Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 16

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, I have a pet bird, not a dog or a cat. My poor bird is obese now and I think possibly even getting diabetes because I'm always catching her either eating or drinking.

I have tried my best to put her on a diet to no avail. It turns out the problem I have with my bird is that we don't lock our birds up (we have two big birds) so they are free to raid each other's food. My bird spends all her time eating the other bird's nuts and seeds and our other bird raids my bird's fruit!

I tried locking my bird up in her cage but she fits through some of the bars. So this weekend we plugged up the places she can fit through the bars and she's on a prison diet now. She's on lock-down. She now has access only to her own food.

The trouble with birds is it is hard to know what a species-appropriate diet is. There's not a lot of research into what every species of bird eats. I found pictures of wild Aratinga acuticaudatas eating mangos. Were they raiding a mango farm or were these in their natural habitat? What else besides fruit should they eat? What about her highly specialized-looking sharp and pointy beak? What is that needle-sharp tip for? Tearing flesh from carrion? Opening some kind of special nut or seed? I wish I knew.

Anyway, I'm hoping her prison diet will help shrink her fat blobs for now.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    popped in for the pictures i dont have any primal pets...yet!

keep the pictures coming! you all have very adorable animals

intreker05 is offline Junior Member
    Hey,
    So, I'm popping back in on a more professional note. In my "free time" and in the "real world" I'm actually a freelance author and journalist. I'm interested in writing and publishing a book on primal eating for dogs and I'd love it if I could send a couple of you guys some interview questions for some content in my book. Specifically, I'm looking for before and after stories of people who switched to a primal diet, or anecdotal evidence from people who have been feeding their animals primal for quite some time. If you're interested, please send me a PM. I have just four or five simple questions and I'm willing to either cite your answers in the book or to keep your answers anonymous, however you wish. Thanks so much for your time.
    I'm also hoping to get some answers from some dog food companies about their use of grains and carb-heavy foods so we'll see if that actually happens.
    Oh, and my name is Patrie Davis and I do have a website here if you want to check me out and see if I'm legitimate or not. Thanks so much for all the help in advance. Let's see if we can make the primal movement bigger than it already is!
    "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." ~ H.D. Thoreau

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Hey all, I could use some tips on feeding my cat. Currently, she lives with another cat & a dog at my parents' house and they don't have the time or energy to feed her a grain-free diet, or a proper amount at proper times. She was 13 lb at her check-in last year when I got her shots updated and she's due for a couple annual shots this visit as well. I am pretty sure she is heavier than she was last year, at this point. I do not live at my parents house and I am thinking of (money willing) taking her to see if I can get her a bit trimmer. It was very sad seeing her struggling up the stairs when I was there the other day

Foods I'm looking at, because raw is out of the question budget/time-wise right now
    -EVO
    -Blue Buffalo
    -Before Grain

Questions I have:
    -Wet or dry or both? She will eat either, but currently eats dry except on special occasions (or when my mom runs out and has to pop open a can of tuna)
    -How long should I make the transition from her regular Trader Joe's dry food to 100% grain-free food? I know I should not switch her over cold turkey to avoid digestive issues, and I can take some food from my mom's supply to supplement the transition, but I'm not sure how long I should be mixing and how slowly I should be increasing/decreasing each type of food.
    -I plan on feeding her 2x daily instead of leaving dry food out all day, which is what's being done now. Is this an okay plan even if I give her grain-free dry food? I think she's pretty used to nibbling all day, but will eat wet food in one go.
    -How much food should I give her for wet or dry?

This will all help me figure out how much it will cost to feed her every month and determine if I can make this work. Thank you!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sidewinder is offline Member
    Each of those dry foods should have recommended serving sizes based on the weight of the cat. You can probably find the info online but if not, it's on the packaging for sure. As far as the transition, I've always allowed a couple weeks to fully switch. Doing a couple days each of 75/25 old/new, 50/50 old/new and 75/25 old/new. I've never had any serious digestion issues making the transition that way.

For point of reference, I feed my 2 8lb girls EVO, almost exclusively dry (one gets wet on occasion, the other refuses it). A large bag of EVO costs me about $46 and lasts me at LEAST 2 months. I'm finding they don't eat the full recommended serving so I'm trying to cut back how much I give them at a meal. I'm tired of throwing food away.

something4me is offline Member
    We just took our cat to the vet for a checkup last week. He is eight years old and weighs 14.1 lbs. We have been feeding him dry grain-free food for several months with no weight loss. The vet said we should feed him only wet food with the least amount of carbs and fillers. It's too soon to see if he is losing weight. I thought the grain-free would help, but not for him.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    We have two cats, one younger and very active, the other a bit older and under the delusion that she has servants.

I've been feeding them dry Blue Wilderness and they absolutely love it. Actually, the neighbor tomcat has decided we have a better selection than at HIS home and I've had to put the fear of Rita in him so he doesn't eat it all. So... the flavor is definitely good.

Anyway, we leave the dry Blue Wilderness out all day, then feed them a small amount of either tuna in water or a grain-free canned cat food once or twice a day. The wet food is mostly because the older cat doesn't really drink much water.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i have a quick question re; raw foods

how many times a week should i give my guys liver? (chicken, turkey. beef? pig?) they like it, i like that they like it, but i don't know how often they should get that without getting vit A poisoning or something
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    For point of reference, I feed my 2 8lb girls EVO, almost exclusively dry (one gets wet on occasion, the other refuses it). A large bag of EVO costs me about $46 and lasts me at LEAST 2 months. I'm finding they don't eat the full recommended serving so I'm trying to cut back how much I give them at a meal. I'm tired of throwing food away.
    That cost is promising! I couldn't find the serving size info and bag sizes (just weights) online so was having trouble figuring out how long a bag of dry might last us. $46 for even one month would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by something4me View Post
    We just took our cat to the vet for a checkup last week. He is eight years old and weighs 14.1 lbs. We have been feeding him dry grain-free food for several months with no weight loss. The vet said we should feed him only wet food with the least amount of carbs and fillers. It's too soon to see if he is losing weight. I thought the grain-free would help, but not for him.
    I forgot to mention the cat in question is around 9 yrs old. She is fairly inactive, but is an indoor/outdoor cat and will hunt. If I bring her to my apartment, she has to remain indoors. I'm also worried about what you mentioned, that dry food might not help, but I guess it'll take some experimenting to see if it's just a portion control issue or if just eliminating grains helps. She was not this fat when we got her around 1.5 yrs old!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    OK I have just started reading this thread, but it could take me a while, so ill ask my questions first.
    Cats - someone mentioned sardines, but is tuna OK too? Also red meat, what else should I give her? She is currently eating Felidae dry food. I imagine transitioning her would be hard.
    My dogs eat Candidae (both these are grain free), and would happily eat meat, but they need veg too yes? Would coconut oil or raw egg be good for them as well?

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast