Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 20

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Teach her to fetch, the weight will be gone in no time
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I can coax her with strings, but she's pretty inactive. She used to be an indoor/outdoor cat, but was still kinda round even when she was outside. She didn't supplement her diet with her catches, though. She left them as really messy gifts.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My poor kitty has gotten FATTER. I switched her to Nature's Variety Instinct (chicken meal, highest protein/lowest carb) kibble from Trader Joe's kibble when we brought her to the apartment last May. Her coat got glossier, the visible dander lessened considerably, and I thought she'd slimmed down a little. She's always been a fairly large-framed cat. She weighed in at 12.5 lbs at the vet in May and we were told that she was perfectly healthy, but a bit fat. They said she should lose the weight slowly, and if she came in at 11 lbs in 2013, that would be good. She's probably well over 13 lbs now, but I don't have a scale to check. She is DEFINITELY visibly fatter than she was in May.

I switched her to Nature's Variety Instinct with Raw bits in it after it didn't seem like she was slimming down anymore (about a month ago). Her coat got REALLY glossy, very soft and no dander at all. I'm feeding her 1/4 cup of food, twice a day, which is the amount written on the package for weight loss at her weight range. She eats each serving within 30 minutes of putting the bowl down now. When it was the regular kibble without the freeze-dried raw bits, she ate each serving fairly slowly, throughout the day/night. She has also started to beg for food much more now (I used to give her chicken juice or raw bits of trimming).

Any suggestions? I can't afford canned food or 100% raw. I could maybe manage a mixture of kibble & canned.

I think I'm going to try her on one of their Limited Ingredient formulas. Maybe she has more sensitivities than I thought, but her coat really thrived on the kibble with the freeze-dried raw pieces.

All curled up. My little fat blob.
    Are you sure chicken necks ect.... wouldn't be the same or cheaper than kibble? also is there a way to get her more active. You said she was indoor outdoor. Can you train her to a leash and walk her? Get her chasing things, walking around the house etc...?

Paleobird Guest
    woman's best freind.jpg

This is my precious Primal Wolf Cub. He was a feral mutt on the streets of a small town in Baja California Mexico when I found him.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    nameless raw is not that expensive, truly.
    Ask for off cuts and stuff like that from the butcher. Chicken necks are also cheap. Its way better for them, I promise.

She WAS indoor/outdoor. Now she's indoor and I cannot change that if I want her to live with me (land lady's stipulation).

We don't have butchers here. Or if we do, I don't know where to find them. Don't they also need liver and stuff? I've looked into raw feeding and honestly find it incredibly confusing. I have no idea how much I'd need to feed her.

I will cut back on the kibble & pick up some chicken necks and livers this week to see if I can manage it in terms of feeding schedule, prep, and cost. I'll probably have to cut it all up, since she usually ignores the larger pieces. I'll have to work her up to that, once she knows she loves this stuff.

I spend about $25 feeding her every month, and that's if the food isn't on sale or I buy something different than usual. I'm right about to run out of kibble, so maybe now is a good time to start experimenting.

Raw Meaty Bones
    this website might help, but there is lots of info I know its hard. But its just like us, eating until they are satisfied. You have to work out what type of meat your cat likes best. Liver and stuff is good, but mine wont eat it. Chicken necks or other things with bones are good when you can get them (i get quail sometimes). You may even be able to buy frozen mice/baby ducks/rabbits etc that your cat would love (whole so with organs and stuff)
    Good luck with it

I fed her some chicken liver last night (one liver, seemed like a good amount, about mouse-sized) with some kibble sprinkled around it. She ate very slowly, first avoiding the liver, then licking t he juice, then eating the pieces. She came back to the plate a few times over the course of an hour to finish it all off. This morning, I cut up some chicken thigh (1/2 a thigh, seemed like about the same amount) and sprinkled less kibble on it. She ate it all before I left for work! Now I just need to get a small kitchen scale so I can make sure I'm feeding her about 3% of her ideal body weight in ounces. The vet said Fae should be at 11 lbs for her next visit (in May) so I'm using that as the goal.

She's super whiny (follows me around, meow a lot, watches me) when I am prepping things in the kitchen. I don't know if she's hungry or just begging.

Prob just begging, cos she has got the taste for the good stuff
    Good luck with the transition.

chloesadie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I fed her some chicken liver last night (one liver, seemed like a good amount, about mouse-sized) with some kibble sprinkled around it. She ate very slowly, first avoiding the liver, then licking t he juice, then eating the pieces. She came back to the plate a few times over the course of an hour to finish it all off. This morning, I cut up some chicken thigh (1/2 a thigh, seemed like about the same amount) and sprinkled less kibble on it. She ate it all before I left for work! Now I just need to get a small kitchen scale so I can make sure I'm feeding her about 3% of her ideal body weight in ounces. The vet said Fae should be at 11 lbs for her next visit (in May) so I'm using that as the goal.

She's super whiny (follows me around, meow a lot, watches me) when I am prepping things in the kitchen. I don't know if she's hungry or just begging.
    i've read through your posts. you definitely need to try to eliminate the kibble. since i have a diabetic, i haven't bought it in years! after switching all 3 of my cats to wet food, all of them slimmed down (it does take time with cats though). the whining is most likely because she's hungry. it takes time for them to adjust. it's just like when we cut out bad carbs...it takes a while until we aren't hungry all the time.

just to clarify, are you feeding her 3% of 11 pounds? if my calculations are correct, that's 33 ounces. that's way too much! most adult cats (regardless of size) only need about 6 - 8 ounces/day. i feed my younger cat 6 ounces/day and my diabetic (that weighs 10 pounds) gets 6.5 ounces per day.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast