Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor brainless sheep like society... page

lolawolf is offline Member

Poor brainless sheep like society...

The reason I say this is because the majority of modern society believes that "fat is bad" and that's all there is to it right? But even when I wasn't eating primal, I knew something was wrong there.

What brought this up was the fact that I was looking up how to transition my son from formula to milk, doesn't matter to me if it's cow's milk or goat's milk or whatever, if I had been able to breastfeed, he'd be drinking THAT til he's around 24 months but we don't have that luxury =(

Anyway, I'm reading about how other moms transitioned their kids and one post stuck out more than any of the others - "Also, I no it is healthier to drink skim or low fat milk, but a baby your daughters age needs the fat found in whole milk, formula is full of fat"

So what I'm wondering is, why in the hell do these people believe low fat is "healthier"?! My son has had to have formula because I couldn't produce enough breast milk, BUT formula and breast milk are both full of fat, yes, AND neither of them have made my son a fatty baby. Actually, he's REALLY lean and muscular.You should see his delts!!

Anyway, just more of a nutrition rant, I guess but my point is, if full and LOTS of fat is great for a growing miracle of life, why would it be bad for an adult version of the same species? Do you see what I'm getting at here?

My son, eating nothing but mostly fruits, protein, fats, moderate fruit is athletic looking and he's only 9 months old, while I see adults who eat low fat everything but are still overweight. It just makes me giggle.

He is SO strong and healthy and he eats SO freaking much!!! he's healthier than I am!! lol my full fat baby has significantly less body fat than I do, so I made the choice a while ago to go primal and it has been delicious. I love fat. Avocados are the best.

I just kinda wish people wouldn't give fat such a bad rap. I mean, it's not the fat that made them fat, is it?

Sorry if I seem like a bitch or anything else bad =/ I just wondered if anyone else thinks about these kinda of things lol
    Heaviest - 4/28/11 - 190
    - 1/12 - 171.4
    - 07/12 - 160&got pregnant!
    - 11/12 - 150ish
    Losing fat but gaining baby? WOO!
    Goal - healthy, happy baby and happy mama!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, even the doctors are sheeple. I have been to a GP and an acupuncturist lately. I have unexplained weight gain and they both said I should eat less. Oh and do some exercise. I had just finished telling both that I spent 20 years eating less and failing to lose any weight and then managed to lose significant weight eating a low carb diet. Didn't seem to hear me. My cholesterol was high and the practice nurse said to cut saturated fat (since I refused to go on a statin). It's like swimming in surf, the waves of CW bash against you constantly and sometimes it just wears you out. Feeling fed up actually. Must be so much harder when kids are involved though - I feel for you.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    My friend at work keeps asking me how to get rid of her belly. I keep telling her she needs to eat more fat, but it's like she pretends I didn't say it and proceeds to ask a different question instead of facing that one.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I keep telling her she needs to eat more fat, but it's like she pretends I didn't say it and proceeds to ask a different question instead of facing that one.
    Actually- if she eats fats and keeps the grains and sugar, she is going to get fatter.

I think a BIG reason why Primal works is the increase in veggies, focus on whole, real foods and the ban on sugar and grains. Not somuch eating huge amounts of fat. Eliminating grains and sugar leaves a pretty big calorie void that fats can fill - and literally in a filling way. But I don't think most people can eat unlimited fats and lose weight.

It seems like a lot of people eat enormous amounts of fat and while I see Primal allowing more fat, I'm not so sure that you know, eating scads of butter, coconut oil etc. in complete excess is a real good idea. It runs the risk of becoming a fad where people just eat fat and butter, miss the message of veggies and quality protein and become unhealthy.

So I'd be telling people I eat fruits, veggies, quality animal proteins and good fats. Not just "eat more fat"... but eat more fruits, veggies and good proteins too.

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Actually- if she eats fats and keeps the grains and sugar, she is going to get fatter.

I think a BIG reason why Primal works is the increase in veggies, focus on whole, real foods and the ban on sugar and grains. Not somuch eating huge amounts of fat. Eliminating grains and sugar leaves a pretty big calorie void that fats can fill - and literally in a filling way. But I don't think most people can eat unlimited fats and lose weight.

It seems like a lot of people eat enormous amounts of fat and while I see Primal allowing more fat, I'm not so sure that you know, eating scads of butter, coconut oil etc. in complete excess is a real good idea. It runs the risk of becoming a fad where people just eat fat and butter, miss the message of veggies and quality protein and become unhealthy.

So I'd be telling people I eat fruits, veggies, quality animal proteins and good fats. Not just "eat more fat"... but eat more fruits, veggies and good proteins too.
    +1

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I was a kid when the whole fat-free craze started. Part of it was the whole Ancel Keys lie about dietary cholesterol and saturated fats causing heart disease. Also, the powers that be decided that telling people to cut fat was the best way to get us to cut calories since fat has the highest number of calories per gram of any macro-nutrient. This seemed to backfire big time. People latched on to the fat-free message and decided that it was ok to eat whatever they wanted as long as it didn't have fat. We turned into a nation of bloated carb junkies. Fat-free and low-fat snacks and prepared foods flooded the market. People got fatter and fatter all the while being confused since they weren't eating any fat.

I contrast that to my early childhood. Sure, there were overweight people, a few obese people, but it was rare to see morbidly obese people. Now I can count at least a couple dozen people I know that are in that category. Back then, a proper meal was a piece of meat, a small serving of starch like a potato or a little scoop of rice, and veggies (usually topped with butter). If you'd asked my grandma what made you fat, she'd have said sweets and snacking between meals. She'd also tell you to eat your liver and try to give you a spoonful of fish oil.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Angry post warning.

I f*cking hate this condescension of calling people who don't agree with you "brainless sheep". It's so friggin' holier-than-thou. Instead of insulting people who haven't learned what you've learned why not show a little patience and compassion? Human society has it in its best interest for individuals to trust each other, yes, something akin to herd mentality. It's gotten us this far. For a lot of things that works. When things are wrong with that it takes time to change the way of thinking. It's got mass and it's got momentum. Anyway, the primal/paleo-whatever mindset is gaining in huge leaps and bounds recently. You know what probably 98% of people here did before they learned about primal/paleo? The standard 'merrikan diet. Then they learned this mindset and diet plan. It feels extremely hypocritical to rant about people (ugh, "sheeple") who are doing exactly what you were doing a year or two or five ago because they haven't kept up with you.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, doctors are sheep, too. Way back about 15 years ago, I was having some GI issues. Tests showed nothing, but I found that limiting fat eliminated my symptoms, so my gastro told me just to eat low fat. About that time, I gave up grains and discovered that it was the combination of grains/fat that was the problem. Eliminating grains, I could eat fat with no problems (moderate--I don't eat high fat). But when I told my gastro this 'discovery' (hoping it might help his other patients), he refused to believe me. He said that it made no sense from a medical perspective--i.e., what he learned in medical school! So I stay grain free and healthy--and conventional medicine remains mired in the Dark Ages.

reflex is offline Member
    We are ALL sheep in some ways. Remember that doctors are trained to diagnose and treat disease. Period. Doctors aren't nutritionists.

Some allopathic (MD) doctors (usually primary care doctors) will self-educate about nutrition, because they start to realize that they are basically trying to "undo" damage done by poor eating habits. Sometimes.

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You may want to check out this study:

Low-fat, schmo-fat. Only the calories count - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com

Notwithstanding that I agree we should feed children food as close to the earth as possible (meaning minimally processed), there is a big difference between the nutritional requirements of a child (growing and active) and those of an adult (grown and inactive).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast