Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 19

jaczor is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is my baby, Manolito, he's an english bulldog and he's 5 years old. He's recently lost weight with a CW diet, hehehe, he used to weigh 72lbs and now he's at a healthy 55lbs. He really enjoys my new paleo lifestyle because he gets some leftover treats almost every day.

Attached Images Attached Images

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    ""Healthy whole grains" and processed food can flip right off"

lmao

chloesadie is offline Junior Member
    I'm new here and being the pet lover that I am, this thread immediately caught my eye. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and have extensively researched nutrition. This was fueled by my siamese being diagnosed with diabetes 3 years ago and my parents boxers (3 of them) dying of cancer.

My cats eat only canned food (all dry food has too many carbs for a cat and leads to diabetes....i learned this the hard way). Both of my cats eat EVO and love it. In fact, I did raw with my diabetic and she actually does better on the EVO. The benefits of feeding canned cat food only are tremendous. Primarily, my diabetic's blood sugar is under control. I test her daily and she still requires a low dose of insulin but nothing compared to what she used to. Also, my other cat is a long-haired cat and his fur is so soft and he has so much energy (I guess low-carb benefits humans and animals alike). Another benefit is a virtually clean litter box! Since cutting out dry food 3 years ago, the litter box gets scooped once a week as opposed to once/day.

My dogs eat a raw diet also. They eat Stella and Chewy's. I highly recommend it. I switch between the duck and the venison. I supplement their diet with raw/meaty bones. Both of my dogs are small so I get small marrow bones or duck necks (and cut them in half for them). This really helps clean their teeth, keep their breath fresh and keeps them occupied.

Here are some pics....

IMG_2077.jpgthomas.jpgmaggie.jpg

Notch is offline Junior Member
    Clem went primal after he had a stomach problem. he had been on canned cat food since he had almost died from a urinary tract blockage.

my vet, a wonderful gal that did volunteer work for the animal rescue i trapped for had some stern words. she had been practicing since 1961. they NEVER saw tract blockage until dry cat food became readily available and aggressively marketed. she insisted that just about any wet food was better than any dry food, especially for males, and there is little reason not to believe her as her experience in both her medical practice and her teaching puts most other vets just shy of the "head up their ass" category.

sadly she passed away a few years ago, big loss to the local animal community.

clem got sick and off we went to a new vet, "he needs to get on a new diet... this 40 dollar bag or one similar"

rice, fruit, grains, them came the meat... the ingredient list looked like a box of hamburger helper... and thats when i thought... "why am i primal but feed my kitty stupid?"

he has been primal for two years now and the change was as dramatic as the ones i went through. more energy, WAY softer fur, and he acts like he is 3 or 4...

and its SOOO simple, but just like when we go primal it is easy to over think. he gets chicken that has been gently boiled, occasionally mixed with a little tuna or salmon, and he loves it. the chicken doesn't cost any more than canned food and MUCH LESS than any science diet or prescription crap.

it made such a great difference in his life it is really amazing.

dont make it harder than it has to be... raw is fun and trendy, but makes for its own problems... storage, how long it keeps, the mess at the eating area... with the chicken cooked lightly, if he doesn't eat his whole meal i dont feel strange about letting the remainder sit in his bowl until later when he decides to go back fer another bite to eat!Clem.jpg
    Last edited by Notch; 01-11-2013 at 06:10 AM.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    our labradoodle bella. she eats whats leftover from my wife and I's dinner most of the time. Supplemented by some beneful every so often (maybe 1 time a week)

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    My dogs have been eating raw meaty bones (lamb offcuts, quail, whole chicken carcass, or beef bones) plus leftover meat and veg from us. Cats eat meat chunks, minced kangaroo, sardines, and the occasional quail.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    When we adopted our cocker spaniel in 2011 our new holistic vet. recommended we feed him a raw diet, and not to vaccinate again for at least 5 years! Thus we immediately began feeding chicken thighs as that is what he would eat. He was pretty particular to chicken. At the same time I began feeding bits of meat to our 12 year old cat. I had been supplementing his dry food with raw smelts occasionally. He was also still out hunting and would bring in a mouse or small rabbit (ugh) some nights. It took the cat from April until December to decide to eat a fully raw diet. He did not want to eat any bones but would happily eat meat. Currently at 15 or 16 years of age he can eat a chicken leg bone leaving just bits. He prefers to eat just the meat but I make sure he has some bone. We have never been able to transition him to twice a day feeding so he eats regularly throughout the day. If not he drives us crazy complaining if we are home. I guess we are easily trained. I also occasionally supplement the chicken with fish, and rabbits mostly. Neither like organ meats although they will on rare occasion eat a little liver, a smidge of tripe. Both like eggs, the cocker enjoys sweet potato or pumpkin on occasion. The cocker regularly "grazes" on grass and greens in our yard.

Both are in awesome health. I wish I could do more variety but our budget doesn't allow too much. As treats I'll buy ox tail and some goat when it's available but it's over $5 a pound at the asian market. Our dog also enjoys beef soup bones from the asian market. His teeth are pristine. I think I'll start looking for other sources for more variety.

This is a very economical way to feed our pets for a variety of reasons one I think we figured it out to cost less than the dog food we bought for our last cocker spaniel and two we have not been to the veterinarian in 18 months for the cat and 20 months for the dog. I'll bring them both in for a check up soon but neither needs to go for health reasons. This is a far cry from the 3-4 or more times a year I used to bring our pets in to our old non holistic veterinarian when they were on "healthy" kibble.
    the cats hair that had been dry and thin is now glossy. The cocker has not has a single ear problem which are the plague of cocker spaniels and his hair is the shiniest of any cocker spaniel I have ever owned, he's my sixth.

If you are considering raw it's actually very easy and can be very fuss free. Our vet. was great explaining that we did not need to worry about a "daily" balanced meal plan and that looking over weeks or months was fine.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Wow sorry that was long.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Check out my little legend, Bella the Golden Retriever.

Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My poor kitty has gotten FATTER. I switched her to Nature's Variety Instinct (chicken meal, highest protein/lowest carb) kibble from Trader Joe's kibble when we brought her to the apartment last May. Her coat got glossier, the visible dander lessened considerably, and I thought she'd slimmed down a little. She's always been a fairly large-framed cat. She weighed in at 12.5 lbs at the vet in May and we were told that she was perfectly healthy, but a bit fat. They said she should lose the weight slowly, and if she came in at 11 lbs in 2013, that would be good. She's probably well over 13 lbs now, but I don't have a scale to check. She is DEFINITELY visibly fatter than she was in May.

I switched her to Nature's Variety Instinct with Raw bits in it after it didn't seem like she was slimming down anymore (about a month ago). Her coat got REALLY glossy, very soft and no dander at all. I'm feeding her 1/4 cup of food, twice a day, which is the amount written on the package for weight loss at her weight range. She eats each serving within 30 minutes of putting the bowl down now. When it was the regular kibble without the freeze-dried raw bits, she ate each serving fairly slowly, throughout the day/night. She has also started to beg for food much more now (I used to give her chicken juice or raw bits of trimming).

Any suggestions? I can't afford canned food or 100% raw. I could maybe manage a mixture of kibble & canned.

I think I'm going to try her on one of their Limited Ingredient formulas. Maybe she has more sensitivities than I thought, but her coat really thrived on the kibble with the freeze-dried raw pieces.

All curled up. My little fat blob.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast