Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat fasting page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Fat fasting

Primal Fuel
    Lately I've changed my routine. I was doing a BAB high in protein for a long time and decided to change to just a bulletproof coffee and usually another coffee a few hours later with some half-and-half (from the cart downstairs at work.) The first coffee is decaf and the 2nd one usually isn't, or it's half decaf. I'll break my "fast" sometime between 11 and 2 with some canned fish usually. I've been thinking of this to myself as almost like a fast, but not really a fast. A fat fast, I guess. Anyway, it seems to have really positive effects. I feel really good, clear and focused, not hungry. I can exercise quite strenuously without feeling hungry before I eat any solid food. I feel like I have more strength and energy for exercise. It may be possible that I've finally broken my stall, too, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm wondering if there's anything to this. Have I stumbled on something that has a name? Is it a technique used for anything? I came about this by accident and have been pretty happy with it ever since.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Interesting.

I've tried something similar, eating a piece of primal fudge made with coconut oil and raw cocoa instead of my usual high protein omelette for breakfast a couple of days a week (to save time in the morning). It's a similar number of calories I reckon.

I've not noticed any associated difference in appetite afterwards, which surprised me as I expected I would miss all that protein. I can't say it's had a huge positive effect, apart from the convenience factor, plus it's been a great vehicle for upping my coconut oil intake, as I find it doesn't work flavourwise in most of my dishes.

My yellow/green colour perception became a lot sharper within a week of eating this oil (I scoffed down at least 250 g). I had a bit of shock when some buttons on a top that I had seen as yellow before suddenly leapt out as being lime green! I expect I was deficient in lauric acid before as I'm pescatarian.

Would you say your intake of coconut oil has gone up as consequence of this new regime of yours? Perhaps it's most beneficial eaten in the morning or before exercise.

Sorry - I'm assuming your first bullet-proof is with coconut oil rather than heavy cream.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-31-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I actually make it with about a teaspoon of coconut oil and a little less than 2 tablespoons of ghee. I also have started adding a small chunk of melted baking chocolate (no sugar) because it seems to make the oil stay in suspension better without interfering with the bitterness of the coffee. Before these coffees, coconut oil was not allowed in my household because my BF can't stand the smell and thinks coconut oil is going to kill him.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I actually make it with about a teaspoon of coconut oil and a little less than 2 tablespoons of ghee. I also have started adding a small chunk of melted baking chocolate (no sugar) because it seems to make the oil stay in suspension better without interfering with the bitterness of the coffee. Before these coffees, coconut oil was not allowed in my household because my BF can't stand the smell and thinks coconut oil is going to kill him.
    This sounds like a very good strategy prior to morning exercise, for stimulating fat-burning metabolism. As you are eating high fat, I expect your body may not consider the bulletproof coffee a breakfast at all. How soon after the bulletproof coffee do you exercise?
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-31-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typos
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I have the coffee around 7am and my exercise class is at noon. The class is one hour. On days I go hiking I start hiking around 10AM. I might have an electrolyte drink and perhaps a few nuts or no food until I get home sometime in the mid-afternoon.

Honestly, I feel the same kind of energy, strength and alertness or clarity that I was getting the days I was doing an IF. On those days I did not eat anything after breakfast until the next day. I would start to feel really clear and energetic in the afternoon through evening, then feel a little hungry around bedtime and by the next morning I felt really super clear and much less hungry than when I went to bed, but then I would break my fast. It's as if I moved my breakfast-to-breakfast fast to a dinner-to-lunch fast, except that a coffee full of ghee, olive oil and bakers chocolate isn't really a fast. It just feels the same.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    The guy who created BP coffee recently did a post where he coined "Bullet-Proof Fasting" which sounds like what you're doing

Poppyg1rl is offline Junior Member

Fasting...

Hi,
    I'm a complete novice to all of this, I live in London and was diagnosed with agressive Rheumatoid Arthritis 2 years ago. Im on a combination of Methotrexate (chemotherapy) anti TNF drug Eternacept, and morphine among others for pain relief.
    I spoke to my general practitioner this morning at my weekly blood checks who reccomended this site and the primal diet.
    In the past I've noticed that if I fast (and by fast I mean water only) for 24 hours the following day my symptoms do seem to ease. It was this that prompted my GP to mention Marks daily apple. I thought I'd give it a try, I'm desperate enough to try anything to stop the pain, i have 60 joints affected and a blood inflammation level of 97. I am hopeful that the diet will try to limit the sheer amount of joint damage and bone degredation that this disease causes. Thanks for reading this extremely long winded post! I will endeavour to let you know if there is any improvement in a month or so.
    Regards Poppy X
    love and light - grá agus solas

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppyg1rl View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a complete novice to all of this, I live in London and was diagnosed with agressive Rheumatoid Arthritis 2 years ago. Im on a combination of Methotrexate (chemotherapy) anti TNF drug Eternacept, and morphine among others for pain relief.
    I spoke to my general practitioner this morning at my weekly blood checks who reccomended this site and the primal diet.
    In the past I've noticed that if I fast (and by fast I mean water only) for 24 hours the following day my symptoms do seem to ease. It was this that prompted my GP to mention Marks daily apple. I thought I'd give it a try, I'm desperate enough to try anything to stop the pain, i have 60 joints affected and a blood inflammation level of 97. I am hopeful that the diet will try to limit the sheer amount of joint damage and bone degredation that this disease causes. Thanks for reading this extremely long winded post! I will endeavour to let you know if there is any improvement in a month or so.
    Regards Poppy X
    Welcome! I hope primal helps you. If you don't mind my asking, was it your CRP that was 97? Or another marker?

Poppyg1rl is offline Junior Member
    Hi
    Yes my crp is 97, it's actually decreased, as in May it was 106 and I was hospitalised for 2 weeks with breathing difficulties, my lungs are affected and I'm due to have my ribs operated with a view to removal in March.
    Thanks Poppy X
    love and light - grá agus solas

Make sure you get the book and don't just try to make sense of the forum. Bulletproof coffee may have some primal ingredients, but it won't be in the book.

It is also my opinion that if you want to do intermittent fasting (fasting that's less than a day usually) then it is far easier once you have adapted to a low carb version of this diet. You can then go without food without stress. The reason why is once you train your body to use ketones and its own body fat for fuel instead of glycogen from carbohydrate metabolism, your body just switches over to its body fat reserves and you never feel a loss of energy or brain power.

I'm going to have to check out what the BP guy says about bulletproof fasting. Thanks for the lead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast