Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 6

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by mixie View Post
    Right, but in a truly wild situation, rabbits and rodents don't eat a whole lot of grain. Certainly they may get some wild grains but they're certainly not eating a concentrated diet of grain-foods the way that commercially fed animals are. What proportion of their diet small critters makes depends entirely on the prey population of their area.
    Oh duh - Sorry, I forgot to specify.
    I was trying to say that dogs do eat plant matter - such as fresh veggies, soft grasses, fruits ect. My dogs even LOVE seaweed - the dry, salty stuff you buy in a bag. I do give them fresh veggie scraps - but I do not give them foods with grains and such in them.

My dogs are fed whole, raw guinea pigs+chicken thighs and canned food(grain free) on alternating days. This way, I'm not completely filling up the freezer with my dogs' food and I have some that can sit in the cupboard without going bad.

I just wish there were large scale prey breeders in California - so I wouldn't have to pay so damn much.

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Holy crackers, no kidding--and you must have the healthiest pooches on the block ;0). Cavies are pricey; just out of curiosity is there a reason you feed them instead of rabbit? I bet the meat is fattier, for one thing.

My dogs don't rob too much from the garden, though they'll strip the plums off the tree if I don't keep an eye on them. They'll also pluck blackberries out of the hedge. I can't say that I've ever seen them eat veggies on purpose, though. They'll definitely take a single green bean as a treat, but even sweet veggies like carrots they mostly just shred if they have a whole one to mess around with. They'll eat grass but only if dinner's late or it's a fast day. As far as I can tell mostly they're going for the sweet stuff.
    I'll have to try them on seaweed--it'd be nice to have something handy besides freeze-dried liver for random treat events ;0)
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Rabbits are much more expensive than cavies in the pet food trade. My dogs' favorite is rabbit, but they're $6 a piece(not including shipping). The cavies are only $1.99 each. They are the same price as rats of equal size.

My two will raid the garden like giant gophers. They love the soft, young grass that pops up - not the course stuff that makes them puke.
    I noticed that if you don't ever give them veggies as pups, they will grow up not wanting them. If you let them eat them as pups, they grow up eating veggies willingly, if not greedily haha

Oh! Well, that makes sense. We get meat rabbits pretty cheap, but I bet snake food bunnies are pricey. You'd think the opposite would be true, seeing that cavies are not exactly prolific breeders and rabbits breed like... well, rabbits ;0).
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Here's my mutt.
    We call her the Abominable Snowdog, but her given name is Pino (named after an anime character.)
    pinosnow..jpg
    Last edited by naiadknight; 02-03-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

hhelenhh is offline Junior Member

Smile Cat pics

Here are a few pics of our cats, as requested. They have all been fed raw for the last 10 years or so. Kitten, all her life, Dani after 1-2 years, and the older cats only as older adults. They all benefited from it though. You can't tell from these pics how solid and muscular they are or how lovely their fur becomes. Now I just need to get the human equivalent going for me.
    Four cats staying toasty on the LR couch: Dani, Livvy, Kitten, Nikki

Kitten loves Cat Food Day

Jim With Livvy & Dani

Kitten in all her (meat-fed) glory

Dani, waiting by the fridge for dinner

hhelenhh is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbecky View Post
    Mixie - can I ask what you get/feed? I have between 3-5 dogs (2 of our 5 puppies need new home) and depending on the season 8-14 cats (in the winter a couple of the primarily outdoor Toms and spayed females tend to stay inside as the weather is cold and the hunting is sparse). I am on a ridiculously limited budget when it comes to food - human or animal - but if I can stretch my food dollars to feed my animals better I would love to do it. Currently the dogs go through a regular non-premium 50lb bag of dog food in a week or less - at a cost of $20 a bag it certainly isn't cheap... the cats - at least in the winter - are going through a $20 25lb bag of food (Commercial, non-premium) in a little over a week. So on average I would say pet food costs over $100/month. In your experience would it be possible to feed my animals on a raw food/real food diet for close to the same cost?
    Hi Fabbecky, our cat food feeds 5 cats (three at our house and 2 of my sons) and we pay about $0.99 per pound for the ingredients. We make food every couple of months. We did just adopt 3 kittens (brothers...bringing us up to feeding 8 cats) and they are eating a lot more than the older cats. (A LOT...they are ravenous! I think they will slow down when they reach their adult weight, they just need more now to develop muscle and bone as they grow) 99 cents per pound does not get you organic food, however. Before we got the kittens, we averaged $100/month on cat food. If you have large dogs, though, they will need proportionately more food, but it shouldn't be all meat, so that will help on costs. Another thing to consider is that you will need fewer vet visits when your animals are fed raw. They just stay healthier....in the same way that the Primal diet is reported to do with us. (I say reported, because I just started) I also think that with a little preventative dental care, you will probably not have gum and tooth issues with raw fed animals. If you go raw, be ready for frisky cats and dogs! --Helen

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hhelenhh View Post
    Hi Fabbecky, our cat food feeds 5 cats (three at our house and 2 of my sons) and we pay about $0.99 per pound for the ingredients. We make food every couple of months. We did just adopt 3 kittens (brothers...bringing us up to feeding 8 cats) and they are eating a lot more than the older cats. (A LOT...they are ravenous! I think they will slow down when they reach their adult weight, they just need more now to develop muscle and bone as they grow) 99 cents per pound does not get you organic food, however. Before we got the kittens, we averaged $100/month on cat food. If you have large dogs, though, they will need proportionately more food, but it shouldn't be all meat, so that will help on costs. Another thing to consider is that you will need fewer vet visits when your animals are fed raw. They just stay healthier....in the same way that the Primal diet is reported to do with us. (I say reported, because I just started) I also think that with a little preventative dental care, you will probably not have gum and tooth issues with raw fed animals. If you go raw, be ready for frisky cats and dogs! --Helen
    Thanks for your input! I am going to research where I can get the best prices on meat and try to start my animals on a raw diet as soon as`I get a job!

Quote Originally Posted by hhelenhh View Post
    Kitten loves Cat Food Day
    Ha! Fantastic ;0)
    Kitten in all her (meat-fed) glory
    They are all beautiful, but this one is GORGEOUS! Look at that coat! Thanks for posting, they're really fantastic =)

paleo pika is offline Member
    Aaaaaughhhh people are so so dumb. How do you adopt a cat and not realize cats are carnivores?

Someone apparently is pissed because they can't put their cat on a vegan diet. This makes me super sad that there are people out there killing their pets with their stupidity.

Do any of your little meat-eating friends want a cat? | PassiveAggressiveNotes.com

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast