Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you feeding your carnivore? page 2

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    started feeding our cats grain free food about 3 months ago. havent noticed any difference at all

MonsterAlice is offline Member
    Why buy dead mice when you can grow your own and let the cat have the fun of playing with a live mouse? If you put the mouse in the bathtub, there is less chance it will escape under some furniture, but even if it does escape, that's what the cat id for.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterAlice View Post
    Why buy dead mice when you can grow your own and let the cat have the fun of playing with a live mouse? If you put the mouse in the bathtub, there is less chance it will escape under some furniture, but even if it does escape, that's what the cat id for.
    Crickets are safer to feed live in a bathtub, or at least less likely to become a serious house problem . I tried catching mice live in a 5 gallon bucket (to move out of our garden, not to feed the cats), which they promptly jumped out of. I somehow don't think they would stay in a tub unless it is really deep.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cline View Post
    The problem I have is we adopted one cat who came to us with health problems (kidney issues) and he's on fancy vet food for his problems. I think it's made him fat (15.5 lb). But he came to us fat. He was on steroids for a while, too. We got him off the steroids, but he's still tubby.

The other cat I adopted developed diabetes. She's not overweight (8-9 lbs) and is now no longer dependent on insulin shots. But now the vet has her on a special diabetes formula. She's healthy.

I would LOVE to get them off fancy vet foods but worry about their other health issues. Have any of you had any experiences with pet chronic disease and diet? When I ask, vets (CW) always say regular old meat is an insufficient diet for cats b/c in the wild they eat lots of other things and the things they eat eat other things, etc. (BTW, third cat is a great weight and healthy as a horse so he can eat anything).
    You are unlikely to get any food advice from a traditional vet other then the labeled vet foods in their office. They just don't have the training or research to back up any other recommendations.

You can hunt around for a more homeopathic vet in the area, many recommend raw or more natural diets and have personal experience treating health conditions with foods other then the ones with the easy label system. (I worked for vets for 10 yrs plus, as much as I like my old vet friends, there just is NO nutritional training or research for them other then what is provided by the food companies. Just like your pet vaccines, the vaccine companies produce the research and the schedule, and the vets follow it....there is rarely anything independent in the industry).

You can browse some of the raw feeding forums or natural foods forums for pets and see what you can glean there. Just like any forum, there are some people that are aggressive or purists on there, so you just have to weed through it and try and make a decision as best you can. I know a lot of people have treated/improved diabetic and kidney failure cats through raw diet. Usually with kidney failure you get the standard 'they need less protein', but I am not sure how that works when so many raw fed cats do fine with kidney issues on it. Kidney cats do benefit from more fluids...so a wet food or raw diet is a huge bonus.

Something to research I would say, and definitely see if you can find a knowledgeable vet in your area. There is a shift in the industry, I was surprised how many homeopathic type vets are out there now and how many support/recommend raw diets.

Westly is offline Senior Member
    I feed my cat face grain free dry cat food, along with gran free wet cat food (Today's menu, duck), and supplement it with the bits I cut off of my meats (For the cat...) She really, really likes chopped up chicken and fish. Not too keen on organ meats, and beef.
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

cline is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    You are unlikely to get any food advice from a traditional vet other then the labeled vet foods in their office. They just don't have the training or research to back up any other recommendations.

You can hunt around for a more homeopathic vet in the area, .
    Thanks! I probably will. Now that we've gone primal/paleo-ish, I wonder about my kitties all the time. I know their lives are longer for living w me so I can administer meds, etc. (they are rescue kitties), but I wonder if their medical conditions wouldn't improve with better food. I might just poke around on the web tonight.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The other day I saw an advert for Vegan cat food (evolution brand...)
    It made me angry.

Now I realize they make dog food too...

Vegan Cat Food - Vegan Dog Food - Vegan Animal Products - VeganCats.com

People are freaking NUTS.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Shanster is offline Senior Member
    Check out these sites - they provide great info on raw feeding, feline diabetes/ibs etc along with great cat nutrition info Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes and cat nutrition - home

Interesting thing is that some of the grocery store wet foods are not so bad with real meat and no grains... gotta read the sites above and read cat food labels...

We feed one cat raw due to some health issues - ibs - cleared up instantly with raw. Because of the sites above and what I read, began feeding Fancy Feast without beef or fish (some cats have reactions to beef and/or fish - see above sites) to our other cats. (raw is cost prohibitive to me with 5 kit-tehs)

Google HareToday-GoneTomorrow - they have ground whole rabbits, chickens, turkeys etc.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    My kitty has been eating a brand of frozen raw food called Primal for years. She also eats a little turkey breast (it's like crack to her, lol!). Once in awhile she gets canned food if we happen to run out of her food and the store that we get it from is closed, but nearly every time she eats canned (grain-free or not) she starts doing a wheezy cough thing, which is why I switched her to raw in the first place. I think she has an allergy.

She also eats bunnies, chipmunks, lizards and the occasional bird.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ASmallOne View Post
    I don't have a cat, but one issue I've heard of with feeding cats a meat diet (which the of course need) is ensuring that there is supplementation with taurine. I'm sorry that I don't know more about why this is or how much, but I'd google it if I were you, as it could be an issue for the kitty's health!
    (I do love kitties but hub's allergies do not).
    Meat contains taurine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast