Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unforgiving high GI fruit cravings - am I doin it wrong? page 2

I think I'm actually going to do that. I love fruit but my consumption of it is interfering with some fat trimmage I think. Maybe wild rice would be better? Instead of white rice?
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootbaby View Post
    I think I'm actually going to do that. I love fruit but my consumption of it is interfering with some fat trimmage I think. Maybe wild rice would be better? Instead of white rice?
    Wild rice is high in anti-nutrients. It makes no sense to me to use starch as a source of nutrition. All of it is low-nutrient. It is a source of glucose to me, nothing more, so the nutrition profile is meaningless to me. I care about the anti-nutrient profile, and white rice blows wild rice out of the water. It's pretty much the cleanest starch you can eat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    I third the idea of adding some rice to tame the sugar monster based on my own experience. I cut out all grains and sugar per the Primal protocol and started getting uncontrollable sugar cravings the likes of which I would imagine only a drug or alcohol addict would experience. I tried everything. More fruit, more fat, coconut this or that until I finally gave in and just gorged on the dark chocolate. The result was simply more fat gain and worsening sugar cravings. Then I started eating a cup of white rice here and there (but not everyday) and I noticed that my sugar cravings and ravenous hunger went away significantly. I think some of us just don't do well on very low carb and need to have a little bit of starch. Listen to Choco, the dude has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to these things.

I don't know much about the candida issue but if the fruit cravings are not something you had before and coincide with the elimination of grains when you started PB, I'd try adding a bit of rice or potato and if the problem is not better after a week or two, might be worth looking into it.
    Last edited by Fiji; 01-31-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree about adding the white rice.

Starch and fructose are processed very differently by the body and some individuals tolerate fructose better than others. Starch is much better for you on so many levels. If you want to optimise your blood sugar regulation, liver function and glycogen loading in your muscles, replace all fruit in your diet with vegetables or safe starch. It will also help increase muscle gain when carb-refeeding post-workout and improve quality of sleep. Focus starch intake on post-workout and evening meals.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

La Carnera is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    A bit of advice from what I've learned:

A "sugar craving" isn't actually a craving for "sugar". What it really is is a craving for carbohydrate. Your body wants glucose - not fructose - but it can't crave starch because it's essentially flavorless, so it craves the most simple, essential flavor - sugar. If you're only listening to your tongue, you'll reach for something sweet when your body will be just as happy with starch since it's the carbs it actually wants.

What I recommend is next time you have a sugar craving - and this is important - eat white rice or white potatoes. And it's very important you use either of these two. Don't use sweet potatoes because they still taste sweet. Don't reach for fruit. But don't ignore the sugar craving and try to tough it out. White potatoes and white rice are two of the purest forms of glucose available and contain virtually zero sugar. Killing your carb cravings with pure, sugarless starch will eventually get you off the "sugar" addiction. From there, it will be much easier to kill the carbohydrate addiction since it won't manifest as an intense craving for sweetness. It's very important that you do not ignore the crab cravings and feed them with white rice or white potatoes in order to get over sugar first. Just don't eat a lot. A cup of cooked white rice or a medium white potato is all you probably need, which will still make it very easy to keep it under 100g of carbs a day.

Thank you so much. It makes all the sense in what concerns to my case!

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Didn't know about the potato or rice method for sugar cravings.
    Good info.
    Fruit was something that I ate a lot of when I ditched processed sugar, but I found that it would bloat me up, and give me horrible gas. Also, it would never satisfy my hunger. I could eat it for hours and never feel full.
    Since I cut the fruit out and started getting my carbs from vegetables, and a post-workout sweet potato on training days, my sugar cravings have decreased dramatically.
    I read (page 57 of the book "sweet potato power") that fruit was natures way of allowing man to increase fat stores for the winter. It was ripe in the summer and early fall months, and it would be eaten to excess in order for man to store enough fat to get through the lean winter months.
    Interesting.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like it is in season so go for it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

La Carnera is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Fruit was something that I ate a lot of when I ditched processed sugar, but I found that it would bloat me up, and give me horrible gas. Also, it would never satisfy my hunger. I could eat it for hours and never feel full.
    Exactly this! I'm about to cut it drastically (two pieces maximum per day) and see if my hunger becomes more stable and easily saciable.

Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    fruit was natures way of allowing man to increase fat stores for the winter. It was ripe in the summer and early fall months, and it would be eaten to excess in order for man to store enough fat to get through the lean winter months.
    Interesting.
    Interesting indeed!
    Though I wouldn't say "Nature supports" the survival of any living being. In other words, maybe the trees needed the help of other animals to spread their seeds...
    Last edited by La Carnera; 11-12-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: punctuation

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Good thread. I'm willing to try white rice in lieu of fruit for a while and see if that makes any difference in body comp/weight.
    I just don't understand how is rice okay to have on the PB. Last time I checked it was a grain and I'm pretty sure it's GMO-ed. I'm kinda confused on that one.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The point of primal is to establish a way of life that you can easily maintain for the rest of your life... do you really see yourself being okay with eating white rice instead of a couple strawberries forever? I'd say just eat a bit of fruit... if it makes you feel bad, stop, but don't fear it based just on its name... Once you've cut all the crap out of your diet, like the added sugars and refined grains and gross oils, I think your body is pretty in tune with what it wants. Oranges are much more than just balls of fructose yanno...cravings are designed to get us to eat things. Sure, SAD eating messes with our taste buds, but sooner or later we have to trust our bodies again. I suppose there are circumstances where limiting sugar as much as possible is required, i.e. yeast overgrowth... but for me, I have to know that I can eat fruit when I desire fruit in order to be happy. I like white potatoes as much as the next guy, and I'm sure replacing fruit with starch is a good idea if you're really overdoing the fruit, but I think a few pieces a day (I'm an apple lover myself, known to eat as many as I can get my hands on, up to 3-4 a day sometimes) is fine, perfectly healthy, perfectly primal... I feel a lot better eating a good bit of fruit than I feel denying harmless fruit cravings all day. Unless you have a real reason to avoid fruit, I don't think it's bad to eat it in moderation...

EDIT: I agree with the above poster, also... I can't see why people would advise adding a refined grain to your diet instead of eating the fruit...strawberries have vitamin C and a bunch of other nutrients you'd lose by just eating a bunch of white rice...ick
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 11-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast