Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal pet chatter =) page 13

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Possible, except he is a 23 pound dog and from what I have read larger bones (femur etc) can cause tooth breakage. Perhaps there is a way to flavor his antler so he chews on that more. I'll have to look around. Thanks for the response
    I like neck bones for longer chewing experiences. Soup/femur bones are very dense and if he's a dedicated chewer can wear down his teeth eventually. The idea is generally that if they're getting softer bones routinely, the need for heavy-duty extended chewing sessions drops dramatically. I am very grateful to the prey model raw diet for the total lack of a destructive chewing stage when my pupster was teething!
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    Lately my dogs have been dragging back random bones from our "forest" (20acres of our timber, plus 60 acres of DEC land). Sometime I can identify, sometimes I can't... always interesting when I come up on one of the 20lb pups with the hind quarter of a deer...
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Letting your dog run free and unsupervised in the forest(or anywhere) is a good way to lose 'em.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Letting your dog run free and unsupervised in the forest(or anywhere) is a good way to lose 'em.
    Yeah, my dog would be off god knows where. The little ninja tries to escape every opportunity he gets. The last time I had to chase him 4 blocks and only caught him because he stopped to say hi to another dog.

I've given Louie (or Loucifer as I like to call him) some pork ribs and some chicken over the last few days. He gobbled the heck out of it once he figured out what he was supposed to do. He gave me that "Oh, a bone. I chew this up I suppose..." look before going all primal on them.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    My dogs are in for a big treat tonight - hitting the Amish meat market and picking up a big load of giant cow bones. Maybe they will leave the rest of the things in the house alone for a little while...
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

intreker05 is offline Junior Member
    Looking for some primal pet advice.
    So, my girlfriend and I have a lab/cocker spaniel/beagle mix. He's a stray boy. We found him on the side of the road a year ago when he was about a year old and we have no medical knowledge prior to a year ago but because of his behavior, we strongly believe that he was abused. We did the normal human thing, bought him some yummy kibble and thought we were doing well by him, but once every so often, he vomits for no reason. We switched him to a chicken based food, believing that he was allergic to beef and needed something more sensitive on his stomach. So, this morning, he pukes up everything he's eaten about two hours after breakfast. Enough is enough and I want to make the switch to primal but I don't really know what to expect or how to do it. I've read some articles and I think I'm going to start with chicken because of the possibility of a beef allergy and I think we're going to start him on about a pound of meat and bones a day (he weights about 30lbs) is there anything else I need to know or be aware of in order to make this a smooth transition and to get him all the nutrition that he needs to be a healthy, fun-loving pup for some time to come? Thanks for the help.
    "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." ~ H.D. Thoreau

OlyDogo is offline Junior Member
    He will get the runs for a bit until he gets use to it---common with any change in diet on dogs.

10% organ meat IS A MUST.

I fast my dogs at least once per week ALSO very important, wild dogs and wolves DO NOT eat every day and it is a very important aspect of their health and well being.

Measuring quantities is UNIMPORTANT go by the looks and energy level ---I like to see the shade of the last three ribs no spine and lean mean muscle mass with HIGH energy level (bouncing off walls)--- DO NOT LISTEN WHEN A VET or person tells you your dog is to lean--- if they do THEY HAVE NO CLUE what a dog is suppose to look and act like, I have FIRED Vets because of this.

--- On a side note---- I have a dog that is allergic to chicken but is good with beef and any other meat---
    "If it is againts the law for a man to fend for himself ---then outlaw I am"

OlyDogo is offline Junior Member
    189849_10150432726900023_876975022_17603016_6666396_n.jpg192162_10150432734855023_876975022_17603104_6876861_o.jpg242105_10150569614255023_876975022_18323017_8238921_o.jpg

First few are of Sillyboy he is a VERY strong swimmer.
    IL1.jpg
    L2.JPG
    Second Picture is of Luna, one of the most athletic animals come out of my yard---she will out work any dog no matter how hot its outside---her work ethics are incrediable.

That in my opinion is how a dog should look like, its obvius a nice tuck in the stomack, and good lean muscle with energy to boot--- I have a few more pictures to show.
    Last edited by OlyDogo; 03-15-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Adding pixs
    "If it is againts the law for a man to fend for himself ---then outlaw I am"

Tigger is offline Member
    Growing up we lived across the street from a creek. Our cat regularly brought home rabbits, mice, and mocking birds that mocked too closely to her claws. If our front porch went too long without an "offering," my dad would buy her raw kidney. I think she lived to around 20. No vet visits either as far as I can remember.

intreker05 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OlyDogo View Post
    He will get the runs for a bit until he gets use to it---common with any change in diet on dogs.

10% organ meat IS A MUST.

I fast my dogs at least once per week ALSO very important, wild dogs and wolves DO NOT eat every day and it is a very important aspect of their health and well being.

Measuring quantities is UNIMPORTANT go by the looks and energy level ---I like to see the shade of the last three ribs no spine and lean mean muscle mass with HIGH energy level (bouncing off walls)--- DO NOT LISTEN WHEN A VET or person tells you your dog is to lean--- if they do THEY HAVE NO CLUE what a dog is suppose to look and act like, I have FIRED Vets because of this.

--- On a side note---- I have a dog that is allergic to chicken but is good with beef and any other meat---
    Thanks for the advice. Right now we went out and got some Chicken thighs but I'll try to get my hands on some organ meat. The biggest problem is that we're pretty new to this town and don't know butchers, co-ops, farmers, hunters and other places that we can go to get meat, but we're learning. He did really well with the chicken and cracked the bones with ease after a couple tries and seemed to enjoy it, so much so that he was looking for more, which he's never done before on kibble.
    "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." ~ H.D. Thoreau

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast