Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 21

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by chloesadie View Post
    just to clarify, are you feeding her 3% of 11 pounds? if my calculations are correct, that's 33 ounces. that's way too much! most adult cats (regardless of size) only need about 6 - 8 ounces/day. i feed my younger cat 6 ounces/day and my diabetic (that weighs 10 pounds) gets 6.5 ounces per day.
    Your calculations are not correct. 33 oz is over 2 pounds which is not even close to 3% of 11 pounds. 3% of 11 pounds is a touch over 5 ounces.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    No, 3% of her weight in ounces per day. Assuming I want her to be 11 lbs, that means 5.28 oz per day. I'm going to swipe my mom's digital kitchen scale so I can calculate better.

She doesn't whine after she's eaten everything, so I think she's getting enough now.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

It's only been a few days that I've been doing this, but I didn't have to put any kibble on the chopped chicken thigh meat today! She ate it all within 10 minutes, never leaving the plate. She already seems much more energetic and willing to cuddle. It used to be that she would only cuddle with me, and hesitantly at that (it would take a lot of coaxing). Now she'll cuddle on my boyfriend or me, and it doesn't take much to get her to come over. I was playing with a string last night and her reaction time is much faster as well. She's acting much more like the huntress she's supposed to be, when provoked.

I'm very excited to see what other changes may develop as we continue. I am going to pick up those frozen "pet food" meat packs at Whole Foods today so I don't have to keep cutting up chicken thighs that were supposed to be for us . I'll have to rely on that for now since I can't grind bones. I have some unused fish oil capsules that I will drizzle on her food occasionally, as well, and several weeks of liver meals already frozen, since she only needs those about once a week. I got a digital kitchen scale and my estimates for food amounts have been spot on.

One thing I need to clarify is how much fat she should get. I haven't been trimming it and thighs are pretty fatty.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    that is great
    Don't worry about quantities, my experience with this type of eating over commercial pet foods, is that mine don't over eat. If they empty the bowl and are waiting around I give more.
    I wouldn't overly worry about the fat, just give all the bits Are the frozen pet meats just different types of meat?
    I like to give mine a variety, they do love kangaroo. Also tinned sardines, I just drain off the juice, and they love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    that is great
    Don't worry about quantities, my experience with this type of eating over commercial pet foods, is that mine don't over eat. If they empty the bowl and are waiting around I give more.
    I wouldn't overly worry about the fat, just give all the bits Are the frozen pet meats just different types of meat?
    I like to give mine a variety, they do love kangaroo. Also tinned sardines, I just drain off the juice, and they love them.
    The frozen meat is ground up chicken necks and some other chicken parts. It's labelled as "pet food". I'm not sure if it includes bones, but if it does, that will be a good way to get some into her diet.

The only times I've given her fish, her dander has gotten really flaky after, so I'm avoiding fish for now. I may try human-grade tinned fish at some point though.

oh that is interesting about the fish, was that human quality fish or pet food?
    oh the ground up bone will be good, if you can't get her to chew on a chicken neck, eventually she will once you try a few different things hopefully. The chewing action is what is important, but ground up bone is still good

The fish was pet food. It had some corn in it, not the best ingredients.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    sardines in olive oil are good..... At least according to my dogs.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    sardines in olive oil are good..... At least according to my dogs.
    Yes this is what I use too
    Def try human grade and see how your cat does.

MrT
    MrT is offline Junior Member
    I posted this elsewhere thought the pet owners might be interested.

BBC News - Dog evolved 'on the waste dump'

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast