Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 22

Lilith is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think my kitty had the heads-up of the paleo lifestyle before I did. One day he came back into the house with a whole steak in his mouth - someone's BBQ was ruined!

197646_399432283425612_1973356389_n.jpg

The problem with my cat is that he will keep eating if you fed him, he doesn't seem to have an 'off' button. He is a big built cat anyway and I certainly don't overfeed him but he hardly moves! He asks to be let out into the garden and then just sits by the back door, he doesn't go off anywhere

A lot of the cat foods contain a lot of cereal but I've found some that are mainly meat and my cat seems to be more satisfied with this and not pestering me for food as much
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    haha, excellent picture Lilith! From my ~1 week of experience with raw feeding my cat, I'd say that they do have an off switch, but raw food is realy the only way to find it. At least, that's how it is for my cat. She could probably eat kibble for days on end, but over the past week of exclusively raw food, she has started leaving a few pieces of chicken on the plate. I'm accommodating by putting a bit less in the containers that I pre-measure for her (so I have a week's worth, at least, ready in the freezer and fridge) so she doesn't snack needlessly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Maureen M is offline Senior Member
    Okay, well i haven't read through the whole thread yet so maybe this was already answered:
    I have a rescue(they found her in a dumpster) mutt that used to have a VERY extreme case of demodectic mange. It took me 2 years but she's healthy now( some/most of her hair grew back!!)
    I thought putting her on a no grain no corn no soy dry dogfood would make her skin a little better and maybe perk up some hair production....but instead she just got fat reallllllly fast.
    I put her back on beneful and started taking her on walks and she lost weight.....
    Maybe i should try the no grain no corn no soy approach again, but take her on walks? Happened to my sister's dogs too.....maybe their little doggie bodies are so used to grain based food that any other causes an overaccumulation of fat cells? What do y'all think?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Nameless, sounds like your kitty is doing great

Maureen,
    Those dry foods still have nasty unnecessary additives and fillers for pets, even the grain free ones.
    Raw diet is best, raw meaty bones, chicken necks, lamb bones, shanks, some veg can be given, but if raw it needs to be ground finely as dogs can't break down the cellulose. But mainly meat. Can give things like cottage cheese, or egg yolk as well.
    Vaccines and other chemicals can play a part in these type of problems too, but diet is the main one.
    I have heaps more info (I am studying Animal Homeopathy, and am doing my unit on nutrition at the moment), so if you have any more questions you could PM me or post here
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 01-25-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Here is one of my dogs, my chihuahua enjoying her chunk of leg bone:

Notice the shiny coat? She did not have a shiny coat till I took away the dry food.

Skin problems are usually due to zinc deficiencies which can be corrected by giving raw meat, eggs, and liver.

My 10 yr old cat, Fae, has now been about 2 weeks raw-fed. She's doing quite well, still. Today, she ate REALLY fast and vomited. This hasn't happened yet. We fed her a couple hours later than usual, so I wonder if that's what caused her to eat so quickly? I also didn't really break up the food, so she ate it in a couple of large pieces.

I'm not sure if I should try to feed her again now or just wait until tonight. Tonight, I'll break the meat into smaller pieces and feed her a little at a time.

She's not being whiny, so I think she's okay for now.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    I think my kitty had the heads-up of the paleo lifestyle before I did. One day he came back into the house with a whole steak in his mouth - someone's BBQ was ruined!
    197646_399432283425612_1973356389_n.jpg
    I love it. That pic should be in the dictionary right next to the definition of "obligate carnivore".

Maybe she was just really hungry for some reason, smaller pieces might be a good idea for next time

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Maybe she was just really hungry for some reason, smaller pieces might be a good idea for next time
    I fed her in smaller pieces, in a few servings (every 5-10 minutes) for the next meal. She didn't eat a lot. Today, she's been eating fine, but I still broke up her first meal into a few servings to make sure it stays down. I'll make sure to separate the pieces well for tonight's meal, but probably give it to her all at once.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast