Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unforgiving high GI fruit cravings - am I doin it wrong? page

Unforgiving high GI fruit cravings - am I doin it wrong?

Primal Fuel
    hi again!

I've noticed that I have these really intense cravings for the higher GI fruits like oranges and grapes. I do not partake in the grape but the oranges are nearly impossible. They are locally grown and really impossible. I have been eating 80%-ish primal since June and thought by now the sweet tooth would be gone. Even the lower GI fruits call my name - especially local strawberries. I indulge every day in fruit as I feel this need to eat something sweet after I've had something fatty or salty. Is this remaining insulin insanity? Could it really be this long and drawn out? Since June I have had some failures. I mean, Christmas and Thanksgiving and the Mardi Gras king cake season and ugh but they were very few and far between. But I don't get cravings for traditional sweets and breads it's just fruit and it's unrelenting. Does this go away? I know it's hampering weight loss but on the good side it does nothing to curb my insane energy.
    thanks!
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Have you tried cutting out sugar (including fruit) for some time (say a month) and seeing if that goes away? Every time you eat sugar, you are just feeding the cravings and they will come back. It could also indicate a yeast overgrowth in your system, in which case you REALLY need to cut out all sugar in order to kill off the yeast.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

mmapags is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Have you tried cutting out sugar (including fruit) for some time (say a month) and seeing if that goes away? Every time you eat sugar, you are just feeding the cravings and they will come back. It could also indicate a yeast overgrowth in your system, in which case you REALLY need to cut out all sugar in order to kill off the yeast.
    What nameless said! As long as you feed the monster, you'll have the cravings. You don't have to hold back on the low GI ones. That's the whole idea. Meats, fish, fats, nuts, seed and lot's of colorful vegetables and fruit. The higher the GI the more glucose then insulin will be produced and the cravings will continue. Take 'em all out for awhile, then feel free with the lower GI ones in moderation.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    A bit of advice from what I've learned:

A "sugar craving" isn't actually a craving for "sugar". What it really is is a craving for carbohydrate. Your body wants glucose - not fructose - but it can't crave starch because it's essentially flavorless, so it craves the most simple, essential flavor - sugar. If you're only listening to your tongue, you'll reach for something sweet when your body will be just as happy with starch since it's the carbs it actually wants.

What I recommend is next time you have a sugar craving - and this is important - eat white rice or white potatoes. And it's very important you use either of these two. Don't use sweet potatoes because they still taste sweet. Don't reach for fruit. But don't ignore the sugar craving and try to tough it out. White potatoes and white rice are two of the purest forms of glucose available and contain virtually zero sugar. Killing your carb cravings with pure, sugarless starch will eventually get you off the "sugar" addiction. From there, it will be much easier to kill the carbohydrate addiction since it won't manifest as an intense craving for sweetness. It's very important that you do not ignore the crab cravings and feed them with white rice or white potatoes in order to get over sugar first. Just don't eat a lot. A cup of cooked white rice or a medium white potato is all you probably need, which will still make it very easy to keep it under 100g of carbs a day.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-31-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i've come around to thinking that the fruit fear is almost totally overblown. don't be scared of oranges! or bananas! if you eat them at a meal, use them to replace something you otherwise would have had. i think people run into trouble when they simply start snacking on fruit, or eat it in addition to everything else they had planned. if you work it into the meal, i don't think it's a problem.

my evolving take on this primal thing...
    Last edited by jakey; 01-31-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: a missing 'y'

Einz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i've come around to thinking that the fruit fear is almost totally overblown. don't be scared of oranges! or bananas! if you eat them at a meal, use them to replace something you otherwise would have had. i think people run into trouble when they simply start snacking on fruit, or eat it in addition to everything else they had planned. if you work it into the meal, i don't think it's a problem.

my evolving take on this primal thing...
    You are 100% right dude. People should be eating as much fruit as they can, along with healthy meats and veggies, good oils. Some of us here get tired of they people who are afraid of fruit. It is just another obsession to eating that is not healthy.

EAT YOUR FRUIT

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    ^Yeah, it's not a made up thing. Sugar is an issue. I have a yeast overgrowth and have to avoid sugar as much as possible to kill it off. I can't speak for cravings personally because I tend to crave fatty things, and I've always had a "sweet tooth", and I think it's unlikely that I've always had a yeast overgrowth, but who knows.

I'm not denying that some people get a bit fruit-phobic, but it is sugar, and some people do go overboard with it. Since the OP said she feels it's hampering weight loss, I assumed she was eating it to excess.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Korga is offline Member
    Could be you are craving the Potassium!

I am eating it to excess haha (I say as I finish an apple) I just thought I could be on a vicious cycle.

I think this may be more psychological than anything. Hey and I didn't know that fruitophobia was common here. Good to know.
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    A bit of advice from what I've learned:

A "sugar craving" isn't actually a craving for "sugar". What it really is is a craving for carbohydrate. Your body wants glucose - not fructose - but it can't crave starch because it's essentially flavorless, so it craves the most simple, essential flavor - sugar. If you're only listening to your tongue, you'll reach for something sweet when your body will be just as happy with starch since it's the carbs it actually wants.

What I recommend is next time you have a sugar craving - and this is important - eat white rice or white potatoes. And it's very important you use either of these two. Don't use sweet potatoes because they still taste sweet. Don't reach for fruit. But don't ignore the sugar craving and try to tough it out. White potatoes and white rice are two of the purest forms of glucose available and contain virtually zero sugar. Killing your carb cravings with pure, sugarless starch will eventually get you off the "sugar" addiction. From there, it will be much easier to kill the carbohydrate addiction since it won't manifest as an intense craving for sweetness. It's very important that you do not ignore the crab cravings and feed them with white rice or white potatoes in order to get over sugar first. Just don't eat a lot. A cup of cooked white rice or a medium white potato is all you probably need, which will still make it very easy to keep it under 100g of carbs a day.
    This is very true.
    Last summer I was a fruitaholic, buying baskets full of different fruits to last a month (yet I ate them all within a week).
    When fall hit, and the fruit disappeared, I did not want to feed the long distance, out of state fruit monster. I bought a couple green apples from WA state and added white rice to my diet. The fruit cravings have completely stopped. On top of the milk craving. (No milk atm either since the goats are pregnant).

I just noticed the 2 oranges I have sitting in my fridge, I totally forgot all about them.
    So it's true, you up your glucose and down goes your fructose cravings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast