Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 24

Hooligan is offline Junior Member
    Hahaha my dog has been primal longer than me!

photo2 - Copy.jpg

Fed Raw since a week after adoption

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Hey friends,

I had to stop feeding my cat raw because she kept throwing up. I think it was a combination of the meat going bad (I guess I didn't refreeze it quickly enough after thawing the frozen chicken necks/backs from Whole Foods) and eating too fast. She stopped eating altogether at one point so I gave up for a while. Now she's 14 lbs (up from 13 last year)! She's very happy, healthy, but just went for a check up and has gingivitis and tartar on her rear molars.

If I give her some raw bones to gnaw on, such as chicken thigh bones, and add a little raw food into her dry food from now on, do you think that will help get rid of the teeth issues? We really cannot afford to get her teeth cleaned at the vet =\
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Do not give any pet chicken bones! they splinter too easy and can cause choking if they swallow the pieces.

Raw bones are perfectly safe for animals to chew on. They do not splinter. They are in fact somewhat bendy.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Chicken bones do split badly. I give my dogs the ends of the bone + cartilage, the dog bites the bone off while I hold it in my hand. And sometimes i have to take parts of the bone back from the dog when I see that it is too sharp. Luckily my dogs would give away their food if I ask for it.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Yes, but bird bones have different structure than cow bones, perhaps something to do with the fact that they have to be lightweight for flying and still be strong.

sidewinder is offline Member
    Hi all. I just adopted a one year old shepherd/hound mix and he is SKIN-NY! He's on Blue Buffalo Wilderness now (who knows what he was getting at the shelter), but he actually lost a little bit of weight in the week since we've had him. We're giving 3 cups/day of the Blue Buffalo (the recommended portion size for a 60lb dog - he's about 55lbs), but the vet is recommending upping that to 4 temporarily to help him gain. That just seems like a LOT of dry food. I don't want to go full raw with him right now, but I feel like adding some raw stuff might be a little easier on his stomach than upping the dry so much. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't see any harm with mixing raw with the dry, or using some grain-free wet food in addition to the dry. Wet food is usually good for gaining. I mix canned food with some raw for my cat. She's overweight, but slowly losing. I am not exclusively raw-feeding her because I want to insure she's getting enough nutrients (so I figure the canned food probably helps as a kind of multi-vitamin).

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Our border collie/lab mix (approx. 55 lbs) will sometimes eat as much as 4 cups per day without any problems. He also has days where he'll only eat 2. We keep food out for him so he determines how much he eats per day.

We also feed the Blue Wilderness grain free.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you want to feed kibble & raw its best to feed separately (ie kibble for breakfast/raw for dinner) since kibble & raw meat digest at different rates so feeding together can cause digestion issues (at least from what I understand)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast