Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Pick My Fat Self Up & Start All Over Again page 8

PrimalPotter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Happy News Today. I sent my daily blood glucose fasting levels since last Friday (which are still twice what they should be, but are slowly trending down) and a list of what I eat/don't eat to my doctor. She's so impressed by my food choices & the improvement I've made in 3 months, she wants me to go another 3 months doing the same things (with the agreement that the fasting levels cannot go UP) to see if we can avoid medications completely. Wasn't even my idea!

Last week I finally broke up with my Beer. We had one last fling for old time's sake, but I felt compelled to explain that our relationship isn't healthy for me. I must move on. We're having a trial separation. I'm pretty sad about it all, but I've started seeing other liquids. Like Water & Iced Tea. They're not nearly as fun as Beer was, of course, but Beer never gave a rat's ass about my blood hemoglobin A1C.

Good weather forecasted for this weekend. Kayak, here I come!!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    So glad you are seeing positive results. And positive they must be if that was the doctor's response. I have seen my BP drop from 190s/90s in August 2011 to a regular morning reading of 110-115/68-75. It's very pleasing and a big reward for the work and self denial. My resting pulse has dropped to from 75-80 to 50-60 - where it used to be until I was about 35.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Good news about your blood stuff. And about Beer, too, I guess. Some relationships just aren't meant to be.

Today as an experiment, I decided to fast from all carbs...I got the idea from one of Mark's posts. Since I'm diabetic, fasting may be too hard on me. I dunno. Anyway, I'm eating protein, just no carbs for one day, to see what it does to to my blood glucose level. Tested after lunch & my level had dropped like a rock, right down into the normal range. Very good. I'll wait a few days, then try some 100% IF for one meal to see if I can do that without my levels going up. The diabetes nurse gave me dire warnings about the dangers of fasting and going into "starvation mode", which I'm pretty sure is all wrong. She's dealing with people who are on a SAD & still trying to eat bread & pasta and have never heard of low carb eating beyond Atkins. Which we all know is unhealthy because of all that meat and fat.

This past week I decided I can't ride my old hybrid bicycle, anymore. The bike just doesn't fit me, never has despite all the tweaks i've done over the years, and it's dumb to put any more money into a machine which hurts me when I ride it. I did some research online, made a list of bikes, and got to testing. I decided, after testing a number of bikes, to go against CW and get a mountain bike, even though I'll rarely go off pavement. Why? Because the geometry seems to fit me better, those fat tires soak up the jarring from those pothole-strewn streets we have here in Seattle, an MTB can handle my still-substantial weight, plus the second I jumped onto the bike my body said, "Aaaaahhhh..yes! This is my bike!"

I've noticed that my blood glucose levels drop substantially when I exercise, too. Last Thursday I checked out a new walking area. Quite lovely, close to Lk Washington. There was a structure there, couldn't tell you it's purpose, but I used it to practice moving like Grok, squatting and crab-walking underneath it (at various heights). Came upon a good kids play area, too, where I could do some upper body strengthening. After my walk I headed down to the lake, came upon a group (gaggle?) of geese, protecting several goslings. The little birds, still with their baby fluff and little short legs, learning to feed like the adults. So cute! And pooping everywhere, which is a problem in an urban area.

Happy May! I'm still completely obsessed with my new bicycle. I'm like Peewee Herman in "Peewee's Big Adventure". If Peewee were diabetic.

My blood glucose levels are mostly in the normal range, now...except for the fasting level (right out of bed). There are reasons why the bgL often spikes in the a.m., so I'm not too concerned. I've noticed eating a snack right before bed helps. I've been having 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1/4 cup blueberries. If I eat more than that I have a spike. It's all kind of mysterious. I was worried that the 1/2 & 1/2 in my tea might cause me problems, but it seems OK. Had a small baked red potato last night with dinner. Spike! So, we won't be doing that again for a while. Same with watermelon. I love it but the sugar sends my bgL for the stars unless I eat the tiniest wedge...pffft what's the point? It's like "light" beer. I think my levels have fallen into the mostly normal ranges tbecause I've been really watching my portions, weighing & measuring so that I know exactly how much I'm eating. It's boring, but necessary.

I did that carb fast the other day which was a good thing, actually. Despite Nurse Ratchett's dire warnings of going into "starvation mode", I want to try some limited IF, to see what happens to my levels. I think skipping a meal here & there may be quite beneficial. I realized last night that I probably need to be eating more carbs than I have been, my weight loss slowed down. Had a bas & the lbs started dropping off again.

Watching the weather today. Rain is coming. (In Seattle??? What are the odds?) Hoping it stays up in the clouds long enough for me to get in a quick bike ride after work. I can do it in the rain, but it won't be as pleasant.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You are doing so well... keep going with what works!

Thanks, Mud Flinger. It's nice to know somebody out there is reading my rambles.

I started to IF last night...was going to skip dinner. But after my bike ride I was really hungry, so I had a MAS (medium ass salad). I made it up a hill I didn't think I could do, given my current physical condition. I huffed and puffed and grunted and said...I...can...do...this....huffpuffhuffpuffhuff puff...MADE IT! Phwee. My version of a sprint, since I can't actually sprint, yet.

Yeaterday it poured rain, so kitty and I were kind of lazy. Reading, napping, listening to the rain. I am the world's worst housekeeper. Seriously. I hate doing any kind of domestic chores. Cooking was my greatest Primal challenge, but i must be Primal, therefore the grok pot is my best friend.

I had a small mountain of laundry piled up. Got up, sorted it into two big bags, then piled it all onto my little old lady cart and headed off to the laundromat. I like walking to the laundry. Part of it is a steep downhill...so coming back is a good heart-pumping uphill. Plus I'm pushing 40 lbs of laundry. I will be making more frequent trips as time goes by because I am shrinking out of my clothing. I figure in six more months absolutely nothing but my shoes and socks will fit me any longer. I'll be forced to hit the laundry more often because I won't have as many clothes.

I ordered some slicks for the new mountain bike to make riding on pavement easier. It won't actually be easier. I'll be putting in the same effort, just able to go farther with tires which have less rolling resistance.

My back pain is mostly gone, now, because of walking and riding and working out with the Praxis. I bought two more resistance tubes so that I don't have to change loops between exercises, which makes for a smoother and faster workout. It all fits in the little bag nicely. The other day I was at Costco buying eggs and cat litter when I saw they had some cat trees. About 6 inches taller than me. Only two left. The tree I bought my cat two years ago is half as tall and completely shredded. First I muscled the tree into the cart. Then I had to muscle it out of the cart and into the car. Then I had to muscle it out of the car and carry it to my tiny apt.. No stairs, thank goodness. oh, it was raining so I couldn't set it down on the ground or it would have gotten muddy. After hauling it in I realized I could not have done it four months ago...all that lifting and toting. I'd be in bed with an ice pack and a bottle of ibuprofen...or something stronger. Except for when i bump into something (im dead clumsy) and give my back a good tweak, I dont even notice it, anymore. This is pretty miraculous, because a few years ago i had a back spasm so painful, I thought my heart would stop. My back has been vulnerable in that spot ever since. The doctor assures me that it's all soft tissue (and some arthritis. Not a bad disc or anything). The cat LOVES her new tree, BTW.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can so identify with this as that is exactkly the sort of back pain I suffered (touch wood it is all in the past). I once had it spasm just by turning around with a piece of paper in my hand - 3 days off work in bed and on 2 sticks!

Since getting so much stronger with Primal it has not happened, although I get the odd twinge in the morning - I know I need a new bed as mine is a tad saggy.

It's so nice not to be in pain all the time! I hope the cat appreciated your efforts - our six feline felons disdain cat trees and prefer the furniture (SIGH).
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast