Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad observation.... page

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member

Sad observation....

Primal Fuel
    Went to a restaurant.. the parents (who are quite large) sit at one table, the children (that are well on their way to being obese) sit at another because they can not all fit at a table. *sigh*
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I remember when I was a little kid. My mom was very overweight, which was not nearly as common 30-35 years ago. Kids would make fun of me telling me that my mom was fat. Now, almost all the moms I see are fat. I realize, my mom was just a pioneer and was way ahead of her time.

I am not thin by any means (and a mom), but making progress and an effort to reverse it. You just see the trend in observations and realize there is nothing you can do to help them (especially when they are strangers).
    Karin

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I live in a little town of ~ 40,000 where just about everybody is obese/overweight.
    My husband and I try to count the thin adults (kids don't count) when we go grocery shopping. Within an hour of being out and about we've never reached the number 20. We probably see around 200 people within that hour of shopping at different stores...you could say about 80% are too big for their clothes.
    The highest employment in this town is in medical care. No surprise there...

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    Oh, that is sad. Were there two kids? Maybe (hopefully) there were too people to share a table?

2 parents.. 2 kids.. square tables and booths..
    Karin

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It's sad because they are setting up their kids to be disabled. To not fit on a plane, in a movie theater or a restaurant. Or a desk at school or college.

Meegeek is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I were driving to L.A. on I-5 a few years back and we stopped at Denny's to grab a bite (I know, I know....pre-primal). There was a couple with two small boys, maybe 6 & 8 in the next booth. While the parents were in engaged and ignoring the kids, the boys were eating packets of sugar and washing it down with the little containers of creamer. It was surreal, even then, as the parents just ignored them. They were all pretty chunky and god only knows what they ate on a regular basis.
    "When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... you find someone to carry you."

Onward....my primal journal
    2012 Slow Movement Challenge: My distance so far = 665 kM

My Map My Tracks Profile

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if people were really faced with the reality of 'you're setting your kids up for a lifetime of habits that will get them killed' if they would really do something about it. Everyone is all up in arms when a school sends a notice to parents when their kids are obese, or in rare cases like the one who got national attention that a lady's kid was actually taken away from her...... C'mon!

When I was 300 pounds there were restaurants I would avoid because the booths were too small for me to fit into. Or flying was terrible because I knew I was that fat lady taking up more than her fair share of space on a plane. I have a lot of compassion for that, but at the same time, you are the master of your own destiny. Furthermore, when you're a parent, you have to think of your kids too.

I'm continually trying to get healthier - to slowly make positive changes in myself physically AND mentally because I want to live life well, and I want to be the kind of person whose kids ought to take after. I don't ever want my kids to suffer the trauma of those humiliating situations. I want my food issues all under control so that how we eat is just a way of life so that my kids can simply view it as the norm and establish healthy life supporting habits without ever having to worry about 'am I getting too fat?'

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It's sad because they are setting up their kids to be disabled. To not fit on a plane, in a movie theater or a restaurant. Or a desk at school or college.
    Nah. By the time those kids are adults all the infrastructure will have been retrofitted with double-wide seats and Rascal scooters will be parked at the entrance to all major establishments. They'll fit right in.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast