Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 2

chelle06 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have a fat pound puppy that is 5 along with 2two other dogs and 3 cats.. We tried the vets " diet" dog food for my fat Ms Daisy and she lost zip! Then I paid for a thyroid test which was normal. She started losing when I switched her to EVO. She is losing and not miserable. Here is the ingredients list
    Turkey
    Chicken
    Chicken Meal
    Turkey Meal
    Peas
    Pea Fiber
    Natural Flavors
    Pumpkin
    Tomatoes
    Herring Oil
    Apples
    Carrots
    Potassium Chloride
    Cottage Cheese
    Dried Chicory Root
    Eggs
    Alfalfa Sprouts
    Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
    L-Carnitine
    Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid)
    Direct Fed Microbials (Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product)

That made much more sense to me than what was in his recommended Science Diet crap.

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Cheers for whole-foods ingredients lists! About once a year I'm in the grocery store and I stop to read and crack up at the "corn meal, corn, corn gluten, corn, chicken digest, bone meal, meat byproduct liquid extract" labels on the crap-o food they park in giant sacks near the door. My very favorite non-food dog-food label: I used to work in a medical facility that housed a large dog colony. A bunch of the dogs were on this specific allergen-free diet which was basically the chemical building blocks of food with some neutral filler. Like vitamin-infused styrofoam. That seems insane to me until I think about all those folks out there drinking nutri-whatever "shakes", or those ads for people-kibble* that shows all the bowls of other kibble you'd need to get your daily RDA.

*Total cereal, etc.
    Last edited by mixie; 01-31-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Most of the calicos I've seen have had the same kind of round tubbiness to them, but maybe it's more about how the fur lies. Fae, the cat in question, lives with another cat, a very slim tiger. Both have similar activity levels and hunt outdoors, and get fed the same dry food. If she lived with me, I could feed her good stuff, but she wouldn't be able to go outdoors (landlady's restriction as fleas have been an issue in the past). I would feel guilty taking her away from that since she's already had so much time outside (she's probably around 9 years old, most of her life has been indoor/outdoor). Since we're limited to one cat and I don't feel like it's fair on my boyfriend to just take Fae since he would really like a kitten. It seems unfair to Fae though, but at least my parents house is warmer hah.

The good thing is she'll eat just about anything, dry or wet, canned fish or fresh mouse. She actually likes drinking milk and seems to tolerate it, though it only ever happens by accident (a glass left out and she will squeeze her head in it to drink what's left). I might "borrow" her for a while and see what I can do with some decent food in her.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I have to share...

This is Rama and Luna. They eat Taste of the Wild dry food, and they love it.
    2011-10-31_14-06-09&.jpg

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The suspense is killing me!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i feel as tho there are too many cats here, so i'm butting in with a tiny puff ball

beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My dog is currently on a prescription dog food from the vet. This stupid food is 59% carbohydrate! I hate it. My dog had to have surgery for recurrent bloat episodes and the biopsies look like he has a food allergy. I have tried all kinds of food choices over the course of year and a half for this dog with no luck. This prescription version actually helps him, but it is such garbage and so expensive My dog actually wakes up in the middle of the night starving if I don't give him a snack before bed on this food - I know it is because of all the carbohydrate.

I'm really hoping that once his guts settle down I can transition him to anything more appropriate. At least it is grain free
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Wufs!

“Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mixie View Post
    Wufs!

Great pic - and dog!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Tealia is offline Senior Member

Zindi gets Orijen dry cat food. 80% meat, 20% fruits and veggies, 0% grain.

Once we switched her, vomiting dropped off immensely. Poops are also smaller and cleaner. Her fur is in better shape, less dandruff too.

Sister's cat gets generic food since she doesn't want to drop the extra money. Her cat suffers from chronic constipation, which resulted in an $800 vet bill when she started failing to poop at all. Yikes!
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast