Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor brainless sheep like society... page 2

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    I'll be honest, when I see a thread titled "Poor Brainless Sheep..." on a primal board, the last thing I expect to read is about a kid being fed formula.

We are all sheeple, in our own ways...not really cool with the whole looking-down-on-others thing...but maybe that's just me...

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    lolawolf, common sense, unfortunately, is not very common! Logic does seem to say that if fat is good for little people, then why not for big people too. I am always, to us a much overworked expression, just gobsmacked by the blinkered approach and vision of doctors and dieticians.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think we're actually closer to lemmings than sheep. I mean, a long time ago I learned that birth defects can happen to the third generation. In other words, you can be affected by something your grandmother did. Well, when I was a child, diabetes was really uncommon and mostly something you got in childhood. Eventually I heard a lot about what was called "Adult Onset Diabetes". Seemed really common in the boomer generation. Now it's called Type II diabetes because children are getting it. There are lots of studies where the first generation is exposed to a bad substance, the 2nd generation is somewhat affected with birth defects or other problems, then the third or fourth is unable to reproduce. So now we have what used to be an adult disease happening in children. We have Low T commercials on TV. We have PCOS. Infertility treatments are common. So many problems with our hormones. How much you wanna bet the young people being born now find it very difficult to get pregnant 25 years from now? How much you wanna bet their children will find it almost impossible? A freakin' farmer could see something was up if he saw this sort of progression happening in his cattle or pigs but we can't see it in the human population? I'm not going to call people who can't see this trend sheeple or whatever. I wouldn't even expect anyone to link it to something as mundane as sugar and industrial seed oils. The first thought would be cancer-causing chemicals or GMO or something scary-sounding, not stuff associated with happiness and health. But you'd think university professors or doctors or SOMEBODY with brains would notice what is happening to us and figure it out.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Pigevil is offline Member
    sbhikes, great post.

I grew up in South America. I never heard of most of the diseases we have nowadays in industrialized countries. There was one person with diabetes I knew and she had it since birth (Type I) and that was a big deal. But even when I talk to my family and others who still live in South America now, they still tell me they do not have the epidemic of chronic diseases and infertility that exists here (though it is creeping up due to changes to a more industrialized/processed diet and sedentary lifestyle).
    Here, it is common now for people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s to have immune diseases, diabetes, thyroid problems, cancers, etc. And so much infertility. I mean there are people in South America who are having children naturally in their late 30s and even early 40s. Where I grew up, due to lack of birth control, there were women I knew that had healthy children into their early 40s. Now I see people in the early 30s and sometimes even in their 20s having problems with fertility.
    But when I talk to people and point that there seems to be a trend in the rise of chronic diseases and infertility in humans which we did not have before, they just say, oh it is part of getting older and there is nothing we can do about it. They are content to be given a pill (or pills) and live with diseases of "old age." If having diabetes, PCOS, immune diseases, thyroid problems, GERD, IBS, and various forms of arthritis, among others, is part of getting older when people are in their 20s and 30s, then humans must be devolving.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think we're actually closer to lemmings than sheep.
    Lemmings don't actually commit suicide when they have a population issues. That was filmed by someone who forced the situation and edited the footage to get what he wanted.

I think people are quite similar to sheep. Many people feel they don't need to learn things for themselves, because other people will learn/know and be able to take care of them (doctors, scientists, government, ect. ect.)

Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    You may want to check out this study:

Low-fat, schmo-fat. Only the calories count - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com

Notwithstanding that I agree we should feed children food as close to the earth as possible (meaning minimally processed), there is a big difference between the nutritional requirements of a child (growing and active) and those of an adult (grown and inactive).
    Oh hey guys! Been floating around but not posting. Anyway, I had to laugh at this because I've been fighting with some jackass "cardiologist" in the comments area all day for that article. Thought you'd enjoy it if you go look. I eventually had to give up, I don't have anymore time to devote to getting into the ins and outs of the drugs he was discussing. Still. Absolutely hilarious.

Devilbass is offline Junior Member
    I definitely agree with a few people around here that have a problem with the apparent condescension of calling others sheep or sheeple.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration that is felt due to the "unenlightened" masses that surround us every day, but really, aren't we all unenlightened? You and I may know more about diet and nutrition than most of people do, but I bet you take the mechanics word on the condition of your car after an accident, or an astronomer's word on how far the moon is away from the earth, or your grand mother's word on how to cook a perfect turkey. Just because you're listening to someone about a topic they supposedly know more about than you, does not make you some sort of human/ungulate hybrid. The same can be said for most people's understanding of health and nutrition. Thy learn about it from doctor's and the media, we can only work at changing the current paradigm, and hope that the work pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Angry post warning.

I f*cking hate this condescension of calling people who don't agree with you "brainless sheep". It's so friggin' holier-than-thou. Instead of insulting people who haven't learned what you've learned why not show a little patience and compassion? Human society has it in its best interest for individuals to trust each other, yes, something akin to herd mentality. It's gotten us this far. For a lot of things that works. When things are wrong with that it takes time to change the way of thinking. It's got mass and it's got momentum. Anyway, the primal/paleo-whatever mindset is gaining in huge leaps and bounds recently. You know what probably 98% of people here did before they learned about primal/paleo? The standard 'merrikan diet. Then they learned this mindset and diet plan. It feels extremely hypocritical to rant about people (ugh, "sheeple") who are doing exactly what you were doing a year or two or five ago because they haven't kept up with you.
    Totally agree. In a way we could all be considered sheep for following the dietary advice we follow.
    We all pick and choose and have our biases to some extent, it always pays to be humble. No one is totally infallible.
    Last edited by J_walking_jonny; 02-01-2012 at 03:23 AM.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I keep telling her she needs to eat more fat, but it's like she pretends I didn't say it and proceeds to ask a different question instead of facing that one.
    You are not giving her the full advice. She also needs to stop eating grains and sugars. Not just toss more butter in her toast. This is not "eat fat" diet. This is the cut the grains and sugars and eat whole foods diet, and not worry about fat. If you happen to be eating SAD with more fat thrown in, you are not eating Primally- you are eating Southern....

I'd ignore you too if you told me to eat more fat.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think we're actually closer to lemmings than sheep. I mean, a long time ago I learned that birth defects can happen to the third generation. In other words, you can be affected by something your grandmother did. Well, when I was a child, diabetes was really uncommon and mostly something you got in childhood. Eventually I heard a lot about what was called "Adult Onset Diabetes". Seemed really common in the boomer generation. Now it's called Type II diabetes because children are getting it. There are lots of studies where the first generation is exposed to a bad substance, the 2nd generation is somewhat affected with birth defects or other problems, then the third or fourth is unable to reproduce. So now we have what used to be an adult disease happening in children. We have Low T commercials on TV. We have PCOS. Infertility treatments are common. So many problems with our hormones. How much you wanna bet the young people being born now find it very difficult to get pregnant 25 years from now? How much you wanna bet their children will find it almost impossible? A freakin' farmer could see something was up if he saw this sort of progression happening in his cattle or pigs but we can't see it in the human population? I'm not going to call people who can't see this trend sheeple or whatever. I wouldn't even expect anyone to link it to something as mundane as sugar and industrial seed oils. The first thought would be cancer-causing chemicals or GMO or something scary-sounding, not stuff associated with happiness and health. But you'd think university professors or doctors or SOMEBODY with brains would notice what is happening to us and figure it out.
    Children getting type 2 diabetes has everything to do with their diet NOW and not what their parents or grandparents ate. Please find me an active kid that isn't obese with type 2 diabetes. I don't think even one exists. As for fertility drugs being more prevalent now; I think that has more to do with people lacking patience than an actual issue. They talk about infertility in the Bible...this isn't some new phenomenon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast