Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The beef with milk (and sunflower oil) page

minty is offline Junior Member

The beef with milk (and sunflower oil)

Shop Now
    About to head down the primal path, and wondering about milk, and dairy in general.

I note that aged cheeses etc seem to be okay, but not fresh milk.

I'm in NZ. We don't automatically pump all our dairy with antibiotics every day. In fact, we get fresh milk each morning straight from the cow; one of six that's hand-raised in a paddock. Any reason why a good banana smoothie can't be primal in this case?

The other thing is that when eating lots of salads, I like to throw in some sun-dried tomatoes, or marinated aubergine. Often these are done in sunflower oil. Is that an issue?

Thanks for any advice you can throw this newbie's way!

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    Milk (especially when completely fresh and raw like you describe) is no problem and all and purely primal, as long as you have no bad responces to it.

The sunflower oil is a problem, it's probably one of the worst things you can put in your body. It should be easy enough to find those things without sunflower oil (saying this as a Dutchy, I realise the problems from country to country).

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Milk is one of those things you don't know if you have a reaction to until you eliminate it. I am very lactose tolerant but until I stopped dring milk, I didn't realize how much it bloated me. Mine wasn't raw, but it was local, organic and non-hemogonized.

As far as the sunflower oil. I wouldn't stress about it in the beginning, but you should be able to find alternatives.

Mv and Apex... thanks! My problem is I'm gonna struggle with breakfast: can't face eggs every morning, but a nice big smoothie with home-made kefir, and berries or bananas... that'll work.

Sunflower oil... we get quite a few lovely products from round the world that can add joy to a salad, but it can be hard to find ones that use virgin olive oil. I'll keep looking

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Most paleo guys are completely fine with people drinking raw milk. It seems really beneficial for the body, even though it's a neolithic kind of food. Dairy seems to become a problem when it's processed (like when it's pasteurized). I can't find any raw milk here (nanny state thinks I can't decide by myself), but I'd drink over a liter a day if I could.

As for sunflower oil, total crap. I suggest looking for sun-dried tomatoes without oil (they are out there, just check the labels) or make your own marinated aubergine in olive oil.

Thanks WBike. My feeling is raw milk has the natural antibodies in it- they're not killed by processing- and so that'll put paid to any other potential nasties in there. To me that goes along with the whole "if you grow carrots yourself, a little dirt on them isn't going to kill you... in fact it's beneficial" as opposed to the "it's been mass-produced and sprayed and fertilised and you'd better wash it". So I'm glad to hear that milk's still okay!

Sunflower oil, though... don't beat around the bush, tell me what you really think! Heh. Looks like I'm seriously hunting down olive oil-based alternatives, or like you suggest, brewing my own...

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Hey Minty, don't suppose you're anywhere near Akl?
    If you are and need any help with the excess milk, feel free to give me a yell

Could trade you some jerky or tallow for it =D
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Hey Minty, don't suppose you're anywhere near Akl? Could trade you some jerky or tallow for it =D
    Heh. Sorry bro, but I'm in Carterton, far closer to Welly. Will be up in Auckland soon for some boardgaming at Battlecry, but I don't think bringing milk with me would work :-P

Moved to Carterton from Melbourne, and fresh cow milk is one of the small town advantages. Tough luck, city-dweller!

someone103 is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm in Christchurch, New Zealand, and want to discuss the nutritional profile of sunflower oil.

I understand based on what Mark and others have posted that sunflower oil is bad because it is so high in polyunsaturated fat. However, looking at the products in NZ which are high in sunflower oil tells a different story. Red Rock potato chips are cooked purely in sunflower oil, but the fat profile is as follows per 100g of chips:

Total fat: 22.5

sat fat: 2.1
    trans fat: 0.1
    polyunsaturated fat: 1.5
    monounsaturated fat:19.0

This simply doesn't add up with everything posted about sunflower oil on this site.

Can anyone in America or somewhere else testify to the properties of sunflower over there being different and, if so, explain or theorize why?

Thanksphoto (9).jpg

Alton is offline Junior Member
    Hello guys,..
    Milk and beef is very good for good health.Both of the more importance in our life.Beef giving us energy
    and milk giving us protein.So i like the beef and milk.Thanks a lot for sharing your opinions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast