are your weight exercises? Best bet would be to do starting strength, the PBF or some other progressive program.
    I go on weight machines - leg press, leg curl (seated leg extension), outer thigh machines, calf weight, pullups. usually set of 10x 3 times on each (except pullups). I don't really have a lot of time/energy after work for the gym so an hour and 20 mins is about all I can do before getting tired, so I'm not sure if a full on program like PBF is right for me.

  5. #5
    arthurb999's Avatar
    arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RI, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    Strength train should be your main focus 2x a week doing heavy compound movements (barbell squat, bench, dead, overhead presses, dips, pullups, etc). Focus on getting stronger... sets of 5 reps.
    Hill sprints 1x a week
    Yoga 1x a week

  6. #6
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,036
    Ditch the machines. They isolate muscles in ways that normal usage never would. Compound movements with free weights are what work best, especially since the little muscles that the machines don't hit tend to be the muscles that help with smoothing of the figure. ArthurB has the right idea.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  7. #7
    Lev's Avatar
    Lev
    Lev is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Ditch the machines. They isolate muscles in ways that normal usage never would. Compound movements with free weights are what work best, especially since the little muscles that the machines don't hit tend to be the muscles that help with smoothing of the figure. ArthurB has the right idea.
    That makes sense, when I do machines I feel it in an isolated area, but when I do something like squats I feel burn in several areas.

    sets of 5 reps...what does that mean?

  8. #8
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,526
    This is a basic primer outlining the starting strength program. For strength you keep reps lower so each set has 5 reps in it. That does not mean you stop at 5 reps it means you should not be able to do a 6th. If you can manage the 5 reps (3 sets of 5 reps) you increase the weight. It is a good progressive way of working.
    If you are going to do work at home I would follow the PBF for a better balance to your workouts - body-weight work is a lot of fun.

    And a full on program is right for everyone...grin. You just need to focus your time in the gym, strength training really should take between 30min and hour depending on your fitness level. Hardcore gym rats go longer but they are looking to achieve something different.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 01-31-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  9. #9
    Lev's Avatar
    Lev
    Lev is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    This is a basic primer outlining the starting strength program. For strength you keep reps lower so each set has 5 reps in it. That does not mean you stop at 5 reps it means you should not be able to do a 6th. If you can manage the 5 reps (3 sets of 5 reps) you increase the weight. It is a good progressive way of working.
    If you are going to do work at home I would follow the PBF for a better balance to your workouts - body-weight work is a lot of fun.

    And a full on program is right for everyone...grin. You just need to focus your time in the gym, strength training really should take between 30min and hour depending on your fitness level. Hardcore gym rats go longer but they are looking to achieve something different.
    Ok that guy is so intense wow. But yea I think I will do more weight/strength training and focus less on machines even though they are fun haha

  10. #10
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,036
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you want a DIY take on it, pick up the Men's Health Home Workout Bible. Yes, it says "Men's" in the title. That doesn't mean squat. Both genders have the same capabilities, exercise- wise. It's one of the better DIY takes on building your own workout I've seen in quite a while, and does a pretty good job of breaking it up by equipment and beginner to advanced. It's the one I'm using right now.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •